Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

what do you olds guys thnk about LS motor swaps??

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2010, 12:09 AM

what do you olds guys thnk about LS motor swaps??

hi, im gettn ready 2 rebuild my motor and 2 of my friends are tring 2 convince me 2 put a ls2 or ls7 with trans in my cutlass sx, it would cost around the same as a 455 built right and rebuilt trans, they said just keep my original motor just incase i sell it later on, what do you guys think about LS motor swaps
Old November 30th, 2010, 01:49 AM
Registered

You are kidding...aren't you?

If not...you call those 2 friends?

Do what you want, it's your car, that is unless it's some rare rolling piece of automotive history, then it would be like putting vinyl siding on the Washington Monument.
Old November 30th, 2010, 03:54 AM
Oldsdruid

Been hiding under a rock?

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ing-trend.html

Get your friends to help. But something tells me they're the kind of friends who will talk you into doing something and then won't stick around to finish the job.

Last edited by rocketraider; November 30th, 2010 at 05:54 AM.
Old November 30th, 2010, 04:57 AM
InfoJunkie

It's a lot more work and cost than they think it is. There are lots of people who do it. What ever you do to your car no matter how rare it is, as long as the vin tag is still there it can be restored. Your never going to please everyone with your build so build it to please yourself.
Old November 30th, 2010, 05:18 AM

I would definately consider swapping in a engine from a LS, preferably a 98 LS from 1968-70. CW
Old November 30th, 2010, 05:21 AM
InfoJunkie

preferably a 98 ls from 1968-70
lol
Old November 30th, 2010, 05:34 AM
car guy

You are not going to get a lot of help here on your swap. There are plenty of sites on the net than will tell you eveything you want to know. I like well done swap and Olds powered both but many on here will not agree. Don't worry about what we think and don't worry about what you buddies think. Do what you think is best for what you want (unless you want bigger than 20" wheels)

Originally Posted by coldwar
I would definately consider swapping in a engine from a LS, preferably a 98 LS from 1968-70. CW
HAHAHA
Old November 30th, 2010, 05:52 AM

I'm doing an LS swap now in a 72 cutlass. Mine was a non-numbers matching car without a motor. I would suggest keeping the 455 unless it's non-numbers matching and the car has been modified. You'll end up changing more than a few things that that are not easily reversed.
Old November 30th, 2010, 06:14 AM

Why does this keep comoing up. I really think we need to put a stop to this. On Oldspower they delete any thread started like this. This is classicoldsmobile. I wanna come here and talk Olds, look at Olds, and learn Olds. Im sick of this LS crap.
Old November 30th, 2010, 06:37 AM
NôôB

i am not going to lie if i had a shell of a lets say 72 cutlass i would take the motor and trans out of my caprice and put it right in. but my reasons are my own lol. but if it has a motor and a trans in it that works why mess with it. Which brings up one of my new favorite demotivational posters:
LS1.jpg&t=1
Old November 30th, 2010, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by sx455raidercelticfan
hi, im gettn ready 2 rebuild my motor and 2 of my friends are tring 2 convince me 2 put a ls2 or ls7 with trans in my cutlass sx,
LMFAO......
Wise friends. You can either stick to the purist mentality, or become a modern power enthusiast.
I'd suggest going and driving a C6 Z06 if you are debating an LS7.
Buddy of mine had a drag car 1979 Z28 and he said the Z06 shocked the crap out of him.
It's just THAT powerful.

The LS engine is a NASCAR 14 degree head motor designed by Buick in 1988.
It's power curve is going to light up just about anything else out there in stock trim.
Every open minded enthusiast I've ever met that's driven one has completely changed their mind.
Guys are selling their Big Block projects and converting to LS left and right.
http://www.pro-touring.com/forum.php
http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/
People say "Well they're in EVERYTHING...." that's because it's just THAT GOOD of a motor.
Everyone wants one.

I've already purchased parts for my 2nd swap.
Here's a 2004 400hp LS1 in my 1978 z28. This will beat the crap out of my Olds.

Originally Posted by f-85
Why does this keep comoing up.
Because it's gaining popularity faster and faster every year.
If it's not something you don't approve of, then it's easy to avoid those threads that cater to those that do.

99% of the aftermarket parts out there INSIDE of an engine and all on peoples Oldsmobiles
were NOT produced by Oldsmobile. So your definition of "Classic Oldsmobile" would really only
apply to untouched OEM completely stock vehicles if you want to get technical.

