Center console for '72 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old December 25th, 2021, 12:54 PM

Center console for '72 Cutlass

Hi guys, I'm getting parts together for a column shift to floor shift swap and would like to start looking for a center console. Ideally I'd like to buy a complete auto console with shifter but that may be a tall order. Color isn't important, I'd prefer black but will paint it if need be. Condition has to be good, no cracks or broken pieces unless it's an easy fix. Will need to be shipped to Las Vegas unless you're in SoCal, southern Utah or Arizona, might pick up in person if I can swing it. Thanks, James
Old December 25th, 2021, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate apocalypse
Hi guys, I'm getting parts together for a column shift to floor shift swap and would like to start looking for a center console. Ideally I'd like to buy a complete auto console with shifter but that may be a tall order. Color isn't important, I'd prefer black but will paint it if need be. Condition has to be good, no cracks or broken pieces unless it's an easy fix. Will need to be shipped to Las Vegas unless you're in SoCal, southern Utah or Arizona, might pick up in person if I can swing it. Thanks, James
if you are looking for one complete with shifter and completely restored to show quality:

1970 1971 1972 Cutlass & 442 W30 Re-Chromed Automatic Shifter & Restored Console | eBay

On the used ones, common problem will be the broken hinge mounts for the console door. There is a repair kit available and on this site a couple of fixes are also posted.

Last edited by PatL; December 25th, 2021 at 04:55 PM. Reason: fix link
Old December 25th, 2021, 05:09 PM

I've had that sellers consoles in my eBay watchlist for the past few years. Finally ready to get one but prices for those consoles have gone up about $800 over the last year plus, a bit rich for my blood. Good to know about the console hinge mounts, I'm fine with doing something like that myself. Thanks for the info!
Old December 25th, 2021, 05:22 PM

I've had that sellers consoles in my eBay watchlist for the past few years. Finally ready to get one but prices for those consoles have gone up about $800 over the last year plus, a bit rich for my blood. Good to know about the console hinge mounts, I'm fine with doing something like that myself. Thanks for the info!
James. I actually bought one of their's years ago, at about half of what they are asking for them now. At the old price, by the time I bought all the needed pieces (I had one that need a few items to make it usable) it was not too bad of a stretch. They are pretty good quality, but at the current price, I would do it myself also.
Old December 25th, 2021, 06:59 PM
72 Olds CS

Yeah the price of 70-72 consoles can get pretty high, its a wonder no one repros them.

ive got a nice one in my car, but if i was looking and originality didnt matter i would adapt another car console or make my own. Ive seen a few homebrew/ pro made versions that are nice…

Gl w search
Old December 26th, 2021, 06:54 AM
MOTORHEAD

Hey
Happy Newd Year
Sold all my automat shifters BUT I do have some for 4 speed and an extra console NEAR Minneapolis
Shipping will be CRAZY expensive
Old December 26th, 2021, 09:36 AM

I am still mulling over using a 5th gen Camaro console and doing some custom touches to make it look a little more like it belongs in the car instead of sticking out like a sore thumb. It would be a project though as the trans tunnel for the 5th gen is pretty tall and the console would sit to low in the Cutlass if just bolted in. Might be a fun project and end up with cup holders, a cell phone cubby and who knows what else if you get creative.
Old December 26th, 2021, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by 11971four4two
Hey
Happy Newd Year
Sold all my automat shifters BUT I do have some for 4 speed and an extra console NEAR Minneapolis
Shipping will be CRAZY expensive
Happy New Year!
I have a FedEx acct that will help with shipping, still wont be cheap but not as bad as it would be otherwise.
Old December 26th, 2021, 09:52 AM
MOTORHEAD

Happy New Year!
I have a FedEx acct that will help with shipping, still wont be cheap but not as bad as it would be otherwise.
The last one i shipped went to brian trick in pennsilvannia

Box was purchased there for golf club

worked out "NICE"
Old December 26th, 2021, 09:53 AM
72 Olds CS

On shows like texas metal they have an interior guy who makes interiors and parts, hes made many custom consoles and speaker enclosures etc. if your handy none of his projects look difficult to make a nice peice.

