The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello there, new to forum, an introduction.

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2009, 11:17 AM

Hello there, new to forum, an introduction.

Hi there- new to the CO forum. I can tell already by looking around on here before my account activation that this site is going to be an absolute wealth of information for me.

My car is a '63 Dynamic, 394 of course, 2 door HT. Originally maroon metallic, currently being refinished in black, with the maroon interior.

It will be getting a tri-power for a little extra show and go, and possible a custom ground cam somewhere down the line.

Hey there, all you Olds fanatics! I am privileged to have found you!

Old August 17th, 2009, 11:30 AM

Welcome we look forward to seing pics of your project.
Old August 17th, 2009, 12:24 PM

Welcome

Welcome aboard
Sounds like you've got yourself a fine ride.

Post some pics when you get an opportunity.
Old August 17th, 2009, 05:47 PM

Talking Welcome to CO

Sounds like a nice ride. Post some pictures so we can all enjoy your toy
Old August 17th, 2009, 05:59 PM

Location: Beaver Dams,NY (just south of Watkins Glen-you know,the race track)
Cool

Welcome to the forum.The 63's were great cars.I had a 63 98 convertible in the 70's that is one of my 'wish I' cars (wish I still had it!).Your gonna love it here,it's a great bunch!
Old August 17th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome! A lot of knowledge and experience on this site. Everyone is very helpful, and you really learn a lot. Glad to have you!
Old August 18th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO and glad you joined us.
Old August 18th, 2009, 07:19 PM

Some pics that everyone has been anticipating. The one on the bottom is the exact model as mine, and the one that i am looking to mimic except for the wheels. Very Elvira-esque! lol...

olds3-1.jpg

olds1.jpg

olds3.jpg

DSCN0486.jpg

DSCN0483.jpg

DSCN0482.jpg

DSCN0484.jpg

DSCN0487.jpg

olds1-1.jpg
Old August 18th, 2009, 07:22 PM

Oh yeah-- there was someone on here that was redoing a '59 big body, and he was using some sort of chassis paint (I forget what he called it) that looked fantastic. I have used POR-15 so far, and I am less than impressed with it. It hasn't adhered like it promised at all. The pics posted are from 3 years ago, and alot of it has since peeled or will soon peel. Whatever that guy used, it looked GREAT. It was black, and not flat, but not shiny either. Looked like the factory stuff. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!
Old August 18th, 2009, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Sounds like a nice ride. Post some pictures so we can all enjoy your toy

I LOVE that '48 you have. I knew where there was one jsut like yours up north, that had a near picture perfect 303 still under the hood, complete with oil bath air cleaner and plug wire looks all still intact. It literally looked as if someone parked it in the early 50's and never touched it again. Same color and everything! My favorite thing about that car was the horn center- the planet (Saturn??) gold plated with the midnight blue sky and stars around it, encased in a plexiglas dome?? What attention to DETAIL!!! An entire car doesn't have that much coolness as the horn button in the '48!!
Old August 19th, 2009, 06:40 AM

I have used POR-15 so far, and I am less than impressed with it. It hasn't adhered like it promised at all.
What!

If you haven't had luck with it call the POR15 office and ask them to send you a new can of paint. Perhaps the one you got is too old or something. I've never heard anyone say anything negative about POR15 until now. I am surprised. It has to be a fluke.
Old August 19th, 2009, 09:43 AM

I never really thought of trying that, but then again, at the time I bought the POR 15, all I could find it through was online brokers, and I had a really hard time even getting the stuff. I sen email after email when my paint hadn't arrived after nearly 2 weeks, and it finally showed up after dealing through fed ex. the seller of the paint was of no help to me. I also got some Buick Green for the engine, as it was the closest thing i could find to the Olds green. i figured it would bring up alot of conversations with those that happen to notice.
Old August 19th, 2009, 02:02 PM

Going to be a cool car when you get it done. That other frame you saw that was so nice might have been powder coated, makes for a great look. Thanks for the comment on the 48 its a work in progress with a 455 and a 5-speed going into it, will be a neat ride when its done
Old August 19th, 2009, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by rocket-powered
the seller of the paint was of no help to me.
If ever an issue with POR15, email them directly and tell them what is wrong. If you can email or mail a copy of your original receipt, they will send you a replacement can asap.
It has a 2 year shelf life. One place sent me some 5 year old engine paint, so this is how I found out about this. POR15 is powdercoat in a can!
Old August 19th, 2009, 09:39 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
If ever an issue with POR15, email them directly and tell them what is wrong. If you can email or mail a copy of your original receipt, they will send you a replacement can asap.
It has a 2 year shelf life. One place sent me some 5 year old engine paint, so this is how I found out about this. POR15 is powdercoat in a can!
ha yeah but don't get it on your skin I know I used it on my car.
Old August 20th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Past Administrator

I too think POR15 is a good product and think perhaps you got some old paint from a non-responsive middle man. I ordered direct from them and their service and response was great. As with all paints, preparation and cleanliness is paramount. Their engine paint has a lot more pigment in it than most enamels and covers very well, you have to stir it frequently.
Your car is really going to be nice when finished. You indicated a different wheel treatment than those on the sample picture. What are your plans? And, welcome to CO.

Last edited by Oldsguy; August 26th, 2009 at 04:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old August 25th, 2009, 09:13 PM

Yeah, i am definitely starting to suspect i got some bad paint. The thing that sucks is, i have no idea what I did with the receipt. And two- the Buick green i ordered for the engine has to be at least 2 years old now, so I should probably can it. LOL.. Oops- that's what I get for being lazy for the last couple years and not doing anything with it. I know my prepwork was good- it was sandblasted bare in all the spots i used the paint. I regret that, though- as i will never be able to get all of the sand out of everything. I wish I would have used an abrasive wheel. oh well, live and learn, I guess- i just never really liked that approach on an old car, or one I really like.