Payton Hunts New year Design

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2019, 01:26 PM

Payton Hunts New Head Design

This young man has made a very nice new head posted on Facebook and on ROP. With expectations to make a version that will allow for water cooling. Talking about a Block. Wow Racing may be getting lots more new products for Oldsmobile that we all said was needed. Awesome does not describe what this young man is doing.😀

Last edited by wr1970; December 14th, 2019 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Title error
Old December 13th, 2019, 01:39 PM
Beer Connoisseur

I've seen that on FB, impressive to say the least.
Old December 16th, 2019, 09:14 PM

who has the FB post ? I did see the raw casting and core box. That is pretty impressive, but lots of work ahead to scale
Old December 17th, 2019, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by olds403
who has the FB post ? I did see the raw casting and core box. That is pretty impressive, but lots of work ahead to scale
The ROP head was posted on Facebook by Payton Hunt.
Old December 17th, 2019, 08:03 AM

So, for those that don't go to ROP or Fakebook, post something here. Who is Payton Hunt ? Thanks
Old December 17th, 2019, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
So, for those that don't go to ROP or Fakebook, post something here. Who is Payton Hunt ? Thanks
He is the son of Russell Hunt. Russell has a twin turbo dragster that is i think the fastest olds power car. Runs in the 6seconds range. This young man is setting the bar. Took classes in school to learn about how to make sand cast molds. You want pictures you need a guy who can post these pictures of the ROP heads. He has cast the head now he will finish and make rockers for the valves. He is ambitious young man. I think he is 21 yrs old.😄 Oh he is to be clear making two race versions of this head . One with water one no water. Posted a model of the intake on ROP. He is planning on a block also.

Last edited by wr1970; December 17th, 2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old December 17th, 2019, 12:59 PM

Checkout ROP for pics and a little info..

​​​​​​​
Old December 17th, 2019, 04:28 PM

I think it’s great that someone would take the time and energy to do a project like this, hats off to you Peyton.
The only thing I can say is, everyone seems to get excited when they see stuff like this, and that’s fine. But all too often good parts come to market, and then die on the vine. That’s why companies are hesitant to bring out new product for the Olds community. Unfortunately that’s why it takes the drive and desire from private individuals to do it instead of large companies. But if large companies don’t do it it just gets too expensive coming from only the private sector.
Case in point, Edelbrock has the Victor intake, and the small block one isn’t selling. We run the risk of it being discontinued unless something else comes along to make it a more viable piece😉.
All I’m saying is do what you can to support all the new items, from large companies or private individuals either way. Ultimately it’ll benefit everyone.

Last edited by cutlassefi; December 17th, 2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old December 17th, 2019, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
I think it’s great that someone would take the time and energy to do a project like this, hats off to you Peyton.
The only thing I can say is, everyone seems to get excited when they see stuff like this, and that’s fine. But all too often good parts come to market, and then die on the vine. That’s why companies are hesitant to bring out new product for the Olds community. Unfortunately that’s why it takes the drive and desire from private individuals to do it instead of large companies. But if large companies don’t do it it just gets too expensive coming from only the private sector.
Case in point, Edelbrock has the Victor intake, and the small block one isn’t selling. We run the risk of it being discontinued unless something else comes along to make it a more viable piece😉.
All I’m saying is do what you can to support all the new items, from large companies or private individuals either way. Ultimately it’ll benefit everyone.
Mark I agree on most points except this one if a guy can make parts on his own that is better than a big company that tells you the big company R&D department sucks. Has no pulse on what products are wanted and the overhead to do such products maybe the problem. How many Oldsmobile heads were made over the years by ebrocks before they made the next version. Seems they wanted to squeeze $$for old head too long saying they weren't making money. Could it be they didn't understand the need of the head. To be able to support more horse power with better flow. To keep pace with other brand heads. I think it was lack of concern and smaller market demand these are good enough you olds guys need to move on. Which now is driving private sector to the upgrade of parts. I do not care where the parts come from as long as they work right and cost is affordable.

Last edited by wr1970; December 17th, 2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old December 18th, 2019, 05:35 PM

It seems that all of the "small guy" offerings suffer from some sort of quality issues. Batten, Bulldog, Mondello/Knowlton, Wenzler, etc. all are known for some sort of flaws, mainly castings that are soft or leak water. I wish him well but with the billet heads available from Kellen Brown they would need to be considerably less expensive and prove themselves to be a quality casting to make it worth the risk to buy them. With a billet there is no casting porosity to worry about and they are easy to weld if you ever need to make a repair down the road.
Old December 19th, 2019, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by chadman
It seems that all of the "small guy" offerings suffer from some sort of quality issues. Batten, Bulldog, Mondello/Knowlton, Wenzler, etc. all are known for some sort of flaws, mainly castings that are soft or leak water. I wish him well but with the billet heads available from Kellen Brown they would need to be considerably less expensive and prove themselves to be a quality casting to make it worth the risk to buy them. With a billet there is no casting porosity to worry about and they are easy to weld if you ever need to make a repair down the road.
I do not think he has or will set a price till tested. Billet is always better.