Hi All info on 1970 W30 Production numbers needed.

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2017, 09:19 AM

Hi All info on 1970 W30 Production numbers needed.

I posted this same info to oldcutlass and he said to post it here and perhaps someone could help me out. My buddy is just getting his car redone at the present time. It is a 1970 W-30 442. My question who can answer how many of a certain type and color were made of the W-30's color wise and so on or perhaps it is one of those that no one actually can answer. His is black hardtop,black interior, black vynal top on the car. 455 4-speed. It came with clear glass but is changing it to the tinted glass through out the car when it gets put back together here shortly. The guy redoing it has done other W-30's in the past and was thinking this may be perhaps 1 of 100 but was not sure. I said I would get ahold of you guys here to see if you can help. Many thanks for the help and great site. You can pm me or list it here and I will check back. Hope to find a car for myself soon as I have been looking for a couple of years but then life gets in the way and things get pushed back. Rob

Vin number is: 344870M383523
Trim Tag Has : TR930 and paint is 19B

He got the car off a used car lot in 72 and it has always been the way I described it and not repianted like others to be a triple black. He wants to find out if it is like 1 of 100 or what ever if anyone can help out.

Thanks Guys and or Gals as they love cars as much as guys!
Old March 17th, 2017, 09:23 AM

No way to know, no records on that data. What color stripes does the car have? Sounds like a great car
Old March 17th, 2017, 09:34 AM

It has the white stripe package on the car and it will be painted back on the car. The guy doing the job has done other W-30's in the past and is very good at his work. This is what it was before it was taken apart for being redone.
Old March 17th, 2017, 10:07 AM

Nice car

try 442.com
they have some info on there.
Old March 17th, 2017, 10:15 AM

Don't think they got by color numbers at 442.com

i can say for sure though that none where built with the Chevy wheels.
being a triple black 442 and a four speed to boot is very desirable. A great car to own.

Last edited by Gary M; March 17th, 2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old March 17th, 2017, 10:33 AM

Production Numbers

Thus far based on the info you have provided and making the assumption that the VIN tag is and trim tags are authentic it shows as one of the 14,711 442 Holiday Coupes produced in 1970.

Trim tag info reads black with a black vinyl top with black bucket seat (std) interior.

It was built at the Lansing Michigan plant where many 442s and all W-30s were built.

Documentation and other info will be needed to prove the 442s status as a W-30 and 4 speed optioned car. If it is indeed such then it would be one of 1,032 produced in all possible color combinations and all RPO option combinations. (There were some unique colors used to include Purple.)

The OLDS info which exists does not break down all options and / or colors, like you can attain for some Ford cars, via Kevin Marti.

Kool car and IMO all W-30s are rare and unique based on total production numbers alone.

Last edited by Stefano; March 17th, 2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old March 17th, 2017, 10:44 AM

And if so the 1032 is all colors so it may be reasonable to think less than half would have been triple black four speed cars IMO. My car was a 72 cutlass triple black special order and a lot of the people asking about buying it were specifically looking for a triple black big block. That helped increase the amount it sold for.
Old March 17th, 2017, 10:46 AM

Gary M those are what he put on the car for rollers to get it over to the guys house. He had center lines on it.
Old March 17th, 2017, 11:01 AM

The shop that sold mine made a video walk around and inside of mine that I still look at occasionally. When it's done hope he does that for himself and show us some pictures of it.
Old March 17th, 2017, 11:02 AM

Stafano: Thanks much for the info you provided and I will get it to him. Yes the trim tags and such are original to the car. To all others thanks as well. I knew you guys could help him out. As I mentioned he bought the car from the used car lot in 72 the way you see it with ss1 rims. It is a triple black W-30 442 with 455 4-speed all options on the car I do not remember at the present time. I know he has the original O 12 bolt out of the car and a Chevy 12 bolt in it to not ruin the original rearend. As we all know the Chevy 12 bolts were plentiful in the 70-80's. Nothing is anymore. Again thanks all I will pass along all info so far and anymore you guys can come up with. The guy redoing the car belongs to 442.com so he is trying to get info as well. Rob
Old March 17th, 2017, 11:07 AM

Gary: He has taken a few pics of the resto as he has gone along and the owner of the car has also. Not alot but enough. When it gets done I was going to give the pics to him as a gift as he has sent them to me as well so more than one person has them stored on a computer. You never know when a computer will crash and you lose the pics. I have them uploaded to photobucket in my account. Rob
Old March 17th, 2017, 05:33 PM
344879M363895

I want to see more pictures of this car. Do you plan on posting a link to your photobucket account? Did he ever search the car for a broadcast card and/or does he have any of the original paperwork? Just curious, not saying it isn't possibly the real deal W-30. Also wondering what the date code is on the cowl tag.

