69' remote mirror disassemble?

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2011, 05:43 AM

69' remote mirror disassemble?

Going to send my mirror on rechrome and have to disasseble it first, but where do i start? Can I just pop the glas or how is it fixed? And does anybody know where I can get new mounting bolts to this mirror?

Thanks!
Old November 26th, 2011, 08:07 AM

If it's like other remote mirrors, which I think it is, once you get it off the car, you'll see that you can remove the pivoting mirror assembly by removing a couple screws. Then you can also remove the base as well.
Old November 26th, 2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by W70442
If it's like other remote mirrors, which I think it is, once you get it off the car, you'll see that you can remove the pivoting mirror assembly by removing a couple screws. Then you can also remove the base as well.
Im stuck at this point, how do I get the wires through the base? Should I disassemble the wire at the mirror or at the lever?
Old November 26th, 2011, 08:35 AM

Which ever looks easier.
I had had the remote wires off of the lever end before but it's been a long time but I know for a fact that you can remove the cables from the lever end of a 70 sport mirror and reinstall them. Hopefully, somoene will chime in with more recent personal experience but I would remove the ables from which ever end is easiest.
Have you removed the mirror from the housing so that you can see how the cables attach to the mirror?
Old November 26th, 2011, 08:51 AM

Which ever looks easier.
I had had the remote wires off of the lever end before but it's been a long time but I know for a fact that you can remove the cables from the lever end of a 70 sport mirror and reinstall them. Hopefully, somoene will chime in with more recent personal experience but I would remove the ables from which ever end is easiest.
Have you removed the mirror from the housing so that you can see how the cables attach to the mirror?
Yes it seems that the wires runs trough the metalbase on the back of the mirror. So I think the easiest way would be to disassemble it at the lever, the question is how?
Hopefully someone with some experience could answer to that!
Old November 27th, 2011, 05:51 AM

Nobody that knows how to remove the wires without breaking it?
Old November 27th, 2011, 09:22 AM

The ends of the cables have little cylinders on them that fit into a block with three spaces for the cables. The block is spring loaded so you have to pull the cables up while holding the block down. The fitting that the cables go into only fits into the chromed plate that screws to the door one way so it's a good idea to mark which cable came out of which hole/slot so you put them back in the right place. If you don't, pushing the lever up might make the mirror go down instead when you get it back together.
Old November 27th, 2011, 10:12 AM

chassis manual shows to take it apart at the **** end
looks like a retainer clip that holds the escutcheon face cover then will slip up and out ?
Old November 27th, 2011, 10:32 AM

fisher body manual states on styles with remote control door out side mirrors the escutcheon and controls must be disengaged from the door trim assembly or arm rest to permit trim assembly to be removed same picture of a half clup that gets pulled up and out to remove handle check oout wild about cars they have the manual online i think
Old November 27th, 2011, 11:15 AM

Jimpeboy,
When you said, "Im stuck at this point, how do I get the wires through the base? Should I disassemble the wire at the mirror or at the lever?" It sounded like you already had the chrome bezel disonnected from the cable.
If you have the bezel off, are you saying that the lever with cables still attached won't pull through the hole in the base of the mirror? That's what it sounded like to me.
Old November 27th, 2011, 02:34 PM

I looked but didnt se any thing on the mirror side ?
Old November 28th, 2011, 12:13 AM

Jimpeboy,
When you said, "Im stuck at this point, how do I get the wires through the base? Should I disassemble the wire at the mirror or at the lever?" It sounded like you already had the chrome bezel disonnected from the cable.
If you have the bezel off, are you saying that the lever with cables still attached won't pull through the hole in the base of the mirror? That's what it sounded like to me.
Yes, this is where im stuck. The mirror is of the car now I just have to get the cables to go through the base, some how.
Old November 28th, 2011, 03:47 AM

I did it! It was pretty easy when you figured it out!
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:15 AM

Well...how did you do it??
Old June 30th, 2015, 10:01 AM

I am doing the same thing now, trying to get apart a remote mirror for rechrome. Any guidance will be most appreciated.

-Thanks!-