Changed your cam and springs?? Oh well.......can't be a member anymore.
Ban everyone now that had a chevy powered Oldsmobile as well.
Originally Posted by gearheads78
I like well done swap and Olds powered both but many on here will not agree. Don't worry about what we think and don't worry about what you buddies think. Do what you think is best for what you want (unless you want bigger than 20" wheels)
Agreed, that's where I fit in as well.
I'm all about helping people if I have the knowledge, so I wouldn't say they won't get help.
Most classic sites have created an LSX section to attract the members who are attracted to it.
Depends on how the site owner wants to embrace it for promoting their site, or admonish it.

Last edited by Aceshigh; November 30th, 2010 at 07:06 AM.
Old November 30th, 2010, 07:01 AM

Go to some hotrod forum. It doesnt belong here. There are plenty of old car websites, or chevy sites you can talk about your LS motors. Most people here dont want it.

You keep talking about these swaps you did. But really YOU didnt do them. You cant even pull a motor, how the hell you gonna do a ls swap?????
Old November 30th, 2010, 07:11 AM

Here you go ACE https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ng-engine.html

Now tell us again about all the stuff you have done again!
Old November 30th, 2010, 07:19 AM

You keep talking about these swaps you did. But really YOU didnt do them. You cant even pull a motor, how the hell you gonna do a ls swap?????
Waaah Waaah Waaah.....
Hater.

Putting it 100% in myself or contracting parts of it out , either way I own the cars in my signature.

Last edited by Aceshigh; November 30th, 2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old November 30th, 2010, 07:23 AM

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!
I was thinking the same thing!!!!! Lol!!!
When I first saw that thread I was shocked because my 14 year old can almost pull 1!!!!
It's just that easy!!!

But don't forget, we all had to bust that first nut or knuckle!!!! Lmao!!!!!
Old November 30th, 2010, 07:26 AM

There's a thing called a time limit and limited space.

I'm the HOA President of my community and I can't have my car in pieces in
my driveway when the rules prohibit it. If I had help to do it in a day, it
makes things alot easier. I don't have time to "learn as I go"

LSX swap doesn't happen in 1 day either.
I have more money then space and time.
You can hate on that if you like.

Last edited by Aceshigh; November 30th, 2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old November 30th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Old November 30th, 2010, 08:21 AM

I appeciate your assistance offer Jason.
That weekend fell apart for me due our ins claim fiasco from storms in the community.
Camaro in garage for winter. Maybe in Spring if ur still available.
No room for the motor now.
Old November 30th, 2010, 08:27 AM

I think he was just teasing you!!!! (I was)
But I think we all learn as we go, no matter how much we know!!!!(I sure do)

Last edited by Wyze; November 30th, 2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old November 30th, 2010, 08:39 AM

I would be hating life if I lived in a "community" where I couldn't have parts cars in the yard, and work on my Olds for days. No, I don't live in the ghetto, just where people actually do things instead of watching TV and criticizing each others golf, tennis, etc. scores.

Since I am a fan of 1966 Olds, can we look at that "classic" era for a moment? Chevy and Pontiac did all they could to cr@% on Olds. That is why the 66 W30 program was kept secret. While they slid performance stuff like the L88 and Ram Air 4 out the back door, they killed Olds W43 hemi engine program. So, Chevy was the hated stepsister at Olds. Even using a 12 bolt Chevy rear is repugnant. Using a Chevy engine is sacrilege.
Old November 30th, 2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
I would be hating life if I lived in a "community" where I couldn't have parts cars in the yard, and work on my Olds for days. No, I don't live in the ghetto, just where people actually do things instead of watching TV and criticizing each others golf, tennis, etc. scores.
It sucks.
Let me assure you. I can't even put a car cover on my cars.
To change the Dec's and By Laws costs about $5000 according to our attorney too.
Last 2009 Fall through 2010 Spring I rewired my Camaro front to back with a new harness.
That wasn't too bad though because the car wasn't in pieces.
I was worried about people complaining when I swapped my rear end and brakes though on my Olds.

Been here since 2004 when I bought the place, but can't 'move because my wife isn't working now.
I can't wait to move. 1 car goes in the garage, the other goes to a storage unit for the winter.
Both my Hayabusa and Harley are stored at my work all winter. Camper is at a hubsite.
I have more crap at other peoples homes then I do at my own.

