61-63 4 speed shift lever

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2017, 04:15 PM

61-63 4 speed shift lever

I have had a change of plans from my last post. Now I am looking for a 61-63 4 speed shift lever from a Cutlass or Jetfire. Would even take one from a Buick. Don't need the shifter, just the chrome lever that sticks up through the floor. Any condition.
Old January 19th, 2017, 04:57 PM

The shift lever doesn't detach from the shifter box like a Hurst, It is integral.
Old January 19th, 2017, 06:03 PM

The shifter has to come apart. I don't need the very bottom part. I am going to cut and weld on it. I am a purist and can't believe I am looking at doing this but.... I think I am going to swap the factory shifter with a Hurst shifter. I want an original shift lever to cut and weld to the bottom of a Hurst lever. This way it will look original from the interior. I don't want to cut and weld my original lever because I would like to be able to swap it back someday if I ever do a concourse restoration.
Old January 19th, 2017, 06:53 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
The shifter has to come apart. I don't need the very bottom part. I am going to cut and weld on it. I am a purist and can't believe I am looking at doing this but.... I think I am going to swap the factory shifter with a Hurst shifter. I want an original shift lever to cut and weld to the bottom of a Hurst lever. This way it will look original from the interior. I don't want to cut and weld my original lever because I would like to be able to swap it back someday if I ever do a concourse restoration.
Would this one do ?
http://www.lategreatchevy.com/full-s...urst-1963.html

Bolts right up to a Hurst competion plus shifter . Looks like a "spaghetti Shifter " handle ,
Old January 19th, 2017, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Would this one do ?
http://www.lategreatchevy.com/full-s...urst-1963.html

Bolts right up to a Hurst competion plus shifter . Looks like a "spaghetti Shifter " handle ,
That one is a little off but may work. I think this one is very close. I may consider this till I can modify an original. http://www.ebay.com/itm/301451011239
Old January 19th, 2017, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Yes it comes apart, But why go through all that trouble. I would save the original and buy the Hurst lever and a competition box and bolt it together It looks close and only a purist like me would know it's not original(I own a 63 4 speed convertible) Trust me the factory shifter is kind of sloppy, A new Hurst with the correct spring clips on the linkage and it will shift like a million dollars