Gas Small Block with C Heads BTR Build

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2022, 07:53 AM

Care to explain, or just remain vague? What causes the pan to drop oil pressure? What modifications were necessary?
Old October 14th, 2022, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by fleming442
Wallace calculator says 847.18.
True to form, you post track numbers and Chevy builds on an Oldsmobile board. Are you strictly here to troll Mark with Dale? That's what it looks like from here.
How about contributing some information that could help someone? WHY are Mark's builds so inferior to yours? HOW do you correct the anomalies ? WHAT should be the standard for hp/cu in IN AN OLDSMOBILE engine?
I see nothing but trolling from your worthless dribble.
Great questions.
Yes, let’s set the record straight. First of all, I check everything. Even a shop with multiple employees doing a full machining and build should do the same. And let’s not forget, Velcro does 90+% Chevys. Can you adjust bearing clearances “on the fly”. Yep, why? Simple. Chevrolets have a myriad of bearings available from a host of manufacturers, ie ACL, Clevite, Federal Mogul, King and even Vandervell. Not only do you typically have minor differences in shell thickness from one manufacturer to another, but you can also get .009 unders, .010 unders, .011 unders and so on. So you can see how much easier it is to get the clearances you want. I just did a Stroker BBO with an Eagle crank. The rods were already .010 under but on the big side. Being the fact that it uses a BBC rod I was able to get a .009 under bearing and got the clearance I wanted.
However on an Olds we don’t have that luxury, namely just 2 manufacturers for the most part, Clevite and Federal Mogul/Speed pro. And we don’t have all the different undersizes either, it’s either std, .010, .020 and so on so you better have a real good handle on your journal and housing sizes going in. Otherwise you won’t be able to get what you want by switching out bearings. And you’re not going to grind .0003 or even .0005 off the crank to get there. Once it’s out of the chucks it’s real hard to relocate.
And as far as piston to wall clearance goes, if your machinist can’t get this right then you need to find another machinist, period.
Crank mods- I can do these too. But in most cases it’s not warranted. And if the customer doesn’t want to pay for it, then are they to be forced to do so? There are thousands of Olds builds out there that are still running without any mods at all.
Dyno Proven numbers- Velcro , so if you Dyno a build but the owner has no intention of racing it, are you going to demand that they do? Or if they’re a shitty driver, are you going to demand that you drive their car to “validate” the Dyno numbers?
So as is typical with Velcro, basically his whole post is an apples to watermelons comparison.
Nice shop though.

Last edited by cutlassefi; October 14th, 2022 at 08:25 AM.
Old October 14th, 2022, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by VORTECPRO
An Olds just like a Chevy drop oil pressure @ hi RPM if the pan isn't right.
Thanks, well aware, I'm neither new or young. Just interested in some insight of whether Moroso should be a preferred brand since I cannot dyno test them all. Really haven't paid enough attention to windage control in the past.
Please don't misunderstand/misread me.
I'm mostly online to see what others do and learn from those with more resources, and perhaps lend answers to some that they've not yet gotten or a different perspective, ( maybe even try to correct misguided advice). In other words - I have some background, but always learning. I do pay forward if possible.
Old October 14th, 2022, 08:49 AM

What I was getting at on setting clearance on the fly is: As you know a housing bore has a high side spec and a low side spec, as I hone that hosing bore I can set it exactly where I want the clearance to be, which allows me to get much more precise than using half size bearings. And actually I set the main journal clearance while the block is still on the line hone, so I can make adjustments, a definite advantage. And then the Sunnen dial bore gauge gives different number than a Mititoyo, not to say it can't work, but the Sunnen is better. Good to see you survived the storm!
Old October 14th, 2022, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by 68post
Thanks, well aware, I'm neither new or young. Just interested in some insight of whether Moroso should be a preferred brand since I cannot dyno test them all. Really haven't paid enough attention to windage control in the past.
Please don't misunderstand/misread me.
I'm mostly online to see what others do and learn from those with more resources, and perhaps lend answers to some that they've not yet gotten or a different perspective, ( maybe even try to correct misguided advice). In other words - I have some background, but always learning. I do pay forward if possible.

