General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

VA/NC/SC Members chime in

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2016, 02:27 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

VA/NC/SC Members chime in

There is a concerted effort being made to grow participation numbers to "revitalize" Mid Atlantic Olds. Anyone previously associated with this club and any newbies interested in seeing what is going on are encouraged to PM with your email information. A FB page has been established as well so check that out at your leisure.
Old September 27th, 2016, 03:43 AM
Oldsdruid

You're talking to the guy who started that chapter 26 years ago and still has its original charter in his possession. Between me walking out of the OCA board in 2000 and serious life changes for a lot of the circa-2000 chapter membership, MAOC kinda faded away. Happy to say one of the biggest problems we had and the reason I left the Board is no longer in a position to keep me pissed off all the time. If I heard today that SOB was dead, I'd probably say good riddance.

I talked with Julian and Jimmy in Kingsport and I'm in if MAOC restarts. Y'all are gonna make me do FB, aren't you?

You know, before Thursday afternoon of Nats I'd had six people ask me to run for Zone Director again, and almost everyone I talked with wanted to know when we were going to do a National or Zone Show in NC again. Well- the first thing is to have a chapter group to do the work.

I told the old MAOC group who were in KP it might have been a good thing we weren't still active, because we'd have been the closest group to Kingsport and would have had a whole lotta work! Hey, we pulled it off in Greensboro in 1995, with a core group of 11 people.

Glenn
ASE Zone Director 1990-2000
Old September 27th, 2016, 06:53 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Originally Posted by rocketraider
You're talking to the guy who has its original charter in his possession. I talked with Julian and Jimmy in Kingsport and I'm in. Y'all are gonna make me do FB, aren't you?

Glenn
ASE Zone Director 1990-2000
I'm not privy to all the history nor do I want to be. I say leave the history to the cars and look forward to something positive. You've got the charter and Jimmy has the tent and there are about 15 folks in the Charlotte area alone who would be interested in getting something going again. Where 2 or more are gathered you can have a party and just maybe a club. And it doesn't have to be OCA affiliated.

There is alot of new enthusiasm and a host of younger Olds owners that are the future of this brand staying alive. We need to embrace that and them. We need to be open to new ideas. PM me your information and let's get this rocket fired up.

You don't have to do Fakebook.
Old September 28th, 2016, 12:42 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

ttt
Old September 29th, 2016, 12:08 PM
Olds Nut

im in
Old September 29th, 2016, 03:03 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Originally Posted by m455sx
im in
Thanks
Old September 30th, 2016, 03:42 AM
Oldsdruid

Marcus, if you can find some of the old Eastern VA Olds Club folks they'd be a lot closer as they were based in Richmond, and I'd like to see that chapter restart too. I'll dig around and see if I can find some old names. George and Linda Cosier come to mind.

Brian, even in the age of internet, you may have to do what I did years ago. Get Shar Pearson to send you a list of VA/NC/SC OCA members and do a couple of mailings, or if the member list has email addresses, do it that way.
Old October 11th, 2016, 09:19 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Tuesday bump
Old December 21st, 2016, 01:39 PM
Oldsdruid

Let's bump this TTT again. Talked with one of the old MAOC chapter presidents Monday and he's interested too. He's in Greensboro.

Brian you have a PM.
Old December 21st, 2016, 01:56 PM
Olds Nut

Marcus, if you can find some of the old Eastern VA Olds Club folks they'd be a lot closer as they were based in Richmond, and I'd like to see that chapter restart too. I'll dig around and see if I can find some old names. George and Linda Cosier come to mind.

Brian, even in the age of internet, you may have to do what I did years ago. Get Shar Pearson to send you a list of VA/NC/SC OCA members and do a couple of mailings, or if the member list has email addresses, do it that way.
I have to apologize as I just seen this!!! I talk to George all the time. I will call him tomorrow and find out about old crew???.
Old December 21st, 2016, 02:10 PM
Oldsdruid

Hmm- Smoky Mountain has restarted, MAOC in the works, and possibly EVOC too? I'm smellin' a ZONE SHOW before too long!

I just emailed Waverlyn Karch 'bout 2017 H/O Day, looking into possibility of having one at VIR since I'm retired and might now have time to put one together. VIR having HyperFest usual H/O Day weekend so we could show up for that without renting VIR for a small group. I would have no issue with a mini-Olds meet in conjunction with H/O Day, featuring Hurst/Olds with other Rockets backing us up!

http://virnow.com/events/hyperfest/ Y'all look this over and see if you think we could work out something. Very informal gathering, maybe a cookout and just pay general VIR admission unless we can work out a discount. Then maybe hit a local restaurant for dinner. VIR has on-site lodging ($$$ though) and there's B&B's and motels in Danville and South Boston VA and Roxboro and Yanceyville NC.
Old December 21st, 2016, 05:16 PM
Old(s) Fart

Hmm- Smoky Mountain has restarted, MAOC in the works, and possibly EVOC too? I'm smellin' a ZONE SHOW before too long!

