Question about starterswap and details in enginroom

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2015, 01:52 PM

Question about starterswap and details in enginroom

Question 1: would a sbo starter be to small to crank a bbo engine? Cause i have the starter from a 307 and it works fine, and its smaller than the bbo starter from a 400g engine.

Question 2: look at the example picture below, i dont have these in my engineroom, thats make things stiffer? I guess.. What these called, these bars.. Is it nessesary to have them? What they help for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1763.jpg (77.6 KB, 52 views)
Old May 12th, 2015, 01:58 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

307 has a low torque starter. 400, 455 should have the high torque at least up until 455 became low compression engine, then Im not sure on that.
Will it work...it will bolt up but it could struggle and not last very long.
The bars are core support bars. It cant hurt to have them especially if you have increased your power. Though they make it pain to work on the engine.
Old May 12th, 2015, 03:45 PM

Ok, i Will Just use the starter it follow the bb then..

Ok, maybe its hard to find these bars, i have a Smith workshop here near me and thinking about to make a pair on right measurments. The quality may not be the same but may help a bit for stiffness, maybe i will not feel diffrents,but anyway.

Need to see if i can find the bolt hole first with the wiper engine.

Last edited by Oldsragger; May 12th, 2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old May 13th, 2015, 05:01 AM

The core support bars are easy to make using conduit(used by electricians).It comes in the same diameter size as the original,and can be polished out to resemble chrome.Just cut to correct length ,collapse 1&1/2" of each end in a vice,and drill the holes,then polish them out or paint them. You can see my core support bars under Albums ( click on Rocketowner in my avitar and go to albums ) picture is in lower right corner. Good luck, Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; May 13th, 2015 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Add info
Old May 13th, 2015, 05:36 AM

First,that was a beauty car and engine room u have.

Oh, you mean this waterpipes in Steel? I know exactly where i can get some cheap, so i will buy it there, and they are finished Chrome too i tought this bars was in swaybar quality at first, but sounds like they are not. Thanks for the idea.
Old May 13th, 2015, 12:10 PM

No,not water pipes ,but the conduit that electricians use to house electrical wires.They are aluminum and can be polished to a "chrome like" finish. Larry
Old May 13th, 2015, 02:15 PM

Aha ok i understand now. I will ask the local electric dealer.
Old May 25th, 2015, 04:07 AM

Hi again. Is it normal that some starters need to have shimes between the starter mounting holes and block?

Cause i was told by the old owner that the owner before him used shims between the block and starter to get the correctly match when the starter kicked in on the flexplate.

I still have the shims, all i can see on the old flexplate some teeths are broken.. But i dont know.

Maybe i should Just try to install the starter with the 2 small shims

Last edited by Oldsragger; May 25th, 2015 at 04:10 AM.
Old May 25th, 2015, 07:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsragger
Hi again. Is it normal that some starters need to have shimes between the starter mounting holes and block?

Cause i was told by the old owner that the owner before him used shims between the block and starter to get the correctly match when the starter kicked in on the flexplate.

I still have the shims, all i can see on the old flexplate some teeths are broken.. But i dont know.

Maybe i should Just try to install the starter with the 2 small shims
I have never needed shims on any of the nearly two dozen Oldsmobiles I have owned in the last 40 years. Starter shims are a Chevy thing.

Now, having said that, these parts are subject to manufacturing tolerances. If the starter pinion gear is too close to the ring gear, it will make noise and possibly damage the starter. In Chevy service manuals there is a spec on the clearance between the pinion and ring gear teeth that requires a wire gauge to check. I've never seen a similar process discussed in any Olds CSM.
Old May 25th, 2015, 10:07 AM

I would be more concerned about replacing the flexplate if it has broken teeth like you mentioned.
Old May 25th, 2015, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I have never needed shims on any of the nearly two dozen Oldsmobiles I have owned in the last 40 years. Starter shims are a Chevy thing.

Now, having said that, these parts are subject to manufacturing tolerances. If the starter pinion gear is too close to the ring gear, it will make noise and possibly damage the starter. In Chevy service manuals there is a spec on the clearance between the pinion and ring gear teeth that requires a wire gauge to check. I've never seen a similar process discussed in any Olds CSM.

Ok i see, i dont know what starter it is, but its bigger than my 307 starter and heavyer, Well i installed it today with thw thin shims between cause i heard from old owner the owner before again used it,..

Anyway i got it connected and have crank/ start the engine on my new flexplate it it was not noisy at all. So i guess its fine then., crank the engine very easy too.

Last edited by Oldsragger; May 25th, 2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old May 25th, 2015, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by 1970-W30
I would be more concerned about replacing the flexplate if it has broken teeth like you mentioned.

Yeah it is replaced.