Why is my duplicolor grainy?

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2015, 06:34 PM
Photoshop God

Why is my duplicolor grainy?

I'm painting the headlight buckets duplicolor semigloss black. I've de-rusted, sanded, used duplicolor self etch primer, sanded degreased then painted. The back sides I did a couple days ago came out ok, but the front sides I painted today have a grainy feel to them? Painted them outside, calm day, about 70-75 degrees and 35-40% humidity. I put on a couple pretty light coats and a heavier coat about ten minutes apart as recommended on the can. Primer coat was smooth. What is the most likely cause and can can I just sand them down a bit to smooth it out and repaint them? I've had good luck using this method so far.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 09:49 AM

Was the first coat from the same can? It acts like what happens when a paint product has been frozen or the surface is contaminated.

For a test spray a clean glass jar and see if it is the paint or something in the paint or a reaction to something that was under the paint. If the jar remains smooth look for contamination from something that was done before the final coat. Silicone comes to mind among other things and it could be coming from a clean looking rag or a tack cloth that was exposed to silicone also your sand paper could be contaminated if used on a previous job... Just a few thoughts ...Tedd`
Old September 23rd, 2015, 10:00 AM
Photoshop God

I sprayed the back side with one can of paint. When I did the front side I think I did one or two light coats with that can and then switched to a new can, same paint tho.

Could it do that if I spray to light of a coat on and don't get enough paint on? It says to put on a couple of light coats then a heavier wet coat. I thought I was doing it the same way I did the back side and other parts I have painted, but my technique may be different. I've painted stuff outside when there was a low breeze and gotten good results but it was calm when I painted these.

After I sanded the primer I wiped it down with duplicolor wax and grease remover the same way that I have been. I used a new piece of sandpaper as well. I'll try the jar idea you mentioned.

Worst case I should be able to sand this down smooth and paint over it without taking the old paint off shouldn't I?

Thanks for the help.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 10:01 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Let it dry good like a week so the paints cured. Sand lightly with 4-600 till smooth then apply several light coats. If that doesn't work try fogging on the first two coats, sort of like a guide paint layer on a car ready for the booth, so real light. Then put the next succession on normally. If that doesn't work then try many fog coats letting each fog tack up to get to the top finish. I've had to do this with dash boards more so for fish-eying, but it pertains to this as well. You could have a incompatibility between the primer and paint. If you have a good auto body supply house close by, take the problem to them for resolution. My supply shop is great for helping me out of these binds...bunch of old school lacquer guys who have sniffed plenty of thinner.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 12:36 PM
72 Olds CS

i had that happen when spraying outside and a breeze came up. as stated above, sand w 4-600 and respray ...worked for me.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 02:26 PM

Sounds like you contacted some silicone along the way. After sanding down smooth,clean with clean soft cloth and a mixture of 95 percent warm water and 5 percent Dawn dishwashing detergent, dry with another clean dry cloth,and apply first coat very lightly.If it looks smooth,let dry and proceed. Larry
Old September 24th, 2015, 10:20 AM
Photoshop God

Thanks for all of the comments. I'm going to wait a week like the can says and sand it down a bit and try again.
Old October 6th, 2015, 06:52 PM
Photoshop God

Update: After a week I sanded them down smooth and re-painted them spraying them a little heavier than the first time. They came out better, like I was expecting the first time.