Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

Can anyone with a 62 Starfire provide me with some good pictures/info?

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2011, 11:59 PM

Can anyone with a 62 Starfire provide me with some good pictures/info?

Hey everyone. The Starfire is coming along nice. I am getting a lot of things that were not working..working once again. I was wondering if anyone could take a picture of the metal trim that goes around the headliner, front/back windows. Also, I would need a picture of how the painted metal trim goes on at the very front of the dash pad between the pad and the window. I don't have a headliner in right now, but I wanted to put the trim up to see if I had it all. I bought an interior screw set, but I have no idea what kind of screws or length the screws are supposed to be. Any pictures or info would be great.

Also, I am missing the screws that hold down the cowl cover (the area right below the windshield wipers that covers up the wire screen). The previous owner just used a couple screws on either end to hold it down, but they are not the correct ones.

Any help you guys could provide would be super helpful!!! Within a couple weeks I should be able to give her a full test run on the steet. I just need to find some door jamb switches, fix the washer switch...and that is about it. Eventually I will get the fuel pump rebuilt and fix the weeping carb. I wanted to check all the lines while I was at it. I will have to save up to get the front suspension rebuilt since most of the bushings are shot
Old August 31st, 2011, 06:03 PM

Viper,
I haven't been checking in for awhile. The trim at the base of the windshield is two pieces. One piece overlaps the other. It will only fit one way. The screws that hold it down are #6 X 1 1/4" long. I have a box of them if you did not get any in the kit. My car is a convertible so I cannot help with the headliner trim. The screws that hold down the cowl are 1/4" or 5/16" hex head screws about 1/2" long. I could not find the ones I removed and used #8pan heads. I doubt anyone would notice. Look for the jamb switches on ebay, they show up once and awhile. I have the original windshield wiper switch from my car. I know it will operate the wipers. I do not know if it will operate the washers.
Let me know if you need any fasteners or are interested in the switch.
Tom
Old August 31st, 2011, 07:20 PM

Thanks for that info Tom! When stuff is missing, it is hard to tell what should belong, especially when you just get a bag of screws lol...I haven't gotten around to messing with the wiper switch yet since I just got back from California. I was wondering if a 62 Impala switch would work for the door jambs since they look almost exactly the same.

I really appreciate your help!!!!!!! I hope to get some time in the next day or so since I only spent about 3 days with my car since it arrived. I haven't even had the time to change the title yet I will let you know about the switch.