Last edited by Aceshigh; November 30th, 2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old November 30th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Official Tire Kicker

First of all I don't want to cause any hate here, but... when you start throwing out there that you have more money than time, that kind of ticks me off. BIG DEAL if you have money. As far as the HOA, I did a frame off in my drive way in Navy housing and didn't get pinged for it. HOA's suck, look at how many stories you see about some HOA trying to keep some one from flying the American flag in America. I rebuilt my car on a strict budget and didn't have the money to go "top end" on it, but guess what, I did it (and did everything myself that I could except for body and paint) and it is on the road. Nuff said.
Old November 30th, 2010, 08:45 AM

For a similar "rant" I would rather learn about my Olds engine and how to make it perform. Even if I could go faster with the easy ways out like a modern Chevy engine, or drugs (nitrous), I won't do them because I wouldn't learn what I want to know. I'd be embarrassed to resort to such stuff to run times like Sam Murray does in NHRA stock with Olds 350 and 400 engines, all iron--heads, intake, etc. He runs 11.37 with his 1972 low compression 350 and 10.80s with his 400. I'm going to keep learning and see what I can get "the hard way" with Olds stuff. No aftermarket carb, heads. intake, drugs, etc. for me.

It's your car, do what you want. I'm not criticizing, just explaining why I do what I do.
Old November 30th, 2010, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Willidog
when you start throwing out there that you have more money than time, that kind of ticks me off. BIG DEAL if you have money.
Like wise when someone tries to dog someone else for not doing a custom engine install themselves is that less offensive??
Big deal if I paid someone because it was custom and I can't do it in my driveway........see my point ??

Hence why I posted that in retort.
People are far too judgmental without knowing every persons circumstances.
Originally Posted by Willidog
I did a frame off in my drive way in Navy housing and didn't get pinged for it.
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2185058

Not the same as it used to be with military housing. Run by civilians now and they don't allow it.
Now they have Auto Hobby shops you have to utilize. It's a great asset to have,
but we both know we're all pretty broke when we're young and in the military.

Last edited by Aceshigh; November 30th, 2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old November 30th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Official Tire Kicker

You are right about it being run by the civilians, but as far as the hobby shop goes, I used it once in 24 years and only because they had a lift. It's hard to get anything don on your car when you work until 4 or 5 and they close the hobby shop at 6 or 7. I had my donor car (original Cutlass) setting on jack stands with tires making it look like it was on wheels while I removed things that I needed and I took a chance and had my "new" body setting on cinder blocks for a few days in my drive way while I got the rolling frame ready.
Old November 30th, 2010, 09:11 AM

You stayed in Japan after you got out ??

I've been to Yokosuka more then a few times, and the Shirabuya district, never made it to Roppungi though. Good times. I was Navy as well. I did use the hobby shops mostly on the weekends because of the hours. The NTC Great Lakes hobby shop here outside of Chicago is huuuuuuuge. 12 bays and 8 lifts IIRC. But too far for me to use anymore. It's like an hour drive to get there from my house.

Last edited by Aceshigh; November 30th, 2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old November 30th, 2010, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
Waaah Waaah Waaah.....
Hater.

Putting it 100% in myself or contracting parts of it out , either way I own the cars in my signature.

Well you seem to act like you know it all. But the problem is you cant back it up. Just because you can pay someone else to put an LS motor in your car, doesnt make you a pro at LS swaps. Next time someone needs to know where to take their car for work we know who to ask. Do us all a favor Read more, Type less.
Old November 30th, 2010, 09:58 AM

Back to the OP.

It's easy for people to give advice or opinions when its not their car. You have to decide what is right for your self. Do the research and see what is involved in doing this swap. Its not as easy as just bolting in a engine.
Old November 30th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Official Tire Kicker

Actually retired in San Diego and moved to Japan after.
Old November 30th, 2010, 10:06 AM

To answer the original postes question , .Go to a LS board cause they are going to love it.

Not so much here.
Old November 30th, 2010, 10:38 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
Rund just for you I am going to build my next Olds with and LS motor and Nitrous JK

Don't get me started on HOA and cities that tell you what you can and can't do on your own property. When I lived in town I was contantly harrased for doing what I love. Not so much from neighbors but from the city. I put up with it for years and finally got to a boiling point and moved. Now I have the smallest house at on the block at 1500 SF but no restrictions or city to bother me. Soon I will have the biggest shop on the block at 2100 SF. For some reason my wife thinks my priorities are messed up.
Old November 30th, 2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
Like wise when someone tries to dog someone else for not doing a custom engine install themselves is that less offensive??
.....see my point ?? .

Like wise when someone tries to clown people for having rims bigger than 18"!!!!!

What's the difference???????
Old November 30th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Texas Jim

Why does this keep comoing up. I really think we need to put a stop to this. On Oldspower they delete any thread started like this. This is classicoldsmobile. I wanna come here and talk Olds, look at Olds, and learn Olds. Im sick of this LS crap.

