Factory Air Cleaning Housing, Restriction?

Old May 20th, 2013, 07:51 PM

Factory Air Cleaning Housing, Restriction?

I hope this falls under high performance.

I'd like to use a factory style dual snorkel air cleaning housing, but I'm unsure if it will cause a restriction at all? My small block makes 365 RWHP at 6,000 RPM. I have two of the below housings, and was planning on taking the tube off the one that's in poor condition and adding it to the better housing. Or see if I can find a non-rare dual housing online or at junk yard. I don't mind if it's not Oldsmobile.

I have to be careful with the base though, my Edelbrock drop base air cleaner wouldn't clear the fuel rails on the FAST EZ-EFI, luckily the factory housing clears.

I've looked at Ram Air Box and Speed by Spectre but I'm afraid to order one of their kits and have it not clear the throttle body. They have nice large tubes attached to the housing, the factory units have a smaller oval opening.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo.JPG (127.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg
photo(2).jpg (44.3 KB, 82 views)
Old May 20th, 2013, 08:22 PM

I emailed Speed by Spectre to see if they've tested their 14" low profile housings with the FAST throttle bodies. Something like this is what I'm looking for, but I'd paint it semi-gloss black and maybe toss a Rocket 350 decal on it.