Looking for Suggestions: Wheel Ideas for 1971 98

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2009, 01:11 AM
in love with a '71 98

Looking for Suggestions: Wheel Ideas for 1971 98

Hello fellow Olds lovers,

It's been a while since I've been around, but being busy with school can put a damper on making time for fun stuff. School is out and I'm going to be working a lot more, and one thing that is on the top of my list for my 98 is new wheels and tires. I have some ideas in mind when it comes to new rolling stock, but I haven't come across something that just floors me. So I thought I would open up the floor to suggestions from you guys. What do you think would look good on my Olds?

untitled.jpg

I'd like to do something that was a 17x8 or 18x8, all the way around. I haven't gotten it measured by a wheel/tire shop yet, but I want the widest rim I can get in there, without going overboard. Just something that will improve the ride and handling, fill out the wheel well, and also something that wont make my 98 look like its riding on dinner plates! The stock rims are just too skinny on such a big car. I don't want "DUB's"...I'm obviously not that kind of kid, :lol but I want something that will bring out my 98's sportier, more muscley (if thats a word) side.

My ideas so far consist of:
American Racing Salt Flat Specials
mVN5701.jpg

American Racing Shelby Cobras (if they could make them in the correct bolt pattern)
mSB4271.jpg

Or Cragar Soft 8's ( I would possibly powder coat them red, for a vintage racer/rum runner look. I would have raised white letter tires put on these.)
crr-397_w.jpg

Alright, there you have it. Tell me what you think, and let me know if you have any suggestions, as I'm kind of at a loss.

Thanks!

-Bob
Old May 4th, 2009, 04:26 AM

Bob. I think you should go with the Cragar Soft 8s. I was thinking of putting those wheels or the Cragar D Window wheels on my 71 98. I think they are plain yet herculian. I guess great minds think alike.
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:12 AM

Soft 8's for sure. To bad Crager doesn't make the wire wheels with the 5x5 bolt pattern anymore they would look outstanding on you car
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by citcapp
Soft 8's for sure. To bad Crager doesn't make the wire wheels with the 5x5 bolt pattern anymore they would look outstanding on you car
The old Appliance chrome dish wheels with the wire spokes that fastened over them sort of looked like wire wheels, and Porta-Wall portable whitewalls of course.
1971 Olds Polycast wheels with RWL tires or redlines?

Would you believe chrome reverse with baby moons and raised white letter tires?

The Cragars would give it a more muscularlyierous look, do they come in chrome?

I still want to get the Pimpstar wheels that you can upload pics to and they display when you're driving. Then I can have pics of any wheel I want on my wheels, four different ones, the sky's the limit.
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:23 AM

I still want to get the Pimpstar wheels that you can upload pics to and they display when you're driving.
I've seen those wheels before. I think they start at about $3000 a piece.
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:11 AM
in love with a '71 98

Thanks Olds64 and citcapp! Obviously great minds DO think alike. I really like the soft 8's too, and for the same reason, just a great muscular looking wheel that would really add a brutishness to the 98. The only think is, the soft 8's look great with raised white letter tires, but I want to upgrade to 17" rims, and I dont know of any tire company that makes raised white letter tires to fit a 17" rim. I would probably end up taking some white out/white letter tire paint, and painting in the letters on a set of 17" goodyear eagle gt's or bfgoodrich's. I've seen others use this method with good results. The soft 8's are also the cheapest option by far, which is another reason I like them so much! I had those cragar d window rims in mind as well. Would you have done anything to them, like paint them when putting them on your 98, Olds64?

And yes, Bluevista, they do come in chrome. But I still think I would go with black ones, to eventually/maybe paint them red for that vintage stock car racer/hot rod look. Or I would paint them to match the body color and find chrome trim rings for them.

I think a while back I had brought up the 1971 Olds Polycast wheels. These are what you are talking about, right?
282467_185154636_Original.jpg

If so, I really like these wheels, and almost bought a set off ebay not too long ago to put on the 98, but I cant give up the desire for a bigger wheel/tire combo.

"chrome reverse with baby moons and raised white letter tires."
This is another combo I have thought about actually, because its such a classic look. I would consider going with wide whites with this option.

Here's one more idea I've been kicking around recently that I forgot to include. Tell me what you think.
25984210016_large.jpg

Rims from the 1994-1996 Impala SS. They are the same 5x5 bolt pattern as our full size 98's and they are a 17x8.5, which is exactly what kind of size I am looking for. And I think they would look good on the 98, classic 5 spoke design, with a modern flair, with a good bit of muscle to them. I would probably paint the everything but the lip of the rim a gun metal grey color. I've seen sets on craigslist for pretty cheap, some with decent tires already on them for about $400-600, which is within my price range, just like the soft 8's.

Any thoughts on these?
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:58 AM

A Chevy wheel on an Oldsmobile??? Blasphemy!!!!!!! I'm also just not a big fan of modern looking wheels on an old car. jmho.

Personally, I'd go with the '71 Olds Polycast wheels. They're period correct, Oldsmobile correct, and an awesome design. See what the biggest tires are you can put on them. I honestly don't think it'll be too far off what you want.
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:54 AM

This is what I am installing on my 57 Olds 15" with 235/75R tires. I haven't washed off the blue protection yet. But they are wide whites. Bought the wheels on e-bay all 5 for $345.00 with shipping. I think the guy still has more for sale
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0802.jpg (88.0 KB, 30 views)
Old May 6th, 2009, 08:50 PM

citcapp, did you buy the rubber off of e-bay or the rims.....if it was the rubber i'd be interested in he ebay site..
Old May 7th, 2009, 04:23 AM

Bob, as you said there are alot of different options. Personally, I like the SS IV rims that Oldsmobile made for the B/C body in the early 70s. I have never seen any for sale. If you can find some, I would jump on them like a rat on a cheeto.

If I were to put Soft 8s on my Olds I would leave them, black, silver, or chrome. The wheels come powder coated or chromed and these coatings are very durable. It would be diffiicult to paint/powder coat them a differnt color and have the paint adhere properly without first media blasting them to completely remove the original coating.

The Impala wheels are pretty cool, but sort of plain. The main concern I would have is whether or not the spinner could be changed to an Olds emblem. Perhaps you could get the Olds rocket spinner for SS wheels and adhere it to the Impala wheel. One good thing about Impala wheels is that they are larger and you said you wanted a 17" rim.

IMHO, I think I am eventually going to use Cragar Soft8s or the Cragar SS wheels with black wall tires. I hope I can run 15x8 wheels and meaty tires like 235/75 R 15 on all sides. I hope they fit behind the fender skirts.
Old May 7th, 2009, 08:03 AM

I bought the rims on e-bay. I bought the tire from Diamond Back on the internet. They had the best price on the wide white and also had the best white wall design I have ever seen and were nice to work with. Look at their web site. Lots of information and pricing

WWW.dbtires.com
Old May 7th, 2009, 08:18 PM

Thanks...I'm off to visit the website now
Old May 8th, 2009, 04:15 AM

I would run the soft 8's before messing up those impala rims. I am partial to Impalas though. Would love to have a set of those for a early to mid 60's hard top, or vert with a 427 4 spd combo.