Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

what do you olds guys thnk about LS motor swaps??

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2010, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Roughly the time GM began its downhill slide...
Funny cuz the stock market pricing of GM doesn't reflect that
The real downhill slope began in 2000 long after that.
Funny thing is, they're not the only one's hit hard during that time period.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 10:09 AM

The then-GM of Olds brought a "442" concept car to the 2001 OCA Nats in Denver, with a Northstar V8 in it. Oh, well.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
Now this is just MY opinion, based on what I've seen.

IF we're talking about vehicles that are NOT rare here. Then absolutely.
Why?? Because Resto-Mods and Pro-Touring vehicles are a big thing now.
I would never tell someone to swap out a Hurst Olds all original car.
If we're talking a dime a dozen 442 clone wannabe like mine that isn't "Rare" that won't bring in top $$ then yes, it will.

If it's a regular SBC or BBC in place of an Olds motor.....no. That's nothing special.
It's my opinion that the LS motor is the new fad. Right now people will pay more for a resto-mod with a high tech motor, but I think historically we'll look upon them just like all those deuces running SBC's and all those cars that got the TPI swap. When the new trend comes around this swap will be just as dated as a monochrome S10 with a SBC TBI motor.

10 years from now, we'll see if this swap brings more money than a stock motor.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 10:48 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by jaymann
It's my opinion that the LS motor is the new fad. Right now people will pay more for a resto-mod with a high tech motor, but I think historically we'll look upon them just like all those deuces running SBC's and all those cars that got the TPI swap. When the new trend comes around this swap will be just as dated as a monochrome S10 with a SBC TBI motor.

That exact thing was discussed earlier and is the main reason I decided against a LS motor in my 66
Old December 2nd, 2010, 01:20 PM
Oldsdruid

Wasn't talking about financial slide. That was a result of the 1980s downhill slide in quality and product offerings, which is what I was talking about.

You'll also notice their financial peak tracked the rest of the late-90s boom economy and subsequent bust, so I don't think it was so much GM magic as it was too much easy money floating around to begin with, and a lot of margin stock buys.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 02:24 PM

To the OP.
Here's another thread from last year relating to this exact topic
http://www.realoldspower.com/phpBB2/...65a9af478af280

Originally Posted by jaymann

Ewwww......TBI....caca....
That's the motor they supercharged and got a glorious.......295hp out of. LOL Big POS.

Truth is, I guess we'll have to wait and see. If prices of fuel continue to skyrocket up to the
point that this rebirth of muscle cars gets killed, it might be the opposite. I do believe this is
a reality we might face in the future.

There will be people looking for the ultimate efficiency to enjoy their cars.
I know this much, 2008-2009 gas was $5 for premium a gallon. I didn't see many classics out on
the road. We are facing this again with the sinking value of the USD and gas prices creeping
up in the season where they typically SHOULD be going down......but they're not.

In the end, I know my Olds isn't worth a whole lot (under $20,000) so that's where I'm at.
If you google "Oldsmobile LS1 for sale" you'll find 0 results. So they're rare and no
one is selling them. In the end, whatever keeps the Oldsmobiles on the road I say. But
me personally, I'd never put a SBC in an Olds unless I had to. I'm a Chevy guy too and I
won't even tell people to put a SBC in a Chevy , or a boat anchor pig block on the front.

For the record, this is currently my targeted purchase for my 1970.
480hp 376ci 6.2L LS3 for $6450 from a dealer someone found.
Plus I'm adding SS Edelbrock headers for more power
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/LS37...9-P2218C2.aspx
The regular LS3 is rated for 16mpg city and 24mpg highway, so I'm going to get maybe 13-14mpg city.
But my Highway mileage will be better with the T-56 behind it and that .50 final gear.

Last edited by Aceshigh; December 2nd, 2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 11:42 PM

Putting in a new engine i can live with.
But this plasticcovered strange looking engine does'nt look right in a 40 + year old car.

" If " i go that way, i would put some carbs on it like a deuce and dress it oldschool.

I would never buy a car like that or it hase to be a strip/ race car.

Or put in some oldschool pipe injection, a blower with scoop, a deuce setup.
All of those look far more right than those plastic covers and the front air intake.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 12:02 AM

Second, why change the engine and not trying a alternate feul?

Regular gas is about 1,50 euro a 0,26 gallon, lpg is about 0,70 euro a 0,26 gallon.

lpg having a higher octane 102, more power.
Cotst to install less than 2000 euro.

Old engines are running greater on it than newer engines.
It is " GREEN " talking about the enviroment

Savings!!!! 50% at each time

Older engine's will run on lpg or such, alcohol, hydrogen, etc.

So why putting in some bateries or drop a " modern" engine in it.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 12:12 AM

pitty that it is a chebby but look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-C8aF0JGE4

So so so so long ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMEFP...eature=related

Last edited by D Appeldorn; December 3rd, 2010 at 12:21 AM.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 03:01 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by D Appeldorn
Second, why change the engine and not trying a alternate feul?
LPG conversions are essentially unavailable over here.

There are some city buses that run on natural gas, and lots of forklifts are factory-made to run on propane because they run indoors, but that's about it.
There's no such thing as cars running around with bottles of gas in the trunk the way you do it in Europe, and if there were, there's no place to refuel them.