Looks to be in great shape. You are a good friend for helping him out.
Old March 17th, 2017, 06:54 PM

Based on the Vin it's much later than the 007 W-30, if that is what your wondering?
Old March 18th, 2017, 04:57 AM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by Stefano
Based on the Vin it's much later than the 007 W-30, if that is what your wondering?
Was just curious what month it was. Figured the more info out there on these cars, the better.

Yes, you can't get much earlier than the 007. Or much kooler.
Old March 18th, 2017, 10:29 PM

Here is a few more pics I will share and yes this is a true W-30 442 for those that believe it not to be. He got it as I stated before from the used car lot in 1972 just the way it is before sending it to get redone after all these years. They took the car apart and did not find anything above the gas tank under the seats or behind the glove box or anywhere else on the car. Not every car built in this country got them or have we all forgotten about that as some got tossed in the garbage can and not stuck in the cars at all. It was not something they were going to do to make everyone down the road happy to have they were to build the cars with. It was GM for gods sake they did not do what ford did and saved the info or much else as it was not a requirement. I have not asked if he has any paperwork for buying the car from the lot but who would have kept it anyway. I do not have the paperwork for the 72 Chevelle I bought in 76. Here is a couple of pics of the car when we took the engine out.. Perhaps I will post more of it but NO I will not give a link to my Photobucket account. That is my account not his or yours 70442w30. If you all do not like this Rant you sent me on do not ask stupid questions about if it is real or not. Not every car is a fake when bought in 72 from a used car lot and held onto this long. No one had the thought in their mind of screwing others down the road that only happens nowadays. For that matter if you do not want me here go ahead and delete me from your site with all the high and mighty people here my god. Not you Stefano you have asked legit questions along with Gary M.
Old March 19th, 2017, 01:33 AM

I saw a good bumper sticker on a car the other day.
Old March 19th, 2017, 04:04 AM

Nobody is trying to say the car is fake. You have to understand that although you were only asking about production numbers, these threads always lead to desirability and value and documentation of numbers. Looks like an incredible car but unfortunately with no documentation, the value would be severely affected. This is where the fake cars are killing the real one with no documents. Simply to many nice fakes out there for people to trust a real one without documents.

That all being said, it is real important to document all the numbers while doing a restoration on a car like this. Original parts have codes and dates on them that need recorded. All of those numbers and pictures are still a good source to have around.

Great car for sure! Was it original paint? Thanks for the pictures.
Old March 19th, 2017, 06:10 AM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by 70Post
I saw a good bumper sticker on a car the other day.
Please don't keep us in suspense...
Old March 19th, 2017, 06:14 AM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by nitehawk1
Here is a few more pics I will share and yes this is a true W-30 442 for those that believe it not to be. He got it as I stated before from the used car lot in 1972 just the way it is before sending it to get redone after all these years. They took the car apart and did not find anything above the gas tank under the seats or behind the glove box or anywhere else on the car. Not every car built in this country got them or have we all forgotten about that as some got tossed in the garbage can and not stuck in the cars at all. It was not something they were going to do to make everyone down the road happy to have they were to build the cars with. It was GM for gods sake they did not do what ford did and saved the info or much else as it was not a requirement. I have not asked if he has any paperwork for buying the car from the lot but who would have kept it anyway. I do not have the paperwork for the 72 Chevelle I bought in 76. Here is a couple of pics of the car when we took the engine out.. Perhaps I will post more of it but NO I will not give a link to my Photobucket account. That is my account not his or yours 70442w30. If you all do not like this Rant you sent me on do not ask stupid questions about if it is real or not. Not every car is a fake when bought in 72 from a used car lot and held onto this long. No one had the thought in their mind of screwing others down the road that only happens nowadays. For that matter if you do not want me here go ahead and delete me from your site with all the high and mighty people here my god. Not you Stefano you have asked legit questions along with Gary M.
Yep, definitely didn't call the car fake...just wanted to see some additional pictures and was wondering when it was made. Take it easy.
Old March 19th, 2017, 07:51 AM

That is an awesome car. When one pops up like your friends it generates a lot of curiosity and excitement. There's a lot of questions thrown at you. Without the behind my Chevy wheel comment it could have easily been taken as negative ( although you didn't ) when actually was intended as friendly. Hope you stick around because there's a lot of good info here and we can learn a lot from you too. Keep us posted because just like you, we love these Oldsmobiles.
Old March 19th, 2017, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Awesome car, the guys weren't being negative. Like stated above they're just a bit excited to see another previously unknown car come on to the site, so naturally they have a lot of questions.
Old March 20th, 2017, 10:07 PM

Few more with frame done and inside of body painted.
Old March 21st, 2017, 12:45 PM

Awesome

Nice progress. Hope someday mine looks like that.
Old March 21st, 2017, 02:30 PM

Looks like a very solid car to start out with.