1970's GM column ignition switch security?

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2019, 08:47 AM

1970's GM column ignition switch security?

I was wondering if anyone has installed a security device for the 1970's GM column ignition switch? My son had an old GM Caprice Wagon that he installed a steel collar around the lock area of the column. It came in two halves and had bolts where the head of the bolts snapped off after it was tightened down. That way, it wasn't easy for crooks to get into the column and steal the car. He did this cause they pulled his door lock, punched the side out of the column and tried to take it. They couldn't because it was the first year Caprices had the chip in the key. Just thinking that I take cars to shows and walk away to chat and look at other cars. I leave them with windows down and someone could just take off with one of them. A guy I used to work with parked his older GM car at work after lunch and the car was stolen within a minute or so after he was inside. Just curious.....

Thanks,
OLE442
Old September 6th, 2019, 09:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

All you need to steal one of these cars is a slide hammer and a screwdriver. Use the slide hammer to extract the lock cylinder and use the screwdriver to turn the actuator in the remaining hole to unlock the column and start the car. Takes about 30 seconds if you've practiced. There are numerous metal collars on the market that clamp around the lock cylinder on the column and prevent this. Of course, today, thieves just use a truck with a wheel lift to make off with the car. The rest can be sorted out at their leisure.