Power Steering Loud Deafining Screeching

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2017, 01:08 PM

Power Steering Loud Deafining Screeching

I have a 68 Cutlass Convertible. The VIN (33667) decodes as a V8 Olds Cultass 2dr Convertible. It sat for 25 years and I have been slowly repairing and restoring my baby. I am at a point to drive it and fix what fails. I have come across an issue that has me stumped. My old power steering pump no longer held fluid. I filled it and took it around the block. It was empty when I returned to my garage. There is no telling how long the fluid was low or empty. I replaced the pump and filled it with fluid. I started the car and there is a loud deafining sound any time I turn the wheel. It is not the sound when it has low fluid. I know that sound. I seem to remember that Oldsmobile used 3 different PS pumps during that production year. (I may be mistaken). Does this indicate the wrong pump? (In any case, I am having my PS pump rebuilt) Is my steering gear done as well? Should that be rebuilt as well? I have an extra gear if it is toasted beyond repair.

Has anyone had any experience with this situation?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20140828_190759.jpg (2.55 MB, 0 views)
Old October 2nd, 2017, 01:23 PM
same but different

Welcome to the site hope you find the help you need to enjoy your car.

Sounds like you need a new/rebuilt pump.

You could get one at a local parts store or on line, but keep in mind you'll need to rent the proper puller to remove your pulley and install it...most likely as new ones don't come with the pulley. Not a big deal, You can do this or have some one else do it.

I wouldn't worry about the steering box at this point, you can cross that bridge later, when you get there.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 01:40 PM

Thanks. This noise is from a brand new pump. I matched the numbers so it would work on my car. This is what I have after I installed a new pump.

I sent my old pump to be rebuilt today. I should have it back in a few weeks.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 01:46 PM
same but different

Ok, sorry you had that trouble.

Be sure to bleed all air out of the system when re-filling. When the time comes, I'll suggest you lift your front a little with tires just off the ground, and slowly turn lock to lock multiple times and keeping an eye your fluid level, while adding fluid when necessary.

Hope that helps.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 02:40 PM
Hookers under Hood

X2 with Don, you need to bleed it by turning the wheel, left lock to right lock, multiple times with the tires off the ground preferably.
Eric
Old October 2nd, 2017, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by cpajdk17
Thanks. This noise is from a brand new pump. I matched the numbers so it would work on my car. This is what I have after I installed a new pump.

I sent my old pump to be rebuilt today. I should have it back in a few weeks.
Brand new or remanufactured? I, unfortunately, have had more than a few parts fresh from the box not work, new and remanufactured. I went through three power steering pumps A-1 Cardone remans a few years ago. Two were dead right out of the box and wouldn't move any fluid at all, the third leaked but lasted long enough to get my original rebuilt and resealed and back in the 67 Cutlass. I changed it at the same time I did a Jeep Grand Cherokee steering gear box swap. Best upgrade I've done on my 67, even better than the disc brake upgrade.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Is it the belt screeching or the pump? I agree, the power steering may have some air in it if you have no power steering while it is screeching.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 03:36 PM
Old(s) Fart

All the Saginaw pumps are the same. You either didn't reinstall the spacers correctly or didn't properly tension the belt.

There are THREE fasteners that you need to loosen to adjust the belt, the two bolts on the front and the one nut at the bottom rear of the pump. Once you loosen all three, use a large screwdriver as a pry bar and insert it between the nose of the pump and the tab on the bracket, between the pulley and the bracket. The photo shows the proper position of the screwdriver with the pulley removed for clarity. Use the screwdriver to tension the belt while tightening the two bolts on the front, then get the nut on the back. Failure to do this properly is why there are frequent posts about belts squealing.