Don't get so negative w/ these guys who are doing swaps w/ different brands. Let's look at the "Positive:" Obviously, this guy likes the body style of the Olds, as the old Olds bodies are very different, even odd looking as time goes on, which is cool in these days w/ all the small rides looking like they are related. There is something about the Olds that this guys likes. That's a GOOD thing. The LS is a desirable thing to install now days in anything,the LS being put into the older 'Vettes, something that the "original numbers/matching numbers guys HATE. It's just a high tech thing going into an old body, more like a hot rod thing and less like a restoration thing. I take it as a complement, as it takes the old Olds and updates it w/ the high tech innerds. Let's face it, the new generation looks at the '70s rides as "old." ie; I pulled into "Advanced Auto" w/ my '81 'Vette. A young GI, about 20 years old or so, was standing outside of his new Mitsubishi that had wheels and some extra stuff on it, and immediately said to me, in a loud voice, and as a compliment, and I didn't know what to say at first, "Ohhh Man! that's OldSchool, Man!!!" He was young enough where he thought that an '81 was an "Old School" ride. LOL! So you can see that these young kids who ae doing swaps w/ drive tranes are looking at these '70s models Olds rides as old time hot rod style cars, and not like you and I see them, when they were new and first out of the factory and we drove them on the streets we grew up on.

A kid is 25 years old. He was born in '85. This Olds is a '71 f/ example, meaning it was MFGd. 14 years before he was born. I was born in '57. A car MFGd. 14 years before I was born was a '43 model. I look at that as a ride I could mnake a hot rod out of and get NO flack from anyone f/ any reason. See what I mean? We're just getting old, and time and age is a bitch.
Old November 30th, 2010, 11:22 AM

Good post!!!!!!!
Old November 30th, 2010, 01:00 PM
NôôB

ls1tech.com will be great for info on that, and people quit hating on others so much, what happened to the postings rules about no politics talking, i know this isnt gov't politics but none the less still politics IMHO. If the man wants to do an LSX swap in there cars then help them out and not flip ape **** over what they wanna do with there own stuff. if you want them to be olds then offer to buy the cars and keep them that way yourself.

On a Side note maybe with all these people coming on here asking maybe we should make a thread/post for people who want to know and keep it monitored for "haters" and delete negative posts. I know ALOT of you guys are old school and purists with your cars but come on engine swaps have been happening forever. look at peoples posts about there chevy with a olds engine or there ford with one etc.

OK i am done with my rant and tossing in my 2 cents worth.
Old November 30th, 2010, 01:01 PM
NôôB

@Acehigh and willidog: what branch did you /are you part of? Air force here
Old November 30th, 2010, 01:05 PM
NôôB

Originally Posted by Texas Jim
A kid is 25 years old. He was born in '85. This Olds is a '71 f/ example, meaning it was MFGd. 14 years before he was born. I was born in '57. A car MFGd. 14 years before I was born was a '43 model. I look at that as a ride I could mnake a hot rod out of and get NO flack from anyone f/ any reason. See what I mean? We're just getting old, and time and age is a bitch.

LOL yeah thats me to a T (except i was born in 83) right there, my car was made 15 years before i was born. which also means by the time i could even drive Carbs were a thing of the past...
Old November 30th, 2010, 01:14 PM

I'm an LS enthusiast, not once did I claim to be the best engine swapper in the world.
I have no more time for the negative Nancy drama.

Originally Posted by sicky olds
ls1tech.com will be great for info on that, and people quit hating on others so much, what happened to the postings rules about no politics talking, i know this isnt gov't politics but none the less still politics IMHO. If the man wants to do an LSX swap in there cars then help them out and not flip ape **** over what they wanna do with there own stuff. if you want them to be olds then offer to buy the cars and keep them that way yourself.
There's some quality people who share that mentality, then there's the people who
want to just be negative Nancy's and pick fights. It's going to be anywhere you go.
Best thing to do is ignore the drama and move along, they're meaningless in the big picture.

Most forums have an ignore feature to completely blank out their posts.
BTW I was Navy Crypto.

Last edited by Aceshigh; November 30th, 2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old November 30th, 2010, 01:45 PM
NôôB

yeah i do love the auto hobby shop here at Lackland AFB, they are helpful as well as pretty freaking cheap to rent tools lol
Old November 30th, 2010, 01:50 PM
NôôB

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conver...s-cutlass.html

here is a thread i found and looked at a couple pages on and seems pretty good for info but not too sure

Hope it helps

Quick Reply: what do you olds guys thnk about LS motor swaps??