No problem, never did mis read you. Feel free to PM me.
Old October 14th, 2022, 09:19 AM
Pete

Pete

Wheres your fuel flow, I want to compare them to Bill's test.
7L so you say.................
As Requested.

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
"YOU can't make a measly 1.29hp/ci with a 4" crank and iron heads".
You're right. But apparently Bill T. can't either it seems, his made 1.19hp/ci. Mine made 1.13hp/ci as stated. Hmm, just .06 less than Bill's with a half point less compression, an out of the box Brawler vs a high dollar AED, and an RPM vs a Victor. You would think his would've made way more hp than lil ole me with a Victor than an RPM apples to apples right?

Here's another one that can't even come close to making 1.29hp/ci like you Peter. Paul Tester did a 403 based stroker build last year with one of my cranks, made about 470hp with more cam than you, Gen II Edelbrocks and an RPM. It was around 460ci, so that's barely 1.00hp per ci right? Why don't you question why he can't make anywhere near your numbers? Again seems like nobody can but you.
It would seem logical Paul Tester isn't dumb enough to PM me on FB without all the facts and based solely on his opinion of why my numbers are wrong, so it doesn't require a response. You're the one that decided to publicly makes this a debate by stating your opinion. And that's all you have so far is your opinion and anecdotal evidence. I was respectful enough of your reputation to be willing to listen if you had valid reasons why it was wrong, but all you could offer was what other people and yourself have done so far.

And I didn't chase you on FB. If you haven't figured it out yet, friend requests are somewhat random, friends of friends and so on. Yours came across my page, I simply clicked "Confirm". Feel free to reverse that if you like.
Again, it's like you don't even understand how this works. I posted a few things in the Olds forums, you sent me a request, I accepted YOUR request on my personal page with reservations, knowing of your reputation over the last several years. But I try not to judge a person by their internet reputation, so I let you in. As it turns out, you weren't interested in getting to know me, your just the typical looky-loo that is on the internet all the time watching what everyone else is doing.

"A basic 383ci SBC makes better power than your 429ci build does". Really?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mll-bp38318ctc1d

Just had one on my dyno, it actually made 431, or 1.125hp/ci. Hmmmm.
I said a basic 383, not a lame duck 383. I have Vortec headed 355s that makes more steam on a Stuska than that POS. And that dyno owner claimed "I build that combo all the time, it makes 415-420hp." He got pretty excited when mine made 456hp/458lbs on his "stingy"dyno.
RPM AG, Chinese heads, cast Scat crank, 2-Bolt block, tiny HR. BASIC 388ci. 1.35hp/ci

BASIC W31, 353ci. 1.19hp/ci, iron intake, iron heads, tiny HR cam, pump gas.

Just in the last couple of weeks you’ve gone from asking me to pm you a Dyno sheet, that you said you wouldn’t share with anyone, to basically calling me a chest pounding idiot that doesn’t know what different manifolds will do. I’m done trying to figure you out. I don’t ever recall pissing in YOUR corn flakes but whatever.
Have a nice day Dale.
I'd recommend not pissing in other peoples corn flakes if you can't back your accusations with facts.
Sorry to hear your shop was flooded, I can imagine the frustration with dealing with that mess.
Old October 14th, 2022, 09:47 AM

It's awesome having the 3 world's greatest engine builders on our little Oldsmobile forum.
Old October 14th, 2022, 10:21 AM

Peter, Apparently nothing is private with you, Dale and Velcro. I’ve learned that now. And trust me I never chased you on Facebook, I’ve never chased ANYBODY on Facebook. Again I don’t think YOU understand how that works.
Old October 14th, 2022, 01:16 PM

Here you go. The Blueprint 383 I mentioned before. Advertised is 436/443. Here’s the Dyno sheet that came with the engine, serial numbers match. And here’s MY

Dyno sheet. Same pull rate, same correction factor, exact same engine, different Dyno. I get slammed if I even just suggest something. So you guys are the Dyno experts, you figure it out.

