1959 olds 98 body tag decode

Search this Thread

Old September 15th, 2016, 08:08 PM

1959 olds 98 body tag decode

Hi I am wondering if anyone can help me decode the body/cowl tag of my 1959 Oldsmobile 98. Thanks.

Style 59 3819
Body LA 7840
Trim 71
Paint N-N-C
Old September 17th, 2016, 07:59 PM
Phantom Phixer

Here goes;
Style 59 3819 = 1959 "98" four door sedan
Body LA 7840 = 7840th body of that style made at Lansing, MI
Trim 71 = Medium gray cloth interior with medium gray pattern cloth inserts.
upper dash medium gray vinyl , lower dash painted light gray
Paint N-N-C = Upper and lower body , Burgundy mist metallic . Wheels , (or accent stripe) Polaris white.

Welcome to Classic Olds , Why don't you post some pics of it in the "newbie" forum ?

Last edited by Charlie Jones; September 17th, 2016 at 08:16 PM. Reason: add greeting
Old December 4th, 2016, 12:58 PM

1959 Olds 98 Cowl tage decoder

Thanks to Charlie Jones for also helping me with my 59 OLDS 98. Can you tel me what a Paint of C-C-C would be. The Car is all White with red top of the fender going back to the trunk.
ACC = N-U4
Thanks for any additional help.
Old December 5th, 2016, 11:45 AM

Triple Cs would be an all white car with white wheels (or painted wheel discs). If its got red on it, somebody painted it. N is the code for air conditioning. I think U4 is for power windows.
Old December 5th, 2016, 12:30 PM

Thanks so much for your help

It has a/c power windows, power seat, power ant, autotronic eye, and red top of fenders. Probably repainted at some point.
Old November 5th, 2017, 10:55 AM

59 Dynamic 88 cowl tag

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Here goes;
Style 59 3819 = 1959 "98" four door sedan
Body LA 7840 = 7840th body of that style made at Lansing, MI
Trim 71 = Medium gray cloth interior with medium gray pattern cloth inserts.
upper dash medium gray vinyl , lower dash painted light gray
Paint N-N-C = Upper and lower body , Burgundy mist metallic . Wheels , (or accent stripe) Polaris white.

Welcome to Classic Olds , Why don't you post some pics of it in the "newbie" forum ?

Hello Charlie Jones

Can you help me to with a few things on the cowl tag of mine 59 Dynamic 88?
PAINT F E E E (already know the colours, but where exacty are they located on the car?)
ACC 3 K7

Thanks and greetings from Belgium!
Old November 5th, 2017, 11:14 AM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by David 59Olds
Hello Charlie Jones

Can you help me to with a few things on the cowl tag of mine 59 Dynamic 88?
PAINT F E E E (already know the colours, but where exacty are they located on the car?)
ACC 3 K7

Thanks and greetings from Belgium!
Paint codes read left to right . Lower body color , upper body color , stripe color , and wheel color .
I can't help you on the accessory (ACC) codes . Maybe others will chime in .
Old November 5th, 2017, 12:17 PM

Thanks!
So this is original/correct? (picture)

And where precisely is "stripe color" located?

Thanks again!
Old November 5th, 2017, 12:57 PM
Phantom Phixer

The "stripe" color on 59's is the color of the trunk lid and the stripe that runs from the tail light to the front fender ornament . Upper body color is the color of the roof .

Yes , your car is painted in the original colors .
Since it has a fourth code (E) , it means the wheels were painted dark green and were probably fitted with "dog dish " hubcaps.
Old November 5th, 2017, 01:09 PM

Okay! Thank you very much!
Old December 20th, 2017, 06:52 AM

The "stripe" color on 59's is the color of the trunk lid and the stripe that runs from the tail light to the front fender ornament . Upper body color is the color of the roof .

Yes , your car is painted in the original colors .
Since it has a fourth code (E) , it means the wheels were painted dark green and were probably fitted with "dog dish " hubcaps.
Hello Charlie, do you maybe know where we can get the original colors for our 59 olds? We found Dupont on the color chart, but they can't help us...

Thanks again!
Old December 20th, 2017, 09:45 AM
Phantom Phixer

The TCP company has paint available;
http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/
Old December 20th, 2017, 09:58 AM

Thank you very much!
Old December 23rd, 2017, 09:15 AM

Hello again.

I searched for the colors on the TCP-website, but I have no idea if the color that they propose is correct...
As you can see in the pictures, I used the information from the colorchart. Don't know if what I did is correct. Maybe you (or someone else) can help me?

