Contaminated Paint Booth

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2010, 11:24 AM

Contaminated Paint Booth

I recently was painting the hood of a '82 gmc Jimmy that I own in a paint booth that I have in my garage. I noticed what I initially thought was trash in the paint. This later proved to be 'fisheye' which is a reaction to some contaminant in the paint. The body shop supply guy came by to advise me on this situation and brought a Sikkens rep who was in town with him. They advised that it was fisheye and that I would have to use a process of elimination to get to the source of the contaminant. It didn't take long for me to remind myself of what the problem was. Being the idiot that I can often be I remembered that I had sprayed some Armorall on the vinyl floor of the GMC truck while it was in this booth. Not much but some. I knew better but being somewhat inexperienced I forgot that this stuff does not need to be even close to a paint booth environment. I feel that this is the source of the problem. So my question is this: how best to clean this problem up? Will soap and water on the floors and walls be enough? I can clean the hoses with lacqure thinner and I can throw away some stuff like the tire covers. Thanks for any advice.
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Any floor desgreaser should be fine with a good rinse.
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Old(s) Fart

Silicone is one of the most difficult contaminants to get rid of. Soap and water alone may not be sufficient. At a minimum I would use Pre-Cleaner (Prep-Sol, or whatever brand name you use). Lacquer thinner is my tool of choice if the surfaces can survive.