Last edited by cutlassefi; October 14th, 2022 at 01:24 PM.
Old October 14th, 2022, 02:26 PM

Here you go. The Blueprint 383 I mentioned before. Advertised is 436/443. Here’s the Dyno sheet that came with the engine, serial numbers match. And here’s MY

Dyno sheet. Same pull rate, same correction factor, exact same engine, different Dyno. I get slammed if I even just suggest something. So you guys are the Dyno experts, you figure it out.
When I see that STPIP BS I just shake my head..............

My experience with the pan print dyno is it gives correct HP as long is your inputs are correct-and that means the inertia factor and baro, temp, and humidity. You know I never see you posting any of those 455 500 plus HP builds with the pro comp heads any more since you got this dyno, WHY? Did you stop building 455 Olds?

"So you guys are the Dyno experts, you figure it out"

Ok-you like to play games with the inertia factor? I've always figured that seeing you refuse to show supporting data on your tests.

Last edited by VORTECPRO; October 14th, 2022 at 02:40 PM.
Old October 14th, 2022, 03:07 PM

I just emailed my Dyno guy at L&S earlier today regarding setup. I explained how I was setting the inertia calculator in the dyno. He agreed it was correct.
i have another weather station hanging right next to the one connected to my Dyno, they read within a couple of degrees and tenths of Baro of each other.
My typical correction factor is 5-6%. This past Saturday when I ran that 383 it was about 3.5%. It was a decent day out here. Normally is after a storm.
And yes I still do 455’s. Last one made 514/571 with a pos Holley TBI system on it.
Old October 14th, 2022, 04:45 PM

Now I don't want you to go all this on us when I post what I'am about to post

I think the pan print dyno (yours) gives a very realistic HP number when everything is entered right. I very much believe your numbers currently on the pan print dyno.
Old October 14th, 2022, 04:50 PM

I just emailed my Dyno guy at L&S earlier today regarding setup. I explained how I was setting the inertia calculator in the dyno. He agreed it was correct.
i have another weather station hanging right next to the one connected to my Dyno, they read within a couple of degrees and tenths of Baro of each other.
My typical correction factor is 5-6%. This past Saturday when I ran that 383 it was about 3.5%. It was a decent day out here. Normally is after a storm.
And yes I still do 455’s. Last one made 514/571 with a pos Holley TBI system on it.
Whats your baro run down there?
Old October 14th, 2022, 05:11 PM

Whats your baro run down there?
What time of year?
Everything is entered right. I’ve sent some of my files to L&S for verification in the past. They confirmed the ones I sent were configured correctly.

Last edited by cutlassefi; October 14th, 2022 at 05:14 PM.
Old October 14th, 2022, 05:16 PM

When I see that STPIP BS I just shake my head..............
Why?
Old October 14th, 2022, 05:24 PM

Why?
Over correction. Whats the highest baro you've seen down there?
Old October 15th, 2022, 05:02 AM

Over correction. Whats the highest baro you've seen down there?
I’ll have to look at some past sessions.
Old October 15th, 2022, 06:50 AM

I’ll have to look at some past sessions.
I remember my last session 29.19, you really don't remember a record high baro?
Old October 15th, 2022, 08:40 AM
Duh

Originally Posted by fleming442
Care to explain, or just remain vague? What causes the pan to drop oil pressure? What modifications were necessary?
Your funny 😂🤣😂
Old October 15th, 2022, 08:49 AM
Duh

Here's another one that can't even come close to making 1.29hp/ci like you Peter. Paul Tester did a 403 based stroker build last year with one of my cranks, made about 470hp with more cam than you, Gen II Edelbrocks and an RPM. It was around 460ci, so that's barely 1.00hp per ci right? Why don't you question why he can't make anywhere near your numbers?
Why are you dragging Paul into this? The 403 your talking about is meant to be mild so it won't blow up, the customer knows this. Now let's see he did a 374 for my buddy with #5 heads with a light porting and used an intake that hasn't been made in more than 30 years with a Qjet and made 1.26+. Stick to your own pond before you drown.

