Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

Ez EFI conversion

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2012, 03:44 AM
GM's Best Division

Ez EFI conversion

Has anyone used the EZ EFI conversion? I was thining of going this route due to wanting the carb & air cleaner look, but would like to know. Does it self tune as it claims, is it a easy installation.
Old July 31st, 2012, 04:24 AM

Efi

I installed 1 last year on my SBO 362 and love it.
Yes it self tunes, the more you drive the better the car runs.
Its a good entry level unit that you can set it and forget it.
There's nothing like pulling the spark plugs and finding them all perfect.
You can tune and play with it if you like, but no need.
You will need a return to your tank and have to weld in an o2 sensor bung.
For the money these are good kits.
Mark-cutlassefi has more advanced units available, with a lot more options.
Old August 1st, 2012, 12:23 PM
Hangin' out...

Originally Posted by FIRST 442
I installed 1 last year on my SBO 362 and love it.
Yes it self tunes, the more you drive the better the car runs.
Its a good entry level unit that you can set it and forget it.
There's nothing like pulling the spark plugs and finding them all perfect.
You can tune and play with it if you like, but no need.
You will need a return to your tank and have to weld in an o2 sensor bung.
For the money these are good kits.
Mark-cutlassefi has more advanced units available, with a lot more options.
Were there any improvements to MPG or power in general?
Old August 6th, 2012, 04:11 AM

You MIGHT see a 1mpg increase. The EZ EFI is not going to net you gains in MPG you would hope for.
Most people that see the increase are those who didn't have their engines tuned properly from the get go.

It's big claim to fame is going to be easier starts and better throttle response.
If MPG is your end goal, an overdrive transmission is a better investment.
Old August 6th, 2012, 05:53 AM

Efi

What he said.

I have no idea about fuel consumption, My engine was born with the EFI, but it has to be a little better, it adjusts air fuel ratio for idle,part throttle and full throttle and they are all user adjustable.
Most of it probably depends on your input to the loud pedal, just like a carb.

Go for it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
EFI.jpg (49.6 KB, 102 views)
Old August 6th, 2012, 07:21 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
You MIGHT see a 1mpg increase. The EZ EFI is not going to net you gains in MPG you would hope for.
Most people that see the increase are those who didn't have their engines tuned properly from the get go.

It's big claim to fame is going to be easier starts and better throttle response.
If MPG is your end goal, an overdrive transmission is a better investment.
Yet again I agree with Eric.

Another benefit will be prolonged engine life just because it stays in peak tune.
Modern engines are good for 200k+ miles, partly due to improved engineering and partly due to staying in tune between services.

Roger.
Old August 6th, 2012, 07:43 AM

My $0.02
Modern sequential port injection is mated with intake, head design, spark control, cam, etc all combine to produce good torque at low rpm to match the OD trans. All those work together to improve fuel milage. A TBI setup alone on a 400hp engine wont get you anywhere near the milage of a new corvette.
If milage is your goal, dont bother with TBI. Just have your ignition and carb set up correctly.
Old August 6th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I like the looks of the EZ efi but there is no timing control. If it had the option of using a CCC distributor with it, would improve everything somewhat. You can grab a junk yard sbc TBI set up and an Olds CCC distributor and have all that. Of course the custom tuneable ecm out there would make it ideal. I just fooled the computer by running 21 base on my 4x4. Good power and similar to the sbc 350 mileage wise. I always thought these trucks got 20+ imperial mpg, seems high teens is pushing it in the real world. I have figured out 9, 13 and 16 mpg. I think a proper rebuild would add a couple mpg, in town 10 mpg is about what I'm getting. Of course the stock 31.6" tires are big mileage killers. Similar power wise to all the 5.3/4L65E 4x4's I have drove. The LS has the advantage over 4 grand, but it should be better everywhere, it isn't.
Old August 6th, 2012, 12:43 PM
GM's Best Division

Thanks for all the replies, I was looking at the Ez EFI due to dropping a LQ4 in my 72 Cutlass. I like the carb look better but I still want the fuel injection, I was also looking and found the 71 SX from Schwartzperomance and it has a nice set up with a carb intake mated to a stock LS throttle body with fuel rails. Does anyone know what the cost difference would be, or who makes that set up?
Old August 6th, 2012, 01:35 PM

There was a post over at LS1tech where someone put a TB on a carb intake with an adapter.
Thry this, a single plane carb intake with injector bungs, stock injectors, aftermarket rails, an adapter for a DBW throttle body, and an SD tune.
Would have the carb look with efi.
Old August 7th, 2012, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by UnkleMarc455
Thanks for all the replies, I was looking at the Ez EFI due to dropping a LQ4 in my 72 Cutlass.
If you're going to put a modern LSx engine in your car, it's foolish to not use
the already existing factory fuel injection it comes with.

Unless.....of course you just will spend that extra cash to get the carb & air cleaner look.

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
The LS has the advantage over 4 grand, but it should be better everywhere, it isn't.
Of course it's not going to have the monster torque the Olds motors big bore and short stroke do.
However, that's the ONLY area an Olds motor has a check mark over the LS.

LS roller hydraulic , 14 degree heads, and more then BBO head flow out of small block heads.
(L92 heads and above) plus they've pushed 800hp-1000hp on stock internals.

Small block Olds VS LS2/3/7 is not even close to a fair comparison. (destroys the 350)
You have to put the BBO up against a modern LS3 or above to even be fair.

Last edited by Aceshigh; August 7th, 2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old August 8th, 2012, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by UnkleMarc455
I was looking at the Ez EFI due to dropping a LQ4 in my 72 Cutlass. I like the carb look better but I still want the fuel injection,
Wouldn't touch a fuel-only EFI setup, it's leaving huge amount of modern driveability & potentially some performance on the table.

TBI or carb, a wet flow intake without heat, driveability & economy will suffer as the intake surface temperatures change. Schwartz got it right by retaining the port injection.

Difference of opinion but I don't get the "carb on LS and hide the coils" gig especially if it's a LS swapped in a non-chevy vehicle. For the .5% of the time hood is popped at the show you spend the other 99.5% with a carb.
Old August 9th, 2012, 01:18 PM
GM's Best Division

Just found the set-up through Mast Motorsports and its exactly like the Schwartzperformance one. Still retains the Multi port fuel injection with an adapter plater for the throttle body. Didn't see a price for though but i could build my own with the Edelbrock intake thats already made for the injectors. I'll post the price when I find out. The visual is my preference, it just looks cleaner with coil packs hidden, GM did this on the Corvette, Camaro, CTS, GTO & maybe others.
Old August 14th, 2012, 11:15 AM
GM's Best Division

Now I'm waiting for the price to come, might just need the adapter plater plate & make my own!

Last edited by UnkleMarc455; August 14th, 2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: adding pic
Old August 17th, 2012, 10:57 AM
GM's Best Division

The adapter from Mast Motor Sport is $299, this is includes the billet adapter, o rings, the drop base air cleaner adapter & mass air sensor.
Old August 17th, 2012, 11:04 AM

That's a very cool look.
Does that work with a 3 and/or 4 bolt DBW TB?
Also, does it use a MAF or is it for an SD tune. If you put a MAF too close to the TB, you'll have problems.
Old August 18th, 2012, 06:47 PM
GM's Best Division

Not sure if its for a 3 or 4 bolt tb, i'll call on Monday and find out. Ialso want to know if you can use an after market TB. SD tune will have to be done. I really like this look especially with valve covers that hide the coils packs. This will make it hard to determine what your actually running at first glance.