Engine Accessories Paint

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2008, 11:53 AM

Question Engine Accessories Paint

Hello all,

I am rebuilding the 350 in my 1973 Delta 88, and while the engine is out, I am going to repaint all of the brackets(a/c, alternator, etc.) and air cleaner. Any suggestions on types of paint to use? I am looking to use an off the shelf rattle-can. Also, should I use flat, semi-gloss, or gloss paint?

Thanks,
Chris
Old August 11th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Oldsdruid

Krylon semi-gloss black (approx 60% gloss) is a very close match for most all the brackets. It goes on smooth and dries quickly. If you can bead blast them before painting, that will make a very nice finish.

I've seen aircleaners both gloss and semi-gloss. I think that may have been an assembly plant thing.

The factory did not spray most of this stuff. They floated a layer of paint on a vat of water, then dipped the components in the vat. When the rack of parts was raised out, it came thru the layer of paint and paint stuck to the components. They also used the cheapest paint they could get.
Old August 11th, 2008, 12:50 PM

I would also use semi-gloss. I have used flat to paint my harmonic balancer and it is almost too flat. It seems that the paint will rub off the moment I start the engine.
Old August 11th, 2008, 01:39 PM

I just finished painting all of my brackets and power steering pump with duplicolor low gloss black engine paint DE1634.
I first cleaned all of the parts in very hot water and dish detergent and then wet sanded everything before painting.
I am very happy with the results.
Old August 11th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Registered

Eastwood underhood black is just the right gloss for brackets, been using it forever, it buffs to a more shiny finish if you want. I like the air cleaners gloss black along with the power steering pump. I used some ? gloss engine paint with ceramic, does look good and is slightly factory orange peeled looking, use it on the air tube and it doesn't burn off.

Allan

Last edited by Bluevista; August 11th, 2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old August 11th, 2008, 06:53 PM

Personally, I perfer powdercoating
Old August 12th, 2008, 05:42 AM

Powdercoating is excellent if it is done correctly. I had the valve covers on my 394 powder coated over 5 years ago and they still look great!
Old August 12th, 2008, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by marinus_
I just finished painting all of my brackets and power steering pump with duplicolor low gloss black engine paint DE1634.
I first cleaned all of the parts in very hot water and dish detergent and then wet sanded everything before painting.
I am very happy with the results.
I used the Duplicolor last night on a few parts and it looks great. Exactly what I was looking for; slightly glossy, but not enough to make my not quite perfectly straight parts look rediculous. I will be finishing up the rest this week. Thanks
Chris
Old August 12th, 2008, 12:01 PM

I have been thinking of powder coating all my acc'y brackets next year when I pull the A/C system.
Anything in particular I should know about the process and how to choose a shop or is it all done the same way?
Anyone know what this might cost? Any examples?
Old August 12th, 2008, 01:06 PM

I believe I paid about $150 for my valve covers when I had them powder coated 5 years ago. The number one thing I can say is CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN. I took my valve covers to a shop that does industrial powder coating and they had to do them 3 times before they got it right. They kept telling me they were done and I went to pick them up and the valve covers had nasty orange peel and discoloration on them.

I paid them to bead blast the valve covers and clean them but apparently the guy didn't get them clean enough. The first time I went to pick them up I found the spot and they tried to tell me it was my fault. Then I reminded them that I was paying them to clean the valve covers as well (even though they were already mostly clean).

When I had them powder coat the valve covers they had a few different powder coating formulas that they could use. I chose a formula that was highly resistant to chemicals and petroleum products (brake cleaner, carb cleaner, oil, gasoline etc.). The only drawback was that the formula had almost zero tolerance to UV rays (no problem though since the valve covers are under the hood).

To this day the valve covers still look great and clean easily with Simple Green. The only drawback is that I had to remove them once or twice to do valve train work. When I did that the powder coating sort of chipped on the underside where the gasket was.
Old August 12th, 2008, 03:01 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I have been thinking of powder coating all my acc'y brackets next year when I pull the A/C system.
Anything in particular I should know about the process and how to choose a shop or is it all done the same way?
Anyone know what this might cost? Any examples?
I used Quality Powder Coating in Carrolton. They did a great job. PM me if you want to come by and see sometime.
Old August 12th, 2008, 05:42 PM

This is the place I use.

http://www.boneheadperformance.com/M...2/merchant.mvc

So far they have done a valve cover for the Alero in "black wrinkle" and they will be doning the upper and lower intakes soon. I had the intake tubing done in mirror red and the windshield wiper arms done in flat black. All look great and are standing up very well.

I was going to have a set of valve covers done for the Delta, but the valve covers turned out to be garbage so the guy didn't do them
Old August 12th, 2008, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisM
I used the Duplicolor last night on a few parts and it looks great. Exactly what I was looking for; slightly glossy, but not enough to make my not quite perfectly straight parts look rediculous. I will be finishing up the rest this week. Thanks
Chris
I am happy that it sounds that you are as pleased as I am with the results.
I forgot to mention one thing though........ DO NOT use your wifes new dish cleaning brush to wash your engine parts or her new dish towel to dry them. BIG BIG NO NO. (Oops)
Old August 13th, 2008, 06:13 AM

DO NOT use your wifes new dish cleaning brush to wash your engine parts
You could always put the dirty brush and towels in the dog house out back. Tell her that the dogs grabbed them and buried them and that is why they are dirty.
Old August 13th, 2008, 02:31 PM

Are you speaking from personal experience?
Old August 14th, 2008, 06:00 AM

Well, it is always good to have a back up plan!

Actually, I got away with cleaning my new roller tip rockers in the kitchen sink with some Simple Green last night. I just came in and started cleaning while she was making dinner. I never said anything and she never asked. I guess she let me get away with it because they weren't greasy.