455 on road course... Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2012, 08:13 PM

455 on road course... Anyone?

I'm going to start using my car next summer for some autocross events, but I am wondering if a 455 could survive a road course? Its a new rebuild with a mild cam, running FaST EFI and a 4l80e. I'm wondering if the long straights at high RPM's would be too dangerous? I'm looking to do a Canton racing pan and some windage tray to keep oil around the pump, but will I have issues with drain back?
Old July 15th, 2012, 10:04 PM

I did te road course once wih my Delta when I had the 350 in it and that 350 didn't lik it one bit.

The engine did fine zipping around the course, but as soon as I got off the course and stopped, with the engine still running, it started to overheat.

I had a Be Cool Raditior and a 1500CFM electric fan, which did not come on on the track but as soon I turned onto the return road, it did.

I'm not saying not to do it, but just be sure you have really good cooling and flip the heat on full blast as soon as you turn off the track.

Have a decent oiling system, and a deep pan with at least 6 quarts with a high volume pump and you should be fine.

I have a Moroso 7 quart pan with a Meiling HV oil pump on my 330 stock engine. the HV oil pump flows 20% more so it will suck a 4 quart pan dry real quick at high RPM. They suggest a 5 quart, I went with 7
Old July 15th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Banned

Road course is going to be harder on the engine than circle track racing because you are turn right too.

You could always drill and tap drain lines from the heads to the pan, you might consider enlarging the oil drain back holes in the front and back in the lifter valley or even adding a couple if not going to go with drain back lines on the heads.

You might also consider a AccuSump system, two quart or better yet a four quart system.
Old July 16th, 2012, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Redog
I did te road course once wih my Delta when I had the 350 in it and that 350 didn't lik it one bit.

The engine did fine zipping around the course, but as soon as I got off the course and stopped, with the engine still running, it started to overheat.

I had a Be Cool Raditior and a 1500CFM electric fan, which did not come on on the track but as soon I turned onto the return road, it did.

I'm not saying not to do it, but just be sure you have really good cooling and flip the heat on full blast as soon as you turn off the track.

Have a decent oiling system, and a deep pan with at least 6 quarts with a high volume pump and you should be fine.

I have a Moroso 7 quart pan with a Meiling HV oil pump on my 330 stock engine. the HV oil pump flows 20% more so it will suck a 4 quart pan dry real quick at high RPM. They suggest a 5 quart, I went with 7
The Canton racing pan should be ok because its has the trap door baffles. I already have a Melling HV oil pump.

Originally Posted by SBORule
Road course is going to be harder on the engine than circle track racing because you are turn right too.

You could always drill and tap drain lines from the heads to the pan, you might consider enlarging the oil drain back holes in the front and back in the lifter valley or even adding a couple if not going to go with drain back lines on the heads.

You might also consider a AccuSump system, two quart or better yet a four quart system.
I was thinking about AccuSump. I hate to take this thing out and spin a bearing. It may be cheaper to sell the motor and go LS...lol

Last edited by csouth; August 27th, 2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old July 16th, 2012, 02:21 PM

I just priced out Accusump, I think that will be the way to go. Starting over from scratch when I'm 90% there on the drivetrain doesn't make sense right now.
Old July 31st, 2012, 06:27 PM

Check out some threads on protouring.com were there is some of AC(auto cross ) Olds and talk. Then there was an acticle not too long ago either on Popular Hot Rodding or Car Craft on a 65 pro-touring car with a 455 and they had to some modifying ( idnt seem like rocket science if I recall) because in hard truns they noticed they were loosing oil pressure......
Old August 1st, 2012, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by therobski
Check out some threads on protouring.com were there is some of AC(auto cross ) Olds and talk. Then there was an acticle not too long ago either on Popular Hot Rodding or Car Craft on a 65 pro-touring car with a 455 and they had to some modifying ( idnt seem like rocket science if I recall) because in hard truns they noticed they were loosing oil pressure......
I'm a member there too, I just brought my question here since this is where the Old(s) people hang out... Seriously not very many people understand Olds motors so I thought it best to bring it to this forum.
I just ordered the Canton Racing Oil pan on Friday. I recieved the pickup, but I think the BBO pans are made to order so I'm still waiting on that.
I've seen the 442 you're referring to in PHR and in person ad GG Columbus. He said he's not tracking his car for fear of what could happen and he is considering an LS swap.
Old August 1st, 2012, 08:46 AM