Thanks again!
Old December 23rd, 2017, 06:48 PM
Phantom Phixer

David ,
The color charts shown are actual paint color chips used by body shops "back in the day ."
However , when you look at them through a camera , The internet , a computer monitor , or worse yet a cellphone screen . They lose a lot of their color accuracy .
Rest assured , that if you give them the correct code , you will get the right color .
I got acrylic enamel from them for an 88 Dodge Airies . The paint matched the door jams and bottom of the trunk lid spot on .

They offer about five different kinds of paint . Enamel , lacquer , urethane , basecoat /clearcoat .
Are you planning on painting it yourself ? Or letting a pro do it ?
If a pro is doing the job , let them pick the type of paint that they work best with .
Acrylic lacquer is the original finish from new . However the car can be painted in any of 5 different types of paint .
Acrylic lacquer , is a lot of work . The lacquer dries rather quickly , and it must be "colorsanded " with very fine sandpaper and then be buffed with a buffer (or by hand in some places) to a high gloss .
In my humble opinion , it still gives the best "show" finish . Lacquer is also the most "forgiving" of rookie mistakes .
Enamels and urethanes dry "as is " and depend more on the skill of the painter for the quality of finish .
Also , the manufacture paint code is "E" . The chip formula number is DDL-42490 .

Last edited by Charlie Jones; December 23rd, 2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old December 24th, 2017, 02:36 AM

David ,
The color charts shown are actual paint color chips used by body shops "back in the day ."
However , when you look at them through a camera , The internet , a computer monitor , or worse yet a cellphone screen . They lose a lot of their color accuracy .
Rest assured , that if you give them the correct code , you will get the right color .
I got acrylic enamel from them for an 88 Dodge Airies . The paint matched the door jams and bottom of the trunk lid spot on .

They offer about five different kinds of paint . Enamel , lacquer , urethane , basecoat /clearcoat .
Are you planning on painting it yourself ? Or letting a pro do it ?
If a pro is doing the job , let them pick the type of paint that they work best with .
Acrylic lacquer is the original finish from new . However the car can be painted in any of 5 different types of paint .
Acrylic lacquer , is a lot of work . The lacquer dries rather quickly , and it must be "colorsanded " with very fine sandpaper and then be buffed with a buffer (or by hand in some places) to a high gloss .
In my humble opinion , it still gives the best "show" finish . Lacquer is also the most "forgiving" of rookie mistakes .
Enamels and urethanes dry "as is " and depend more on the skill of the painter for the quality of finish .
Also , the manufacture paint code is "E" . The chip formula number is DDL-42490 .

Thanks again for your answer.

The paint job will be done by a pro. So like you said, i'm going to ask him what kind of paint he prefers tot use.
But there is just one thing that I do not understand. When I select several different colors, they just give me the same item no. and discription (like you can see on the pictures below). How do I know if this is the right color? Do I just need to 'believe' them?

And than one last question what about that quantity? Is it liters or gallons or number of pots... ? I see they give 2 severel prices, so I thought that one is for the number of pots and the other for liters/gallons?

Thanks again!
Old December 24th, 2017, 09:38 AM
Phantom Phixer

The item number breaks down this way;
RSP= Restoration Shop Paint
AU = acrylic urethane
C = "C" color ( Colors are classified for pricing purposes . Reds and maroons are most expensive . White the least .)
GL = gallon
QT = quart

A gallon of paint should be enough to paint a whole vehicle . It is usually best to use the same brand of thinner / reducer as the paint . So I would also buy this from them .

It's probably best to get with your painter and figure out exactly what you will need , before ordering .
Old December 24th, 2017, 11:06 AM

Charlie, you answered some questions I had. Thanks.
Ralph
Old December 24th, 2017, 04:41 PM

Okay!
Thank you very much!
Old February 25th, 2018, 06:59 PM

Emerald Mist. E E E.
Old February 25th, 2018, 07:07 PM

[QUOTE=Charlie Jones;1054166]The "stripe" color on 59's is the color of the trunk lid and the stripe that runs from the tail light to the front fender ornament . Upper body color is the color of the roof .
Old February 26th, 2018, 02:37 PM

Cool pics!

Another question over here
Does anyone know where to find something as the "motor-number"? It's hard to find a number on the engine of our '59 Dynamic

Thanks again!
Old February 26th, 2018, 03:57 PM

Centre of left hand cylinder head there is a machined spot. Thats it there.

Keep in mind the heads could have been changed at some time. Engine Block date codes etc are cast in at various places. There have been threads on the locations in the past.