QA1 Coil Overs for Drag Racing?

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2012, 08:30 PM

QA1 Coil Overs for Drag Racing?

Does anyone have any experience using the QA1 Coil Over shocks / springs for a drag car? I like the compact system and the adjustability of the system...

http://www.qa1.net/qa1_motorsports/drag-and-street/shocks-and-struts/stock-mount-shocks-and-struts/other-gm-pro-coil-systems/r-series.html

BUT -
Are they better than the Moroso trick springs with QA1 90-10 shock?
Old April 18th, 2012, 04:28 AM

The Coilover Conversions work very well. We control how much we pull the wheels with just a click or two. We can also adjust the ride heigth. Preload can be changed too, but that is mainly done on the rear.
They work good but........I have the A-arm bushings modified. Trimmed them and installed plastic (?) washers so the rubber doesn't touch and bind against the frame. If they bind it hampers the shock adjustment alot.
Had to replace the springs after 4 years of wheel stands I had 250 pound springs for as much transfer as possible QA-1 wanted us to use 350#. They settled with 300# but we had no success with those, so we got 250s back. BINGO works again! In case you are wondering, my car's average 60' is a 1.30. It has done a 1.27 but that had to be on a short 60......LOL.

PS. They work much better than the Morosos with CE shocks.

Last edited by 380 Racer; April 18th, 2012 at 04:31 AM.
Old April 18th, 2012, 09:56 AM

I was considering going to Coil overs because my car was built with the 2" drop spindles and the front is very low. I have the Moroso springs with QA-1 with the two adjustment ***** ( one for Rebound and one for Compression), and just added two clicks to compression last night to firm up the " re-entry " on the way back down from the wheelstands.

I spoke with Dick Miller last week and he is a fan of the coilovers, but as said in the previous post, you may need some adjustment or minor modifications to fit them.

Danny
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:42 AM

I just restored my front end...the only thing I have yet to replace is the springs and shocks. I installed poly bushings so they don't hamper motion as the control arm travels up and down. I really want to use the coilovers now, thanks guys! I need to get the car weighed now so I know which set to order. PS, summit does sell them but you have to search the exact part number or it won't show up in the online store. They want $489 for them.

380, what does your car weigh by chance? Mine is only lightened by the cast iron that was replaced w/ aluminum on the engine, and the lightweight fiberglass hood.

Also, do you suggest the "R" series or the double adjustable?

Steve
Old April 18th, 2012, 03:43 PM

My car weighs 3250, race ready. Haven't weighed the front end only. Figure 54%?. My small block is a DX with the block filled. I have RR heads and intake which are quite heavy for aluminum.

I bought mine before they offered double adjustable, so I have a single ****. They seem to work good tho. With the A-arms unloaded (no shocls or springs) I can lift any of them up all the way, let go and they drop like a rock..........ZERO resistance, so the shock dictates how things react.
Old April 18th, 2012, 04:04 PM

I've got them on my 88 Cutlass Prostreeter and my 67 442 both with w/ tubular A arms. Work great at strip. But it takes some time to adjust them for the street use. Have never regreted installing them. You live pretty close. I live just down 59 from you. Give me a PM. And we can get together and you can seem them. Always nice to see another OLDSMOBILE FAN.
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by OLDSMORAT
I've got them on my 88 Cutlass Prostreeter and my 67 442 both with w/ tubular A arms. Work great at strip. But it takes some time to adjust them for the street use. Have never regreted installing them. You live pretty close. I live just down 59 from you. Give me a PM. And we can get together and you can seem them. Always nice to see another OLDSMOBILE FAN.
PM sent...you should come out for track nights when we go. It'll be a few weeks but we should be going when I get the car back up.
Old April 19th, 2012, 08:25 PM

Cool i will email you. I have lots of knowledge about Oldsmobiles. I builit my own 67 442 when i was younger. At Oldsmobile plant in Lansing. from 1966 to 1970. than i when to Demmer corp. And bulit Hurst Oldsmobiles till 1975. So I've seen lots of 442's and Hurst olds. Lot of true muscle cars I've bulit plus some strange ones nobody knows about.