Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

1970 LS swap info needed

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2017, 06:25 PM

1970 LS swap info needed

Has anybody used a holly pan,speed engineering headers and ICT mounts.I really want to run these headers and need to find mounts that will work.1970 cutlass

Last edited by a70oldscutlass; December 13th, 2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old December 14th, 2017, 11:39 AM

also check ls1tech.com and the oldsmobile powered by chevy group on facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/833710123406913/ or ls swap everything on facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/1417764505133515/
Old December 17th, 2017, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by a70oldscutlass
Has anybody used a holly pan,speed engineering headers and ICT mounts.I really want to run these headers and need to find mounts that will work.1970 cutlass
With so many LS Swap parts vendors out there, it will hard to find someone with your exact combo.

The ICT billet look to just be copies of the Dirty Dingo DD adjustables. I'm guessing the Speed Engineering headers are a copy of some other pre-existing ones, just cheaper. They look just like my Doug's headers.

I would get the engine in the car with the pan first so you can get your firewall clearance set, then fit headers. I thing at this stage of the LS swap game, most headers will clear. The Holley oil pan is proven, you just need to find the right mount point for your engine.

Here's a thread you can check out

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...headers-2.html

Sorry for the long winded answer
Old December 17th, 2017, 05:57 PM

Thanks for the help.I have been reading everything that I find.There seems to be a lot of different ways that have been tried and different thoughts about each one.
Old December 17th, 2017, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the help.I have been reading everything that I find.There seems to be a lot of different ways that have been tried and different thoughts about each one.
Yeah, I don't know anyone that has been able to use the mounts in the position in the crossmember that are drilled for the Olds frame stands.

I'm on a situation now where I am about to move my engine forward a little because when I first installed it, I had a the F Body oil pan and it was right next to the crossmember. My Autokraft pan has about 3" between the crossmember and the sump. I could use another 1" between my intake in the firewall.
Old December 17th, 2017, 08:04 PM

If you don't mind can you tell me more about your setup.I have the chevelle frame perches and crossmember already.
Old December 18th, 2017, 07:16 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by you have the crossmember? I have the SBC short and narrow frame perches and Dirty Dingo DD adjustable mounts. The ITC billet mounts look just like them.
I'm using Energy Suspension motor mounts, Doug's LS swap headers and Autokraft(Champ Racing) oil pan. I'm needing to move motor fwd in the adapters because I changed to a FAST 102 intake and with the size of the runners, it's too close to the firewall.

Chris
Old December 20th, 2017, 07:51 PM

I think mine are the short and narrow also but was needing to get motor mounts and I have the tube style crossmember.I may not be able to use the fast 102 either.I really want to put a LSA S/C on it but I don't know if I can figure it all out.
Old December 20th, 2017, 08:29 PM

Tubular crossmember will be ok. You need to decide which pan you wan to use, that will greatly determine engine location.

Mine should be moved forward right after Christmas. My friend has the engine hoist tied up right now. Everything has been disassembled and should go quickly
Old December 20th, 2017, 08:33 PM

I already have the holley pan and I think I will go ahead and try the ict mounts and speed engineering headers.
Old December 26th, 2017, 07:21 AM

I already have the holley pan and I think I will go ahead and try the ict mounts and speed engineering headers.
If you already have the ICT mounts, then go for it. Many people have made this swap work before Holley came out with a complete kit.
Old January 28th, 2018, 07:53 PM

what front springs will I need since the ls motor is lighter?
Old January 29th, 2018, 07:37 AM

My 72 had a 455. It was rock hard and way too high with the iron block 5.3.
I went with chevelle, small block, no AC springs. Very happy with the ride and height now.

what front springs will I need since the ls motor is lighter?
Old January 29th, 2018, 08:30 AM

As Gary said most will use SBC springs. With all the LS swaps out there now, most aftermarket springs will be listed as SBC\LS spring rate.
Old January 30th, 2018, 07:56 AM

If you do not mind me asking, why not use another Oldsmobile engine? It is just that they have plenty of power and run almost forever - back in the day these engines powered everyday drivers on high speed highways to local back roads, in hot humid 100 degree days to snowing brutally cold minus 10 degree days. The 350 engines were especially adapt to running in extreme conditions.

Last edited by anthonyP; January 30th, 2018 at 08:08 AM.
Old January 30th, 2018, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by anthonyP
If you do not mind me asking, why not use another Oldsmobile engine? It is just that they have plenty of power and run almost forever - back in the day these engines powered everyday drivers on high speed highways to local back roads, in hot humid 100 degree days to snowing brutally cold minus 10 degree days. The 350 engines were especially adapt to running in extreme conditions.
I'm not sure about the OP, but I had built a 455 that as lost due to theft from storage. I told myself I was not going to put that money into another old iron motor again. The convenience and reliability of EFI made the switch to LS a no brainer. Yes you can add EFI to an Olds motor, but the cost of a multi port conversion would be @ 2k, I paid that much for my 60k LS2.
I think most motors can adapt to extreme conditions assuming the carb and timing are right, with EFI you just turn the ignition. I never have to wonder "is this gonna be a bad day?" It fires every time.... You have the engine sensors to deal with when you thing of something that could fail or cause issue, but the ODB scanner makes life that much easier....

I'm sure the OP will give his reason...
Old January 30th, 2018, 06:35 PM

Thanks for the help.I guess you used the factory springs in the back?
anthonyP- I have had olds motors all my life and I like them.I always swore that I wouldn't ever put a chevy motor in a olds but a couple months ago I changed my mind.I have a 99 Ram Air Transam and it don't have much done to it and it will run mid 11's and still get 26 mpg., dependable and I can take off and go on long drives and not break the bank nor break down.I like my olds better than my Transam but when we go on long drives I don't ever take it.I enjoy long drives more now than I used to so I will have to change my mind and go ls.
Old January 30th, 2018, 07:13 PM

Do you have a part number for the springs?
Old February 1st, 2018, 05:58 AM

Tamraz, parts place, year one, etc will have them by application.

Do you have a part number for the springs?
Old March 2nd, 2018, 05:59 AM

Answering the OP question, that combination of parts is pretty particular and I doubt you will find another member that used that exact combo of parts. I went with holly mounts, headers, oil pan, trans cross member and everything bolted up great! Driveline angles were spot on and for me it was worth the time not having to fabricate parts to make it all fit. Hope all goes well with your project. I'm loving my LS power!