1961 88 Dash pad

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2018, 06:06 PM

1961 88 Dash pad

Looking for a 1961 Dynamic 88, Super 88,or Starfire dash pad that is in decent or restorable condition
Old February 11th, 2018, 07:23 PM

I just recovered mine myself. It was pretty easy. I used marine grade vinyl which I dyed myself and marine grade 1/2" thick foam.

Last edited by 61Bat; February 11th, 2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old February 11th, 2018, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by 61Bat

I just recovered mine myself. It was pretty easy. I used marine grade vinyl which I dyed myself and marine grade 1/2" thick foam.
My car has been apart for 12 years and forget how the vinyl and padding get attached. I do still have the spine that goes on the front of the cash. I do t remember the vinyl being completed dried out and brittle..but not to sure if that was anything else attached to the spine in the front that has some studs coming out of the back of it

​​​​​​
Old February 12th, 2018, 02:07 PM

Remove all the perimeter trim, two pieces in the front, the windshield pillar trim and the two pieces on either side of the dash. Remove all the screws from under the front of the dash above the glove box, radio and inst cluster. Loosen the bottom bolts under the dash and lower the steering column. With the dash loose and hanging down (I supported mine on either side with a simple wooden block setup) you can remove all of the old dash covering. If you can use it as a pattern for your new cover and foam. Cut new material glue the foam to the cover using upholstery glue. I cut the foam to the same size and shape as the dash and left 2" in front to wrap around. I left about 1" extra material around the front and sides of th foam and about 4 or 5 on the side facing you. This extra material will tuck under the dash into a slot you can feel from the front. i used a plastic bondo spreader to tuck my material in. I trimmed it for the two center dash supports also. All my measurements are approximations off the top of my head so do your own measuring lol. Dont forget to trim for the defrosters, I marked mine off when i test fit it for the first time.

Installation is basically the reverse. I put the pad in place, glued it down with constructin grade adhesive and then installed the front two trim pieces making sure not to make any wrinkles. I made sure I had extra material and foam sticking out the ends you can always trim later but you can't add material. Then pull the pad towards you and start tucking into the slot under the dash. I started in the middle and worked my way out towards the sides. Once that was done i wieghted the dash down with books to let the glue dry.

Next I put the dash back up, this secures the front of the dash pad. Lastly put the sides back on this is the "hardest" part just making sure you have no wrinkles. I hope this helps.
Old February 12th, 2018, 03:08 PM

61Bat,
Thanks for taking the time. That was everything I needed ,big help.
I've had this car apart for so long ,I wasn't sure if I had misplaced the dash pad.
The padding and vinyl get glued to the steel part of the dash and everything outside of the dash is held fast with the garnish mldgs, and side post trim. and the front spine ( which is in my hand in the pic ) was held in when the dash is put back together. I took the dash out to repaint and re-chromeplate the trim.
By the way your ride looks perfect!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Dash.jpg (877.1 KB, 23 views)
Dash 2.jpg (895.4 KB, 21 views)
61 olds art-proof.jpg (201.9 KB, 21 views)
Dash3.jpg (930.7 KB, 23 views)
Old February 12th, 2018, 05:00 PM

kx1233 thanks for the compliment. We love our Olds, she's far from good but good from far lol. Someday I hope to straighten out the sheetmetal a little better and resquirt it but for now its a fun driver and a great start for a project. I totally lucked out getting the Starfire interior so I'm continuing that route.

Following your build, I really dig 61 Oldsmobiles! Happy to help out another Olds enthusiast.
Old September 1st, 2022, 03:02 PM

62 olds dashboard removal

Been looking everywhere for help to redo dash pad. This car has cruise control and windshield control is in the leftside panel. I'm having trouble getting it off. And where are the I need to take out to drop the dash. Can you help?
Old September 19th, 2022, 07:03 AM
Art S

Originally Posted by NEDLOB
Been looking everywhere for help to redo dash pad. This car has cruise control and windshield control is in the leftside panel. I'm having trouble getting it off. And where are the I need to take out to drop the dash. Can you help?
Were you able to do the job?
Old September 19th, 2022, 09:42 AM

The project stalled for a little , picking back up in the fall, restored all of the dash and chrome etc. but the pad will be done after dash gets bolted up
Old September 19th, 2022, 11:03 AM
Art S

The reason I asked is after I did mine and had it in the sun the Spray Adhesive started to let go and I had bubbles under it. I did a thorough job of prepping the surface but it let go anyway. I tried to roll it back and re-glue it but made a mess of the whole thing. I'm going to have to do it over. Was wondering what glue should I have used.
Old September 19th, 2022, 01:39 PM

Haven't figured out how to lower dashboard. This car has cruise control

Originally Posted by Supernice88
The reason I asked is after I did mine and had it in the sun the Spray Adhesive started to let go and I had bubbles under it. I did a thorough job of prepping the surface but it let go anyway. I tried to roll it back and re-glue it but made a mess of the whole thing. I'm going to have to do it over. Was wondering what glue should I have used.
Old September 19th, 2022, 02:22 PM
Art S

Do you have a pic of it? I don't know where it's located on the dash.
Old September 19th, 2022, 03:10 PM

1962starfir

Can't figure out how to drop dashboard. I loosened one bolt no I took one bolt from the bottom once I did noticed I couldn't get the nut back on it. Realized that bolt shouldn't be removed.

My 62 oldsmobile starfire

Cruises control and wiper switch

Last edited by NEDLOB; September 19th, 2022 at 03:52 PM.
Old September 19th, 2022, 03:26 PM
Art S

Are you planning to take it out completely or just re-doing pad?
The surface under the pad doesn't come out.

Old September 19th, 2022, 03:59 PM

62 starfire.

Just trying to di the dashpad.. I need dash down even out to change some of those small vacuum hose behind dash.
Old September 19th, 2022, 04:09 PM

62 starfire.

Just trying to di the dashpad.. I need dash down even out to change some of those small vacuum hose behind dash.
Old September 19th, 2022, 10:48 PM

62 starfire dash

thanks for pic
Old September 20th, 2022, 05:53 PM
Art S

You're welcome. Hope it helped.