Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

'64 Jetstar 88 suspension

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2013, 06:59 PM

'64 Jetstar 88 suspension

I am I correct in assuming that a front suspension rebuild kit for a '64 88 dynamic with fit my car?
I know that the spindles, brake backing plates and rear axle shafts are Jetstar specific and the brakes drum, hubs and shoes are Cutlass. When I ask for ball joints and a-arms bushing for my car I get a blank stare but the Rare Parts part numbers are the same for both
The reason I ask is there is a company that list a complete front end kit for the Dynamic but not for a Jetstar 88.

Thx James
Old November 30th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by enginenine
I am I correct in assuming that a front suspension rebuild kit for a '64 88 dynamic with fit my car?
I know that the spindles, brake backing plates and rear axle shafts are Jetstar specific and the brakes drum, hubs and shoes are Cutlass. When I ask for ball joints and a-arms bushing for my car I get a blank stare but the Rare Parts part numbers are the same for both
The reason I ask is there is a company that list a complete front end kit for the Dynamic but not for a Jetstar 88.

Thx James
Yes, you are correct. The control arms and steering linkage are the same on all 1964 full size cars.
Old November 30th, 2013, 05:08 PM

Thank you, Joe
Old November 30th, 2013, 05:11 PM

Would a regular B body frame fit under my car?
Old December 1st, 2013, 09:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

Would a regular B body frame fit under my car?
Define "regular B-body".

The 1963-63 Olds B-body frames are the same (allowing for the boxed convertible differences), EXCEPT that the J88 has special welded-in motor mount tabs that are not present on the other frames. It also has mounting holes for the trans crossmember that are not there on the other frames due to the bellhousing trans mounts. If you are looking to replace your frame, and plan to use a non-J88 frame, you'll need to carefully remove these tabs from your original frame and weld them to the replacement. You'll also need to locate and drill the crossmember holes. If it's a boxed convertible frame, you'll need to weld on the tabs that the crossmember bolts to.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 12:24 AM

The control arms and steering linkage are the same on all 1964 full size cars.
I thought there were two different steering / suspensions used on B and C bodies in 64? I remember measuring the front spindle of my 64 98 to determine if it had a Saginaw or Tecumseh front end.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 07:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
I thought there were two different steering / suspensions used on B and C bodies in 64? I remember measuring the front spindle of my 64 98 to determine if it had a Saginaw or Tecumseh front end.
My point was that the 1964 J88s used the same suspension and steering as all other 63-64 B/C body cars except for the spindles. The Thompson vs. Saginaw center link issue is the same for all of those cars and is unrelated to the J88's differences. There are still people who think that the J88 uses A-body suspension. It doesn't, just the brakes and rear axle style are A-body.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 09:29 AM

Joe.....

You MUST write a book.

Tip o' the Hat once again.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 08:58 PM

The Thompson vs. Saginaw center link issue is the same for all of those cars and is unrelated to the J88's differences.
Thompson... ok. It's been so many years since I did the suspension on my 64 98 (2000). I knew there was something squirrley about them. Thanks for clarifying that Joe.
Old December 26th, 2013, 06:25 PM

Thx James

What is the name of the company that offers the front end kit? Is it an upgrade kit?
My 64 jetstar 88 has very sloppy steering/suspension. I need an upgrade, to tightening up the suspension.
Old December 26th, 2013, 06:31 PM

PST was who I was looking at. It is an upgrade from stock but not really a performance upgrade. I have used them for several other projects and like their product.
Old December 26th, 2013, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the info!

Do you know of performance upgrades for the front or rear suspension?

I've seen some upgrade rear tubular suspension.
Old December 27th, 2013, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by my second olds
Thanks for the info!

Do you know of performance upgrades for the front or rear suspension?
The only thing that I have seen is Hotchkis has tubular rear control arms.

I've seen some upgrade rear tubular suspension.
Old December 27th, 2013, 06:47 AM

Yeah, those are the ones.

So, I guess with the rear arms and the front suspension bushings, it's got to be some kind of upgrade.
Old December 27th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

PST was who I was looking at. It is an upgrade from stock but not really a performance upgrade. I have used them for several other projects and like their product.
I don't know what catalog you're looking at, but I just checked the PST website and the only suspension parts they show for a 1964 J88 are stock rebuild parts (and many say "call for availability"). I'd be amazed if anyone sells performance suspension parts for a 1964 J88 or any 1963-64 Olds full size car.
Old December 29th, 2013, 01:34 PM

In my dream world I would love to install air bags or a ride tech system.

But I know no one makes this.

So I guess replacing bushings and tubular arms with some stiffer shocks should make a pretty good difference.
Old December 31st, 2013, 07:11 PM

Joe I did not mean that it was a performance upgrade. What i meant was their bushing material is an upgrade from stock rubber. They don't list much for the jetstar 88 but they list a full front end rebuild kit for a dynamic. Nothing performance oriented.

Last edited by enginenine; December 31st, 2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old January 1st, 2014, 08:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

Joe I did not mean that it was a performance upgrade. What i meant was their bushing material is an upgrade from stock rubber.
I'm curious as to where you got that info. From what I can read, they are just stock replacement bushings. They might be an upgrade as compared to worn original bushings, but I don't see where the rubber is any harder durometer than stock, or any other type of "upgrade".
Old January 1st, 2014, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'm curious as to where you got that info. From what I can read, they are just stock replacement bushings. They might be an upgrade as compared to worn original bushings, but I don't see where the rubber is any harder durometer than stock, or any other type of "upgrade".
I have to apologize. I guess I was reading into it. I was sure that the bushing were poly graphite but I don't see that now. They must be plain rubber