im sure you tube has some ideas too.
Old December 26th, 2021, 10:23 AM
MOTORHEAD

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
On shows like texas metal they have an interior guy who makes interiors and parts, hes made many custom consoles and speaker enclosures etc. if your handy none of his projects look difficult to make a nice peice.

im sure you tube has some ideas too.
I do no like fuzzy dice

the last 1972 buck o seats wentto crazed
They are going in the back
boy
street rod guy bought all my other consoles ans shiftys
AUTOMAT
Old December 26th, 2021, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by 11971four4two
The last one i shipped went to brian trick in pennsilvannia

Box was purchased there for golf club

worked out "NICE"
Hmm, golf club box, that's a great idea!
Old December 26th, 2021, 02:03 PM

PM sent on auto console and complete shifter assembly
Old December 27th, 2021, 09:51 AM
72 Olds CS

Heres a 68 w a homebuilt / custom console, this is from a recent thread start3d by petrix. I think it looks good and functional.

Old December 27th, 2021, 09:54 AM

Hmm, nicely done.
Do you have a link to that thread? I've been searching but cant find it.

Last edited by chocolate apocalypse; December 27th, 2021 at 10:03 AM.
Old December 27th, 2021, 04:00 PM
72 Olds CS

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...lbrock-160690/
Old December 28th, 2021, 12:16 PM

Thanks 442crzy, should have most of what I'll need for my console swap on the way shortly!
Old December 28th, 2021, 01:57 PM

console

I have a console that needs a few little repairs if your'e interested.Console is complete minus wood insert. I have a shifter as well.

Last edited by 32redman; December 28th, 2021 at 01:57 PM. Reason: spell check
Old February 5th, 2022, 03:44 AM

If you still need a Cutlass Console, I have 3 of them.

Have been restoring 1970-1972 Cutlass Convertibles for decades, not a pro, something to keep me occupied and away from the local bars. Was organizing the attic space over my garage a month or so ago and found quite a few parts stored that had escaped my memory. Also purchased another parts-car a couple of years ago with a saddle color console among many additional useful parts. Have a bad habit of storing excess parts from various parts-cars I have used in the past and do not recall ever selling anything. With that said, I am most definitely a "Wrag Top" Cutlass Man. If any of the consoles will be helpful to you toward your project, we can make arrangements for a live-feed video such that you may have a more detailed look toward assuring your satisfaction as a first step, from that point we can work toward a fair price should you wish to purchase one of them. As I reside on the coast of North Carolina, this presents an additional matter; specifically we do not know each other and as a matter of self honor I must know that if this moves forward and for what ever reason you are not satisfied, I am the sort of honor-bound man to provide a full refund upon its return. I simply do not know how to set about making such an arrangement, but it is important to me that both parties are protected. If there are additional parts you need and wish for me to determine availability on my end I am happy to do so. I took the Liberty of checking the price for the only Cutlass Console which I could locate. I could locate only one, which was a 4-Speed, I have consoles for automatic transmissions only. The price for the console I did locate was slightly under $2,000.00, am absurd price point in my opinion. While I will not give the console away, I find such an asking price dishonorable at best. Also, please take the following in the spirit of its intended communication; I can list the console(s) online and likely sell them for a significant amount of money. I need assurance that you do not intend to purchase it from me just to flip it for a profit; the sole reason I am even considering selling one of my consoles is to help another Cutlass Man, nothing more, nothing less. While we will come to a mutually agreeable purchase price assuming you are interested, I would find it immoral to ask a $2,000 price, we must both be somehow better off or I cannot follow through. Best to communicate with me via email; waverlymerritt@hotmail.com, my telephone number is (252) 341-9283. Please be mindful that I refuse to be a slave to email or my telephone and there are days that I do not check either. I also bears mentioning that due to the nature of my work, I am in SE Asia 6 to 8 months each year, but due to COVID travel restrictions, I do not see myself returning prior to Summer or Fall of 2022. In closing, given the geographical regions where I normally spend most of my time, their local time is generally 11 to 13 hours ahead of Eastern North Carolina so I have a phone screener to circumvent many of the off-hours telephone calls from those regions, I am sure you understand. Please endure the "telephone tree hell" should you decide to give a ring. Thank you, my apology for lacking brevity. I hope you fine all you seek.