Need Header Guidance

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2019, 10:44 AM

Need Header Guidance

Installing 455 in my 67 Olds. Bought a set of stainless headers off ebay and tried putting them in right after I got motor bolted in (2261mounts, engine sits in there beautifully). Driver side header is big problem. While it slides up in there easily, and does lug onto the first (forward) header bolt, flange isnt flush with head as bottom of header is swung too far outboard. If I pull it in to close flushness gap, it hits motor mount and crossmember. Right side wont go in at all but i think if the engine was raised on pass side 3 or 4 inches, would probably fit fine. The drivers header is my big problem right now. What headers do I buy for this combo?
Old June 17th, 2019, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Chris6542

Installing 455 in my 67 Olds. Bought a set of stainless headers off ebay and tried putting them in right after I got motor bolted in (2261mounts, engine sits in there beautifully). Driver side header is big problem. While it slides up in there easily, and does lug onto the first (forward) header bolt, flange isnt flush with head as bottom of header is swung too far outboard. If I pull it in to close flushness gap, it hits motor mount and crossmember. Right side wont go in at all but i think if the engine was raised on pass side 3 or 4 inches, would probably fit fine. The drivers header is my big problem right now. What headers do I buy for this combo?
Having to modify any headers is not that unusual regardless of brand, or price. Those you have are probably the clones of a hooker pair. Putting headers on is quite a learning experience many times and quite frustrating. And hammers, grinders, band-aids, and torches are sometimes needed, as is undoing the motor mounts to raise the motor in some cases.
Old June 17th, 2019, 12:09 PM

Response

Certainly agree. Headers can be a trying experience. These are clones of something, probably Hooker. They are very meaty and the workmanship impresses me (thick flange, beautiful welds, stainless, etc). As i look at my pic here of left header and other header sets, there is a very real difference in the front tube. On mine, it just slants down on a 45 deg angle, whereas on some other Olds headers, it flows parallel to flange till it gets under the 2nd tube, then down (this is what I need). Got a hunch these i bought, while billed for 65 to like 75, are really for 68+ Cutlass. Thanks for the thoughts.
Old June 17th, 2019, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Chris6542
Certainly agree. Headers can be a trying experience. These are clones of something, probably Hooker. They are very meaty and the workmanship impresses me (thick flange, beautiful welds, stainless, etc). As i look at my pic here of left header and other header sets, there is a very real difference in the front tube. On mine, it just slants down on a 45 deg angle, whereas on some other Olds headers, it flows parallel to flange till it gets under the 2nd tube, then down (this is what I need). Got a hunch these i bought, while billed for 65 to like 75, are really for 68+ Cutlass. Thanks for the thoughts.
OK, well this article shows a different set,, with a big dent in number 3 just to get them to fit

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1967...tlass-headers/