1969 ninety-eight electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2013, 11:59 AM

1969 ninety-eight electrical issues

i got my headlight switch installed but still same problem...turn signals light up on dash when u cut on park lights randomnly. (car not on) i put pressure on cluster and they go out and the illumination on cluster brightens up a bit and vice versa. i had been havin issues of battery dieing over night and kept hearing a turn signal flash but nothing lighting up. i also went under dash and found lil flasher for turn signals and changed it with the round silver ones and now they flash faster. back to the cluster..can it be an internal problem? i thought no power was up there when key off?...can anyone help me with how to remove it? i took out screws but it barely came out of pocket where i can see what connects behind it. hopefully i dont have to take out dash(which i need to know how to remove it also if necessary)
Old August 15th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

To find out how to remove cluster or dash, consult your Chassis Service Manual.
A copy can be obtained for free from WildAboutCars if you don't have a paper one yet.

Your problem could be coming from a number of places, starting with bad grounds at one or more light sockets.
Take apart all of your signal lights, test the bulbs, clean all the contacts, and assure that all of the grounds are good, then see whether it's better. If not, then you may need to pull the cluster.

Keep us posted.

- Eric
Old August 15th, 2013, 09:16 PM

i figured out how to remove cluster...found lil corrosion on some of the circuit board and cleaned them off and checked all the bulbs for resistance and put them back in. still had the same thing happened so i took a spare piece of wire and grounded the cluster and those turned signals cut off and the illumination came on like it was supposed to. however none of the warning lights would come one that should when u cut the ignition on. could this possibly be a problem with the ignition or turn signal switch? i seen a light hint of smoke come from base of steering wheel out of column maybe a couple days ago but didnt smell anything burning. im thinkin of grabbin them and plug in to harness to see what i get before fully installing them. i may hafta abort this project..i cant stand electrical problems and to add to injury i found a rusted section in frame under drivers rear door
Old August 16th, 2013, 03:11 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If you're concerned about the signal switch, I'd disconnect the plug and test each of the light circuits with a 12V wire first (because it's easy) to prove that all is well and the grounds are good, then you can focus on the switch if everything else checks out.

How much rust?

- Eric
Old August 16th, 2013, 06:27 AM

About a 2-3 inch hole on the side facing outward that i can see. Can u tell me specifically what to do with testing or point me in a direction to how? I also would like to thank you for helpin me out!
Old August 17th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If it's an isolated hole in the frame, you may be able to weld a plate on it (remove the rug and sound deadener from the floor over the area first!), but if it's part of more diffuse thinning, it may not be worth it.

As for the plug, look at the wiring diagram, figure out which wires go to which lights, stick a +12V probe in each one, and see what lights up.
If the right bulbs don't light up, or the wrong ones do, you can focus in on those areas.
Also check with a meter or test light to be sure you have current on the wires that are supposed to be hot (remembering that the flashers may not flash with a load of only a single bulb).

- Eric