- Eric
Old December 3rd, 2010, 10:33 AM

can you cook on gas? like natural gas?

if so, you could make it so that you can fill it up at home.

and put a 16 gallon tank in the trunk.

We can buy lpg at the station, but there is natural gas on it's way.

Germany sells natural gas for cars, i have to vind out where the difference is and how i can fill my tank again from my home conection

Becouse it needs to be pressurised

personly i hope that i could be able to fill it up with hydrogen in the futere.

No one could ever say again that a 455 BB pollutes the enviroment
No poluting taxes
Old December 3rd, 2010, 10:42 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

can you cook on gas? like natural gas?
Sure. But out in the country, it's only electric or bottled gas.

if so, you could make it so that you can fill it up at home.

- Eric
Old December 4th, 2010, 05:29 AM

My 68 cutlass has a Buick 2004R, a Pontiac 10 bolt posi, a B&M Shifter, a Lokar trans dip stick, a Holley carb, an Edelbrock air cleaner, a Petronox ignition module, Firestone radials, CPP front disk brakes, and I'm sure plenty of Chineesium in replacement parts.
Does this mean I shouldn't log onto this board anymore because my Oldsmobile is not "all" Oldsmobile?
If it does, very few car owners will remain.
Old December 4th, 2010, 05:39 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by 68conv455
My 68 cutlass has a Buick 2004R, a Pontiac 10 bolt posi, a B&M Shifter, a Lokar trans dip stick, a Holley carb, an Edelbrock air cleaner, a Petronox ignition module, Firestone radials, CPP front disk brakes, and I'm sure plenty of Chineesium in replacement parts.
Does this mean I shouldn't log onto this board anymore because my Oldsmobile is not "all" Oldsmobile?
What forum is this thread in?
Old December 4th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Oldsdruid

It's the engine. Pure and simple. Aftermarket parts and parts like rear end, steering/brakes, A/C and transmissions that were shared by all GM Divisions are no big deal. The engine is a big deal for a pre-corporate engine GM car.

And some people still cannot understand that for a lot of us, stuffing a Chevrolet engine in a non-Chevrolet car is an insult. A highly calculated insult.
Old December 4th, 2010, 07:39 AM

Please take note... there is a forum created for Non-Olds discussions. This thread has been moved to that forum. This forum was created as a place for people to discuss non-olds engine swaps. For those who would not make the swap, and feel it's not a good thing to do, they can avoid this forum. The moderators have discussed the growing problem with fights between members over these kinds of swaps. This "new forum" is an effort to provide for as many enthusiasts as possible. If you have any questions about this please contact myself or one of the other moderators.
Old December 4th, 2010, 08:00 AM
STOP call'n it a Chevelle

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Please take note... there is a forum created for Non-Olds discussions. This thread has been moved to that forum. This forum was created as a place for people to discuss non-olds engine swaps. For those who would not make the swap, and feel it's not a good thing to do, they can avoid this forum. The moderators have discussed the growing problem with fights between members over these kinds of swaps. This "new forum" is an effort to provide for as many enthusiasts as possible. If you have any questions about this please contact myself or one of the other moderators.
As a Olds Powered Olds guy who is tolerent to others choices I thank you. Please, let's all get a long nicely.

Adam
Old December 4th, 2010, 09:15 AM
car guy

As said above this thread has been moved to the new section. If this thread is to continue it needs to go by the new rules. If the bashing continues we will lock the thread.
Old December 4th, 2010, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Please take note... there is a forum created for Non-Olds discussions. This thread has been moved to that forum. This forum was created as a place for people to discuss non-olds engine swaps.
Good move on the new section, but I think the title of "non-Olds" is going to complicate things for you guys with more policing.
90% of the upgrades people do to their cars with aftermarket parts are "Non-Olds".
Brake upgrades, suspension, rear ends, etc......and I don't foresee all those being moved here.

It would make more sense to put a "Non-Olds modern retrofit" section in the engine section.
Putting this at the bottom of the barrel under a general confusing title won't do well IMO.

Just food for thought.

Last edited by Aceshigh; December 4th, 2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old December 4th, 2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
Good move on the new section, but I think the title of "non-Olds" is going to complicate things for you guys with more policing.
90% of the upgrades people do to their cars with aftermarket parts are "Non-Olds".
Brake upgrades, suspension, rear ends, etc......and I don't foresee all those being moved here.

It would make more sense to put a "Non-Olds modern retrofit" section in the engine section.
Putting this at the bottom of the barrel under a general confusing title won't do well IMO.

Just food for thought.

This is why

rocketraider Quote:

It's the engine. Pure and simple. Aftermarket parts and parts like rear end, steering/brakes, A/C and transmissions that were shared by all GM Divisions are no big deal. The engine is a big deal for a pre-corporate engine GM car.

And some people still cannot understand that for a lot of us, stuffing a Chevrolet engine in a non-Chevrolet car is an insult. A highly calculated insult.
Old December 4th, 2010, 10:47 AM
car guy

As said above its the engine swap that bothers a lot of people.

That being said we are done with this thread. If someone wants to start a new one that is fine but it needs to stay on track.