Someone on here recently showed Jim Garners old 442, set-up for road racing.
Didn't get a chance to look at the pan, but if you could find it - -
Old August 1st, 2012, 01:28 PM

Here is the Canton pan with the 3 trap door baffles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
canton4pd4.jpg (25.4 KB, 53 views)
Old August 2nd, 2012, 01:53 AM

I have a late model Corvette I road course track(not in parking lots) couple times a year. I'm really thinking the most important things would be suspension, tires, and brakes. There's a guy that sometimes brings a 71' Buick GS 455, and seems to do ok. Since you're in the Detroit area, check out the "3ballsracing.com" site that rents tracks, and maybe check with organizer Kenny, to see if this is for you.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by DeltaPace77
I have a late model Corvette I road course track(not in parking lots) couple times a year. I'm really thinking the most important things would be suspension, tires, and brakes. There's a guy that sometimes brings a 71' Buick GS 455, and seems to do ok. Since you're in the Detroit area, check out the "3ballsracing.com" site that rents tracks, and maybe check with organizer Kenny, to see if this is for you.
Thanks for the link. The suspension, brakes, wheels and tires are far from stock. It has adjustable shocks, progressive rate lowering springs, c6 brakes, aftermarket spindles, ctrl arms etc...
Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:37 AM

Sure sounds like you're on the right track with suspension, and you probably don't want to hear, there's now an aftermarket performance frame availible for your car. Next is tires though, and really think you'd be better off getting a second set up with Hoosier R6's, rather than chunking out your street set. Since you're running C6 brakes, good idea checking the Corvette Forum's for sale section for slightly used brake pads. My mentioned car's a C6 ZO6, and the factory Ferodo 2500 padlet set's are $600 bucks. Got a few slightly used sets this way for about $125 bucks. You'll be burning through the fronts quickly on the track, so doesn't hurt keeping an eye on the budget.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 11:46 AM

I peek in on the corvette forum every now and again looking for brake parts, my ultimate goal would be to have C6 Z06 calipers fr\rr. Aftermarket frames are definitely out of the question, but I'm looking at a chassis stiffening kit from a Canadian company HPI customs.
My wheels are 18x9 and 19x10. The car will see some autocross too, so I'm looking at BFG G-Force Sport Comp-2 or BFG KDW. Trying to find the compromise between a good tire thats not over the top in price.

Last edited by csouth; September 7th, 2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 03:04 PM

You'll sometimes see C6 ZO6 brakes come up for sale on the Corvette Forum, but not often. You really gotta watch out for proper wheel clearance though. I swap to a second track set up on factory wheels(18x9.5" front), and can barely slip a rag in between the calipers. I'd still give consideration to second track wheel/tire set up, as I lulled on this for awhile, and decided it was the best way. Even more costly in my case, as needed to include air pressure monitoring sensors, and programming tool. The car's computer will go nuts, if you dont do this.
Old August 6th, 2012, 12:22 PM

My Canton Racing pan came today, very nice piece...

Originally Posted by DeltaPace77
You'll sometimes see C6 ZO6 brakes come up for sale on the Corvette Forum, but not often. You really gotta watch out for proper wheel clearance though. I swap to a second track set up on factory wheels(18x9.5" front), and can barely slip a rag in between the calipers. I'd still give consideration to second track wheel/tire set up, as I lulled on this for awhile, and decided it was the best way. Even more costly in my case, as needed to include air pressure monitoring sensors, and programming tool. The car's computer will go nuts, if you dont do this.
My wheels were sized for Z06 when I purchased them, so the clearance won't be a problem. I knew that would be a potential upgrade, but right now I have the regular C5/6 calipers front and rear.

Last edited by csouth; September 7th, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old August 8th, 2012, 10:42 PM

Well, guess it's time to get er' out to Grattan, at one of the 3 ***** events. I don't run my Olds at these events, but probably decently set up for it. When I first got my car, it was quite softly sprung, but that changed pretty quick. Now has custom performance springs, Herb Adams sway bars(1-3/8" front, 1.50" rear) and Bilstein shocks. Also 15x8.5" rims, wearing 255-60-15 rubber. While cornering has improved dramatically, the chassis is really showing it's flex. I'm certainly not going to be confusing it with my C6 Corvette anytime soon. Also, it has a quick ratio steering box, from a late 70's Pontiac Trans Am.
Old August 26th, 2012, 09:13 PM

I'm gonna try my luck at one on sept 14th I know some guys that do it and right before they add 1-1/2 qt of oil for the race and drain it right after, sounds redneck to me but probably helps
Old August 26th, 2012, 10:04 PM

I think you've done well updating the suspension, brakes, and trans.
Your engine however......they're called pig blocks for a reason.

