rocker stands?

Old April 11th, 2012, 06:38 PM

rocker stands?

ok guys, putting my 70 455 back together {stock build} and waiting for heads to come back from machine shop. i had a friend who was a olds freak back in the 80s-90s and remember helping him put a couple motors together and i thought we changed the stock aluminum rocker stands {i think thats what there called?} out for steel ones because the aluminum ones broke. what do you guys say?
charlie,,,
Old April 11th, 2012, 06:55 PM

I am not familiar with stock steel style stands or bridges. The rockers were iron/steel but the bridges are a babbit or aluminum.

Last edited by Oldsmaniac; April 11th, 2012 at 06:57 PM. Reason: omitted word
Old April 11th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Crane used to sell the "improved style" 3-piece steel rocker pivots & bridges to replace the factory 1-piece cast aluminum parts.
I think maybe Sealed Power still makes them.
Old April 11th, 2012, 08:07 PM

There is a better Pivot/Bridge available. Elgin and as said maybe Sealed Power. It's two seperate Pivots and a steel bridge..stronger and the pivots are Oil Grooved and the steel Bridge will not break like the stock cast Bridge.

Just a reminder to check the Lifter Pre-load when you re-assemble...shims are available if it is too deep, or you can sand or file a bit off the base of the pivot if you need to add more. Not preaching, but I see this neglected often.

Danny
Old April 12th, 2012, 05:19 AM

Just a reminder to check the Lifter Pre-load when you re-assemble...shims are available if it is too deep, or you can sand or file a bit off the base of the pivot if you need to add more. Not preaching, but I see this neglected often.

Danny[/QUOTE]

sounds like a lot of extra work. maybe i will just modify it buy dropping a sbc in it instead. i dont see this as preaching but good info that i and others can use. thanks for the tips!!!
charlie,,
Old April 12th, 2012, 08:31 AM

I have used the aftermarket stands on a set of rockers marketed by Crane several years ago. They work, but when tightening the bolts you have to be very careful that the pivots don't turn a bit and bend the stamped steel bridges, letting the rocker get cocked sideways. I have had no trouble with the stock aluminum stands so long as one side isn't tightened all the way first, and the side with some tension on it because a lifter is partway up a lobe is tightened some first so there isn't tension on the pivot trying to break it.