The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello from Denver!!

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2014, 04:11 PM

Hello from Denver!!

Ok, I had a nice intro all written up with some history on myself and my 1964 Starfire along with some things I'd done as well as near future plans. I started adding pics and went to preview it and BLAM the site wanted me to sign in again and lost my story. Should have done it in Word first then pasted, you'd think I'd have learned this by now but NO!
I've got some things do get done today so I'm going to leave this with some pics and I'll get the history up here soon, stay 'tooned.

64Starfire1.jpg

64Starfire3.jpg

64Starfire4.jpg

64Starfire10.jpg

64Starfire22.jpg

64Starfire21.jpg
Old April 27th, 2014, 04:59 PM
CQR

Welcome from lakewood. Nice lookin car. Have you checked out the Golden super cruise? First Saturday of every month. Old golden road.
Old April 27th, 2014, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, we do like story time and pictures.
Old April 27th, 2014, 06:04 PM
Old School Olds

Welcome. Nice vert.
Old April 27th, 2014, 06:29 PM

Welcome to CO

Tell us about the decal on the fender well "street machine... something about the 60's". could not read it all. Nice car. very well cared for. Enjoy it and post more pics when you can.
Old April 27th, 2014, 06:39 PM

Welcome to the site! Looking at your wheels, they look like real spinner hubs. Are those hubcaps?

John
Old April 27th, 2014, 08:06 PM

Welcome from Littleton!
Tom
68 442
70 F85
Old April 27th, 2014, 08:45 PM

Welcome, from Parker. Nice ride!
Old April 27th, 2014, 08:59 PM

Great looking ride. Welcome! I like the mid-century modern homes in the background. Looks like a nice neighborhood for a mid-century ride.
Old April 28th, 2014, 07:27 AM

Welcome...
Old April 29th, 2014, 11:58 AM

It’s a slow day at work so let’s see what we can hammer out here.

I have not been to the Golden Super Cruse yet, I do plan on going this coming weekend though. Unfortunately it will be without the Starfire as my Saturday morning plans involve pulling the motor & tranny.

The car is in pretty good shape, a few minor issues thought like the tranny and the top. She’s got a couple rust bubbles over the rear wheels and on the lower edge of the deck lid but that’s it. The paint has been touched up MANY times over the years, which makes me reluctant to color sand or highly polish as it might look like some hybrid white camouflage. The top works mechanically, it just has a giant hole in it so that will be getting recovered soon and could use a new hydraulic system too (maybe). I just rebuilt the front brakes and will be adding a dual master cylinder as well as re-bending all the brake lines and the back shoes will get some love too. I thought about switching to disks but my goal now is to get it back on the road so that might be a next winter project. All the vacuum goodies work, wipers, heat vents, trunk latch, so I’m a bit nervous to even touch any of that stuff because…well, you all know the lines. The driver’s door is saggy, the hinges are shot, and as a result the striker and latch have been beaten up pretty good too. Plus for its first few years in my garage my wife was still parking next to it and we had young kids so, 1+1 = many door dings.

The car came from the son of an old family friend that passed away many years ago. All of his kids got one of his cars and the son who got the Starfire had just moved to Greeley. The new subdivision didn’t build garages long enough for the Starfire so it went on the market and I jumped. That was almost 15 years ago and she has been patiently waiting for the love but along the way there were three kids, dogs, and all the other life stuff.

I have been around cars all my life, from street rods in the 70’s with my dad, muscle cars in the 80’s, plus motorcycles floated around on & off and in the last few years I’ve built a couple of them as well. My first car was a ’55 Buick Century, I quickly burned out the tranny so my dad & I yanked the entire driveline from a 1970 GS Rivera. She had some real get up & go once we got the 455/400 in and no, I didn’t kill that tranny before I sold it.

I’m really looking to get the Starfire back on the road and have tried to, at least, take care of it over the years. It’s a fun car that my son, who’s 10, has already told me he’s taking to prom, so I guess I better get to work. I’ve been a member on this forum for a while, mostly poking around, checking out rides, and trying to learn a thing or two and now that the work has begun I figured I share.

The plaque on the wheel well was from the original owner & was from a “Back to the 60’s” thing in the mid 70’s in Minnesota where the car spent most of its life. I’ll get a better pic of it up soon. No it’s not going anywhere; I do want to preserve it because car history is an important thing. The wheel are universal steel 5 slot mags, the spinners have a cap that goes over the lug nuts then the tops just spin on. Again those are staying because I think they work so well on the car, I’m always on the lookout for spares for sure. As for the homes in the background, mid-century-ish, there is a enclave of homes nearby that are true mid-century style and that bled into our neighborhood.
Old April 29th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Administrator

That's funny that you became an owner due to garage length in a newer home. Hopefully it will be a simple resto with no major issues. It ought to be a fun project for you and your son. Start a major projects thread so others can follow.
Old April 29th, 2014, 04:50 PM

Welcome to CO from the left cost

Nice ride and interesting story. Start a build thread and keep us abreast of the progress.
Old April 30th, 2014, 10:27 AM

I plan to get a build thread going soon and I'll drop a link to it in this thread also.
Old May 4th, 2014, 09:35 PM

Welcome from Parker!! Nice looking ride. There is a lot of knowledge on this site and a ton of helpful people. You will be glad you joined.
Old May 6th, 2014, 09:07 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO!
Old May 9th, 2014, 06:17 AM

I said I'd throw the link up for my build thread, follow along and speak up.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post694877
Old May 9th, 2014, 06:56 AM

Great story, Freaky! Oh, and welcome to CO! Good lookin' Oldsmobile, too! Will follow your thread.
Aron