steering wheel removal

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2007, 04:20 PM

steering wheel removal

Hi everyone
68 cutlass s standard column
does anyone have any pictures or manual pages for removing and re-installing steering wheel. Where do the three small springs go?

Thanks
cola
Old December 6th, 2007, 06:28 PM

I can look around and see what I can come up with. But as was being discussed on another thread if your going to keep your car for very long it's well worth the money to invest in a Chassis Service manual for your year. They're on ebay and the price may range from $25-75 depending on how many people your bidding against. John
Old December 7th, 2007, 03:57 PM

steering wheel removal

Hi John
Thanks for the help, does the chassis service manual cover everything? I'll keep my eyes open and see if I can get one. I'll try to explain where these springs came from. I pulled the wheel off with a puller. On the inside was the white plastic turn signal cam. I had to remove the horn slip ring and then three long screws to remove the cam. Once the cam was out I replaced the spring in the horn contact plunger. I went to put the cam and screws back in but the the screws were not grabbing anything. So I removed the horse shoe clip holding the wheel bearing and removed the bearing that's when I seen the three springs. I don't know where they go and how they are held in place.

Thanks
Andy
Old December 7th, 2007, 09:04 PM

Hi Andy
The Chassis Service Manual covers all the mechanical parts and some of the sheetmetal details with both diagrams and photos. Really excellent book and worth every penny, when you get the extra money! I found my 1968 Chassis Service Manual and photographed some of the diagrams of what I believe you need. I hope they came out clear enough for you to use, and yes there are three small springs shown under the turn signal parts. Go to my photobucket site to view them.

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k257/2blu442/

Let me know if there's anything else you need. John
Old December 8th, 2007, 05:43 AM

steering wheel removal

Hi John
Thanks alot for the pictures, exactly what I'm looking for!! I'll have to get one after Christmas. It looks like the cover and lock plate and cam are all one assembly. I think I can assembly it out of the car and then rotate it back in?

Thanks
Happy Holidays

Andy