Turning fast while braking with a big block well.....
Now add in the limitations of the Olds big blocks.....

It's going to be complicated, but not impossible. Good luck.
Old August 26th, 2012, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
I think you've done well updating the suspension, brakes, and trans.
Your engine however......they're called pig blocks for a reason.

Turning fast while braking with a big block well.....
Now add in the limitations of the Olds big blocks.....

It's going to be complicated, but not impossible. Good luck.
The 455 isnt much heavier than the 350 olds, especially with alum heads, alum intake etc. After the the updates etc I've done mine handles crazy good, do I expect to win a road race course or event... nope, but I do expect to hurt some feelings when it comes to other cars built in the 60's, the other advantage is the torque of the 455, if you have traction you can jam the throttle out of the curves and you dont have to be sitting at 3 or 4k to come on strong is the straights, that work horse torque monster 455 will pull hard even at low rpm
Old August 26th, 2012, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by real57vetteguy
I'm gonna try my luck at one on sept 14th I know some guys that do it and right before they add 1-1/2 qt of oil for the race and drain it right after, sounds redneck to me but probably helps
I'd be careful with the oil overfill, as if it get's badly aerated by the crank, could make worse problems. Know a guy that had his family van over filled on a vacation, and trashed the crank journals and main bearings.
Old August 27th, 2012, 04:53 AM

Thanks for your response. I sent you a PM on Pro-Touring.com about your remote PS resevoir setutp and bracket.
I currently have the Canton Racing pan, Milodon HV pump and windage tray for my setup. I plan on adding a Canton Accusump before I hit the road course. Please let me know how you fair when you take yours out, I'm anxious to hear the results.
Old August 27th, 2012, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by csouth
Thanks for your response. I sent you a PM on Pro-Touring.com about your remote PS resevoir setutp and bracket.
I currently have the Canton Racing pan, Milodon HV pump and windage tray for my setup. I plan on adding a Canton Accusump before I hit the road course. Please let me know how you fair when you take yours out, I'm anxious to hear the results.
I dont have a remote PS resevoir set up? I am running the stock ps pump right now, I will have to see how it does. I think I remember seeing that and just thought you had the wrong guy. Nice project by the way!
Old August 27th, 2012, 07:51 PM

I dont have a remote PS resevoir set up? I am running the stock ps pump right now, I will have to see how it does. I think I remember seeing that and just thought you had the wrong guy. Nice project by the way!
You're right, I did send that to you by mistake...lol I really like what you did to your car, especiall the trunk audio setup.
Old September 7th, 2012, 06:33 PM

Here is my few cents. The Canton Pan is a must. Did you say you have a high volume oil pump? I would worry it might drain the pan. The Accusump is a good idea. An external Oil Cooler is a Must IMO for each the trans( if Auto) and engine. When I tracked my Olds at NJMP I got a soft Seize and slight rod knock so top and bottom. Now we ran the Lightning course which has a LONG sweeping right hander that probably kept the oil away from the pickup(stock pan). No real big deal as it was a $400 Ebay engine that I had well gotten my use out of. As for tires the BFG G-Force Sports are a great tire for the price. It is what I run. I didn't have any other problems besides the oiling. But I knew what I was running with was marginal at best going in. The next engine won't be.
Old September 7th, 2012, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by The Stickman
Here is my few cents. The Canton Pan is a must. Did you say you have a high volume oil pump? I would worry it might drain the pan. The Accusump is a good idea. An external Oil Cooler is a Must IMO for each the trans( if Auto) and engine. When I tracked my Olds at NJMP I got a soft Seize and slight rod knock so top and bottom. Now we ran the Lightning course which has a LONG sweeping right hander that probably kept the oil away from the pickup(stock pan). No real big deal as it was a $400 Ebay engine that I had well gotten my use out of. As for tires the BFG G-Force Sports are a great tire for the price. It is what I run. I didn't have any other problems besides the oiling. But I knew what I was running with was marginal at best going in. The next engine won't be.
I already have a separate oil and tranny cooler, so I hope I'm covered. I'm gonna have some fun with this car and if the motor dies, I'll start over...