New Olds Owner - 1959 98 Holiday Coupe

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2007, 08:20 PM
1959 98 Holiday Coupe

Smile New Olds Owner - 1959 98 Holiday Coupe

I grew up with Olds, it literally was "my father's Olds", lol. I've always had his love of them, but never had one of my own - until now. I recently purchased a running '59 Olds 98 Hardtop Holiday Coupe in decent shape for $1500.

"Decent" shape still means a lot of work so I am hoping to make some connections here. Does anyone here own a '59 that is willing to share knowledge and tips??

Thanks,
~Danno
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:08 AM
Past Administrator

Danno,

Welcome to our site. I don't own one but wanted to say hi, hope you enjoy our forum.
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:55 AM

I own a 59 98 convert....its still in pieces but have all parts to restore.....let me know what you need to know.
Old June 1st, 2007, 12:54 PM

Don't have a '59, but I do have a '60. They're the same car under the skin...all the mechanical parts are the same, and a few of the interior parts interchange. Finding parts for these can be a challenge...for some reason these two years are kind of the forgotten stepchild of the restoration world. The aftermarket support for them is a lot less than for earlier and later years . Very cool cars though. If you want to see what one looked like when it was new, check this out.

http://www.kingoftheroad.net/59olds/index.html

6800 original miles . Really an amazing find. There's some good info on that site if you look around.

Welcome aboard!
Old June 5th, 2007, 06:43 PM
1959 98 Holiday Coupe

Thanks, Oldsguy.

Oldsmaniac, just looking to network with other '59 owners, so no specific questions yet. Well, one now; how long have you been working on yours?

Hi Toolbox, I did see that link and, like you, found it full of great info. Unbelievable car, eh? Unfortunately, I would be afraid to drive it. I want one I can drive anytime I want.

I decided to give her a name today. Probably a corny thing, lol, but I felt compelled. Here's a photo of "Angelina".

Thanks!
~Danno
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1959_Olds_98_c.jpg (8.7 KB, 280 views)
Old June 6th, 2007, 06:37 AM

I bought my 59 which was a basket case about 10 years ago.....I jumped right in and started. I bought a parts car and replaced one quarter panel. I welded in new floors and the trunk floor from the parts car. I had the seats recovered, bumpers rechromed and rounded up all the parts and wetherstrips I would need. The engine had some problems and finally got it running but there is a major oil leak. I believe the cam plug in the back of the engine is leaking or something similar. I need to pull either the engine or the trans to see. Suddenly the project went stale and I found a 66 Sfire that I restored and am enjoying. So my 59 waits still......someday soon I hope to resume the project.
Old June 6th, 2007, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
I bought my 59 which was a basket case about 10 years ago.....I jumped right in and started. I bought a parts car and replaced one quarter panel. I welded in new floors and the trunk floor from the parts car. I had the seats recovered, bumpers rechromed and rounded up all the parts and wetherstrips I would need. The engine had some problems and finally got it running but there is a major oil leak. I believe the cam plug in the back of the engine is leaking or something similar. I need to pull either the engine or the trans to see. Suddenly the project went stale and I found a 66 Sfire that I restored and am enjoying. So my 59 waits still......someday soon I hope to resume the project.
Your leak could also be the rear main...they have that *#%%^$ rope seal in them (that I hate) . I've replaced mine twice--once at rebuild time, once and once with the engine in the car. It still drips a little when it's running . If anyone makes a neoprene replacement I'd love to hear about it.
Old June 6th, 2007, 03:06 PM

I did put a new rope seal in while the engine was in the car....What BS with the sneaky pete tool....anyway the oil GUSHES out...I know its not the seal as it made no difference in the leak......a 2 piece seal is available (non rope)....not sure of the source right now....
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Past Administrator

I have heard of this problem also. My son's '64 98 has a 394 with the same situation. He used a neoprene seal when he rebuilt the engine, I think it is a Ford part number. I will have to ask him about it. Yeah, that sneaky pete tool must require some extra finesse or something......
Old June 7th, 2007, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
........ I think it is a Ford part number .........
Fusick has them. $20 for rope, $40 for neoprene.

I've never had a problem with rope seals. Secret is in the position of ones tongue during the install.

Norm
Old July 2nd, 2007, 03:31 PM

Hi, I own also a 59Olds98 Holiday Coupe and I have been collecting tons of informations from web. I have some manuals, too. Please call anytime. Most of the time I have the weekends to reply emails.
Old August 31st, 2007, 07:21 AM

Question New member & fellow Olds owner

Hello all,

I'm thrilled to be apart of this forum and the great conversations that go on within. I am the furthest thing from a motorhead but bought a 59 Olds 98 almost 5yrs ago and have not been able to find anyone, or anyone that i feel confortable with doing the restoration for me. I don't know cars, so I am looking for all the information and help that you all can give. I am on military assignment in Portugal and the car is in Jackson, MS with my father who has agreed to see through the restoration process. If anyone is nearby and/or has information on where I should start with my restoration, I would be MORE than grateful for your input.