I just emailed Waverlyn Karch 'bout 2017 H/O Day, looking into possibility of having one at VIR since I'm retired and might now have time to put one together. VIR having HyperFest usual H/O Day weekend so we could show up for that without renting VIR for a small group. I would have no issue with a mini-Olds meet in conjunction with H/O Day, featuring Hurst/Olds with other Rockets backing us up!

http://virnow.com/events/hyperfest/ Y'all look this over and see if you think we could work out something. Very informal gathering, maybe a cookout and just pay general VIR admission unless we can work out a discount. Then maybe hit a local restaurant for dinner. VIR has on-site lodging ($$$ though) and there's B&B's and motels in Danville and South Boston VA and Roxboro and Yanceyville NC.
Keep us in the loop, Glenn. Some CCR members would like to drive down as well.
Old December 21st, 2016, 09:08 PM
Forward into the Past

I'm in Greensboro and potentially interested but I don't do Facebook.
Old December 22nd, 2016, 05:13 AM

Glenn,
This sounds like a great idea! VIR has a fantastic facility. My son and I go up there for the IMSA WeatherTech series races and the Vintage Heacock race.
Let us know of any developments, and what we can do to help.
Old December 22nd, 2016, 07:19 PM

Interested

In Fayetteville and interested.
V/R
Old December 23rd, 2016, 02:26 PM
Oldsdruid

2017 H/O Day is May 20 so I'm gonna get to work on this. As a H/O Day we'll have to feature the Hurst cars but a good showing of Oldsmobiles would be the thing!

In meantime start letting your folks know it's in the works for May 20. Again, something very informal. No classes, no judging, just getting together again.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 02:40 PM

I am in , close enough to bring my small collection of original hurst olds. Would like to meet some if the so many people who have helped with my searches and guestions along the way. Looking foward to updates
Old December 28th, 2016, 08:23 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Alright, sounds good. Can I ask for PMs with your email addresses from those interested in MAOC-Carolinas?
Old January 22nd, 2017, 03:39 PM
Oldsdruid

Still trying to work out H/O Day at VIR but I've hit a snag.

That HyperFest group has rented the entire VIR facility for that weekend and consequently I have to go thru THEM to get us in. Waiting on a reply from them.

Just curious- there's 15 or so H/OCA members in a 100 mile radius who'd probably come, but how many more of y'all would come? I told HF 35-40 cars.

Might have to find a city park with cookout facility or something. We did a very successful Zone Show at Tanglewood Park in Clemmons NC in 1993 but it's a little late to put one together there.
Old January 25th, 2017, 03:09 PM
Oldsdruid

Heard back from the HyperFest guys and they would be happy to have us, and the guy in charge loves Hurst/Olds! So I'm gonna get busy.

Other than informal gathering and meal, what would y'all in the VA/NC/SC area like to see? Keep in mind NO judging, NO trophies. I will try to get a dash plaque or some other memento.
Old March 29th, 2017, 10:56 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

TTT

Charlotte AutoFair is but a week away. Those of you in the Carolinas/Virginia who are planning to attend, thinking about attending, mulling it over, etc - please join us! Last fall we filled 20 spots on the front stretch grass and had a great time. A good showing from 1950s thru 1970s. We'd love to see you there this spring. PM for more details.

Old May 12th, 2017, 07:51 AM
Olds Nut

Heard back from the HyperFest guys and they would be happy to have us, and the guy in charge loves Hurst/Olds! So I'm gonna get busy.

Other than informal gathering and meal, what would y'all in the VA/NC/SC area like to see? Keep in mind NO judging, NO trophies. I will try to get a dash plaque or some other memento.
Are we still on planning to meet next weekend?
Old May 12th, 2017, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by m455sx
Are we still on planning to meet next weekend?
m455sx- This thread should have the information you are looking for:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ky-please.html
Old May 18th, 2017, 02:31 PM
Oldsdruid

I've told the Hyperfest folks that we won't be there as a group, but that some folks may show up for their event.

Maybe next year...
Old May 19th, 2017, 05:34 AM
Olds Nut

I think maybe you will get better responses through Facebook/Oldsmobile pages??? This forum has less exposure unless you are looking for something in particular.