Front Suspension swap on 64 Jetstar 88?

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2009, 08:06 PM

Front Suspension swap on 64 Jetstar 88?

Well, i was working on the front suspension on my Jetstar today, and I see that it is not going to be low enough for me with just air bags. And since I want to convert to disc brakes up front, I think the best thing to do is get a drop spindle and then do the disc swap at the same time as the bags. I think I should be able to get a-body ball joints for a chevelle, and swap them into my arms, then get the chevelle drop spindles and disc setup. am I thinking right, or will those ball joints not work in my arms? Am I right about the Jetstar being an a-body?
Old January 16th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Not an A-Body!

I don't know if you can use Chevelle parts on your front end, but the Jetstar 88 is a B-Body car with the same specs as any other 88. The brakes are smaller.....

Best wishes,

Ddbord
Old January 16th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by bourbon
Am I right about the Jetstar being an a-body?
Nope. Despite the marketing that it uses A-body suspension, it does not. It uses special spindles that are unique to the 1964 J-88 to mount the 9.5" A-body front drums on the B-body suspension arms. The Chevelle spindles WILL NOT work. For starters, the J-88 is rear steer (steering linkage behind the axle centerling) and the A-body is front steer. Aftermarket disc brakes are your only choice, and I'm not aware of any lowering spindles that fit.

Since the question will undoubtedly come up, Impala spindles won't work either. The 1964 Impala chassis and suspension is completely different from the Olds B-body cars and nothing interchanges. As an example, the lower ball joint on the Impala has the stud pointed down, the Olds has the stud pointed up.