72 Cutlass Console Lock

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2024, 12:12 PM

72 Cutlass Console Lock

How can I remove the lock from the center console of my car? It works but there is play in the lid when it is closed and I am trying to get it adjusted for a better fit.
Old April 24th, 2024, 01:59 PM

The lock assembly is held in with a small screw that holds the lock cylinder in a housing. The cylinder inserts from the outside, the housing from the inside, and the screw holds the two together, with the console sandwiched between the two.

With that said, there is no adjustment in the lock cylinder to take up that vertical slack. The catch on the lid is the only place to make any adjustments, but be VERY careful if you attempt to bend it as the metal is very hard and can snap. That happened to me back in the 80s, and I had to drill a hole in the remaining section to catch the hook on the lock cylinder.
Old April 24th, 2024, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
The lock assembly is held in with a small screw that holds the lock cylinder in a housing. The cylinder inserts from the outside, the housing from the inside, and the screw holds the two together, with the console sandwiched between the two.

With that said, there is no adjustment in the lock cylinder to take up that vertical slack. The catch on the lid is the only place to make any adjustments, but be VERY careful if you attempt to bend it as the metal is very hard and can snap. That happened to me back in the 80s, and I had to drill a hole in the remaining section to catch the hook on the lock cylinder.

Thank you. There is an indentation on the outside of the console where you insert the key and it looks like the lock is not in the center of that indentation. I thought if I could loosen the lock and may be able to cneter it and get a tighter fit.
Old April 24th, 2024, 07:06 PM

The lock cylinder should be centered in the well, so your theory might be right. There’s a small screw on the inside of the lock assembly. Remove that screw and the lock cylinder and housing can be removed from the console.
Old April 25th, 2024, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
The lock cylinder should be centered in the well, so your theory might be right. There’s a small screw on the inside of the lock assembly. Remove that screw and the lock cylinder and housing can be removed from the console.
Thanks, I will give it a try.
Old April 30th, 2024, 06:05 PM

Loosened the lock and moved it down. The door of the console latches the way it should with no play in the lid.

Thanks
Old April 30th, 2024, 08:09 PM

Glad to hear you got it corrected.