Last edited by Duh; October 15th, 2022 at 11:16 AM.
Old October 15th, 2022, 11:19 AM

Not at all. I like and respect Paul a lot.
Just a simple example that everything will not always make what you think it might, for one reason or another.
And that Stroker 403 Motorhome build had a decent amount of cam in for the target. Just an fyi.
Old October 15th, 2022, 11:26 AM

I remember my last session 29.19, you really don't remember a record high baro?
This is one reason why you and I don’t get along.
Most times my customers give me a hp number they’d like to have, NOT an ET/MPH they’re trying to hit. I pretty much know what combinations will make what corrected power and tq. I always look at my weather, and being in Florida most of my life, I know what to expect different times of the year. So far I’ve had ONE day where my correction came in at less than 0, once. So unless something doesn’t look quite right for what would be typical for that day and season, I don’t pay too much attention to it.
For the umpteenth time, I don’t drag race, and 95+% of my customers don’t either, so the weather isn’t as important. And with more and more doing EFI, it’s even less so.

Last edited by cutlassefi; October 15th, 2022 at 11:29 AM.
Old October 15th, 2022, 01:41 PM

Not at all. I like and respect Paul a lot.
Just a simple example that everything will not always make what you think it might, for one reason or another.
And that Stroker 403 Motorhome build had a decent amount of cam in for the target. Just an fyi.
What does this mean,, everything will not always make what you think it might?

is that your opinion on that build or someone else’s?

a link to it would be good since you’re talking about it…seems like a swipe at another builder to me.

Last edited by CANADIANOLDS; October 15th, 2022 at 01:47 PM.
Old October 15th, 2022, 02:23 PM

Hold on here, as I assemble an engine I can't get it out of my head you don't know your Barometer, the barometer is the first thing you enter and then the inertia factor before you start testing, I test on your pan print dyno I know. And its not a 6 percent correction its a 1.06 it has nothing to do with percents. Whats going on here is this your dyno or someone else's? Know wonder you don't want me seeing your supporting data! I'am not saying your HP data isn't accurate or even low, maybe your robbing your self on HP. I've never seen a dyno operator that couldn't tell me the baro their testing at, now on a chassis dyno thats another story.

Honestly Mark if your not entering the absolute (uncorrected) barometer into the dyno every time you test it not accurate, anyone will tell that.

You can go to air density online for your weather inputs
https://airdensityonline.com

Current weather* for

Auburndale Speedway

Share:
Facebook Post
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=https://airdensityonline.com/track-results/Auburndale_Speedway&text=Air%20Density%20Online&hashtags=engine%20tuning,weather,air%20density http://www.linkedin.com/shareArticle?mini=true&url=https://airdensityonline.com/track-results/Auburndale_Speedway&title=AirDensityOnline https://www.reddit.com/submit?url=https://airdensityonline.com/track-results/Auburndale_Speedway&title=AirDensityOnline http://pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?url=https://airdensityonline.com/track-results/Auburndale_Speedway&media=https://airdensityonline.com/images/ado-logo.gif&description==Current%20and%20forecasted%20air%20density%20and%20density%20altitude

in Winter Haven, Florida

• temperature = 81.81 deg f
  • relative humidity = 68 %
  • uncorrected barometer* = 29.89 inHg
  • corrected barometer* = 30.02 inHg
  • wind speed = 10.5 mph
  • wind direction* = NE (82°)
  • more info: current metric | historical | forecast | help
  • dew point = 70 deg f
  • saturation pressure = 1.096 inHg
  • vapor pressure = 0.745 inHg
  • grains = 111.3