70 GM lap belt release button

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2020, 10:31 AM

Exclamation 70 GM lap belt release button

Hi all !
Hope you are having a good Winter. I'm restoring a set of Black delux seatbelts for my friend's original Cutlass 1970 Indy Pace car. I'm in need of a pair of the blue backed GM logo release buttons. I tried to contact Don Krebs but no luck. He did a nice set of blue delux belts for me two years ago, but now i'm hearing bad things about him. So reaching out to the community. I do not want to use repops since the car is basically original and trying to keep it that way. I've finished all but one belt because the button has delaminated and looks like crap. Any leads would be much appreciated ! I've attach pictures of the belts I've finished and the release button I'm looking for. Would prefer just the button but would consider a complete buckle assembly if the price is fair.

Old February 5th, 2020, 12:04 PM

I will look and see what I have in the garage this evening. I bought a couple sets of belts many years ago but don't remember right off if they have blue or black buttons.
Would you be willing to trade your black ones if I have blue ones?
Old February 5th, 2020, 12:43 PM

FWIW - I believe the repro buttons are the wrong size for your buckle style....if you're referring to the repro buttons made by The Parts Place.
Old February 5th, 2020, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by ragtopblue
I'm restoring a set of Black delux seatbelts
I just re-read your post and noticed this. I thought the Deluxe belts have the silver/nickle buckles whereas the regular belts have the black buckles. My '70 Supreme had silver buckles and the build sheet showed AK1 DLX BELT GRP.
Old February 5th, 2020, 03:15 PM

Fun 71,
I'm just looking for the release buttons not the whole buckle assembly. If you are refering to the black backed logo release button I do have a nice one but it's for the small style buckle. I'd be willing to pay you for the blue release buttons if you have some nice ones as long as the price is fair.

these are the ones I need
Old February 5th, 2020, 04:10 PM

70 blue release buttons

Hav those
need email for pix
Thanks

got lucky was able to upload these after 5 tries & 20 minutes record time for C/O site
Old February 5th, 2020, 04:37 PM

Rocketscientist !
How are you my Oldsmobrother ? Those are the ones ! But are you selling them with the belts? Or willing to just sell the buttons.
My email address is homeserve4u@comcast.net.
Old February 5th, 2020, 04:39 PM

This is the car I'm restoring the belts for
Old February 5th, 2020, 04:50 PM

70 latch buttons

Like Bob Barker always said, if the price is right and I always add or higher
believe just the buttons will be most cost-effective
are the blue one like that 70 only?
must be seat belt season been having run on them lately
looks as though you have operated and would know how to get the latch apart
omishjon@gmail.com
Expidites matters greatly
Old February 5th, 2020, 05:34 PM

Yeah I'm not a young buck on those ! LOL I've even learned how not to slice my hand up removing the cover ! Putty knife and a painters 5 in 1 tool do the trick. Yes they are the Anodized Blue back with GM Logo for large buckle style. I completely redid these belts for him. They weren't real bad but showed thier age. I stripped and repainted the covers. De scaled and re Phosphated the spring mechanisms. wet sanded and buffed the chrome then finished up giving the webbing a good soaking in Oxyclean. The webbing turned two bins of water to the color of strong tea ! LOL Here are the buttons from the set and also the date tage on the webbing for you.

Old February 5th, 2020, 05:52 PM

Blue release buttons

Are blue buttons one od numerous 70 only atributes...other deluxe buckles have black background...those green ones are 70s
is 15 C typical code for march 15....as starter /alternator codes ??
Technich for not slicing fingers preffered if ya got it ..
Old February 5th, 2020, 06:03 PM

Yeah
My 72 cutlass has the black background GM logo release buttons. But my buckle covers are the stianless steel covers. Not correct, It origianally had the same as above but the Black backed GM logo buttob. But I liked the stainless better, gave it some class. Plus I added dark blue webbing to compliment my dark blue carpet. OCA Judges would have a field day on mine. But I show it in modified and pull 980's + so I'm happy with that.

Old February 5th, 2020, 06:11 PM

Differences

Standard / deluxe
believe standard is plastic topped & deluxe signified metal
With two diffrent types of paint finnishes & two styles of plated / stainless tops ..that I know of not including earlier styles w/ pull release in metal or plastic...more to the point you need to the blue buttons the two buttons in the Greenbelts pictured are 70s & should suffice
Correct ?
Old February 5th, 2020, 06:23 PM

72 deluxe belts

Currently attemptin to roundup nice rear 72 deluxe retractors .( small) latches....ones not rusty under their covers...if such things exist & are available , stand & be recognized...
Old February 5th, 2020, 06:58 PM

Yes,the two pictured above by themselves and the picture of the finished black belts. LMK when you have them and what you would like for them and I will send you paypal payment and my address. Thank you sir, your really helping me out here !
Old February 5th, 2020, 06:59 PM

I found the belts in my stash and they are 1971 small buckle with black buttons for the front seats, so not what you are looking for. Sorry.

rocketscientis, I had searched for rear retractor belts many years ago and came up empty. I had the model number from the tag sewn onto the belts but apparently have lost that info in the sands of time. Paul Toller was the guy for seat belts back then (maybe still is?) and he didn't have them in his inventory. I stopped looking after a while so now have regular non-retractable Deluxe rear belts. FYI, the blue buttons were used in years other than 1970, but I don't know all of the applications.
Old February 6th, 2020, 11:10 AM

Ken, I actually might have th terminology wrong. I have the delux in mine the stainless/chrome. But thought the painted metal was also considered delux. And the plastic cover style in Chev and Pontiacs not sure if Olds and Buick had them, were considered standard.