P.S. I'll try and remember to send pics with next post.

luvMY59
Old August 31st, 2007, 10:01 AM

The 59 98 is a BEAUTIFUL car! I think it is probably the nicest car Oldsmobile made. Definitely keep ahold of that car, and welcome to the site. Good luck!
Old November 1st, 2007, 11:10 PM

Hello Oldsmaniac,

I just registered. Was scanning through the threads and caught your msg about your 59 98 conv. I haven't figured out the website navigation just yet but I'm sure I will soon enough. I too have a 59 98 conv which sounds in simular condition to yours? I"ve been collecting parts for the last 9 months after purchasing the car over a year ago. It needs a total restoration, but is very complete and has limited rust. I just don't see these cars anywhere, so I'm intrigued when I hear of one. I'm looking for some small things that maybe will pop up on this forum now and then. My short list for now is: A jack, pass rocker moulding, pass front wheel moulding, both rear wheel mouldings, ninety eight scripts, autronic eye switch and matching dsah bezel, and an air cleaner or lid for same. Also looking for 4 orig rims, and fender skirts. Ok, sounds like more than a few pieces.
Old November 15th, 2007, 07:19 PM

Parts are pretty scarce for the 98.....the hardest parts to find are the rocker moldings and rear wheelwell moldings. I had the seats all redone in leather as per original. I had the bumpers rechromed and found parts at Carlisle, Hershey, Hemmings and of course Ebay.....Keep searching Ebay as people part cars and sometimes dont list parts like jacks etc. E-mail the seller and see what they have. The best deals are when the seller doesnt know what the part fits and lists it improperly.....my best find on Ebay were a pair of rear side window lower frames that were nos.....these are pot metal and commonly are cracked or broken. Steel repro ones are available for around 400 each....I got these for 15 bucks each! My car was originally solid color burgandy mist.....I must get back into it soon!!...Good Luck with yours!
Old November 16th, 2007, 07:26 AM
1959 98 Holiday Coupe

Hello again. Sorry for the long absence. I was involved in a car accident at the end of July that caused me a permanent back injury. (Damn teenager ran into me with his Mustang!)

Anyway, I'm doing much better, hopefully good enough to start working on both my '59 and my car site. I've been accumulating some parts from eBay. A really great woman in OK was parting out a 4 dr and from her I got;
*all the rear trim chrome, including the trunk handle and trim,
*the chrome hood trim, and
*the grille

All the chrome and aluminum was bright and shiny with NO rust. Probably spent about $400 on that (the grille was $200, but it looks like an NOS).

I just won the rear spears and the climate controls in recent auctions. Oldsmaniac is right, eBay is probably the best source for now.

My two biggest concerns right now is the trunk pan and replating the bumpers. The trunk pan is a total loss and one of the previous owners did a slap-patch job with stock sheet and bar metal, filled in the gaps with expanding foam and then coated the whole mess with roofing tar. I'm thinking that the best replacement pan would be a Caddy, but I have had trouble finding a source.

Replating the bumpers is probably going to cost more money than my accountant (read: "wife") will allow me. Some advice here would be appreciated. How long will it take? Will I have to send the parts far away and wait more than a year for their return? Is powder coating a decent alternative?

Thanks for everyone's input so far,
~Danno
Old August 22nd, 2010, 10:14 AM
1959 98 Holiday Coupe

Unfortunately, this is now up for sale:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...cenicoupe.html
Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:04 AM

Bummer it is for sale!

I hope you find a good home for her.
Old February 16th, 2018, 05:55 PM

I've been around cars and especially Oldsmobile's most of my life,and never heard of Starlight Headliners. So I started googling and found some info at starlighthq.com. They have many pictures and FAQ's on their sight,where they have recreated the effect with fiber optic kits that they apparrently sell. I was very impressed,hope you will enjoy it also. Enjoy, Larry
Old February 17th, 2018, 08:08 AM

Larry, still good info but did you notice that this post is 10+ years old?.... Tedd
Old February 17th, 2018, 09:24 AM

No,Tedd,I am Sorry,I just don't expect a post to be that old. .I've put in treated fence Post and most of them won't last that long. Thanks, Larry
Old February 17th, 2018, 12:28 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
No,Tedd,I am Sorry,I just don't expect a post to be that old. .I've put in treated fence Post and most of them won't last that long. Thanks, Larry
Now you'll have to admit it, that's funny!!
Old February 17th, 2018, 05:44 PM

The only reason I noticed it was because of the post by 88 coupe, that gent has passed about 10 years ago. RIP Norm.. You were a character to remember... Tedd