1962 Oldsmobile 98 Chrome Removal

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2017, 11:48 PM

1962 Oldsmobile 98 Chrome Removal

Hello I am looking for any help that I can get. I am wondering how I remove my chrome exterior moldings and lettering off my 1962 Oldsmobile 98 so that it can be painted. Thanks for help.
Old May 17th, 2017, 02:04 PM

The lettering is attached via "thread cutting nuts," accessible from the under/back side.

This holds true for the hood trim/spear, hood letters, the fender scripts, the trunk emblem and the tail panel trim piece.

As for the rest, that may require a bit of investigation on your part.
Old May 30th, 2017, 10:27 AM

Not sure if you have been successful with the removal of the trim on the fender ( without A/C ) I removed the stainless on my Dynamic there are 10 fasteners that needs to be removed number 1 front of the car so number 8 and 9 are real tough I removed the hood hinge on the driver side then removed the vacuum tank and I was able to get 8 and 9. On the other side I remove the hinge then remove the fan motor you can now get 8 and 9 again really tough of the 20 fasteners 10 were junk and I had to replace all 20. doing what It did it allow me to oil the fan motor and it a made a difference . I did not take it apart the fan motor I was able to lube the side where the blade mounts . On the other side of the car I was able to inspect the vacuum tank and clean and pressure test . Yes you have a different car but on the ninety eight you have ten fasteners on each side. I will show pictures and if you have A/C I don't know . There are other ways to get the job done if you are going to get the car painted I would take off the hood,fenders and so on. but it your car you need to do what works for you. If you need any other help let me know. Also when you remove the scrip hold them with your hand as you remove the nut the The torque can break the script just be carful. when you get to the door I removed the panel and you can see what you have on my Dynamic it was a plastic snap not sure what you have
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0073.JPG (1.10 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0074.JPG (1.12 MB, 10 views)