The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

My 72 Cutlass Supreme Project

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2018, 09:38 PM

My 72 Cutlass Supreme Project

Sup guys, this is an introduction of my 72 Cutlass Supreme that I bought back in May of this year.

Guy I bought it from says the previous owners hadn't driven the car since 1984. He went through it and replaced brake and fuel lines, spark plugs, distributor cap and wires and a few other things to get it back on the road.

I've been enjoying it in this form and collecting parts since then.

Immediate plans are to get the brakes, suspension and steering components rock solid.

Needed larger wheels for my LS1 brake swap that I've gathered parts for and ended up finding a great deal on these 18 Foose's off a Camaro.

Need to get the brake upgrade done and track down the issue with my lights. Right now, none of my high or low beams work and only one of my parking lights. One sides blinker works sometimes and the other remains solid and doesnt blink when activated.

Last edited by Matic; August 17th, 2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old August 18th, 2018, 03:54 AM

Welcome fellow Michigander! Looks good!
Old August 18th, 2018, 04:32 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, congrats on the new toy. Post questions in the main forums.
Old August 18th, 2018, 09:48 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome.
Nice looking car. In 72 GM didn't offer any of the A bodies with Black (code 19 PNT on the cowl tag). Strange but true, and it' looks good on the car. Some cars did get black but that would be a special order and had to be approved by Olds. If your VIN says PNT 19 19, you've got one of those cars.

The PO obviously had a theme for black going with the tail lights and grills. Those are Cutlass grills BTW, not Cutlass Supreme. I'm surprised the headlight bezels were not painted black like the 72's were. In any case you'll want to remove them and put them on the proper sides. Right now they're on the wrong sides.

Nice wheels, they look really sharp. Being Foose they should be though.
Old August 18th, 2018, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Welcome.
Nice looking car. In 72 GM didn't offer any of the A bodies with Black (code 19 PNT on the cowl tag). Strange but true, and it' looks good on the car. Some cars did get black but that would be a special order and had to be approved by Olds. If your VIN says PNT 19 19, you've got one of those cars.

The PO obviously had a theme for black going with the tail lights and grills. Those are Cutlass grills BTW, not Cutlass Supreme. I'm surprised the headlight bezels were not painted black like the 72's were. In any case you'll want to remove them and put them on the proper sides. Right now they're on the wrong sides.

Nice wheels, they look really sharp. Being Foose they should be though.
Thanks. Noticed everything you mentioned besides the headlight bezels being on the wrong sides. What tipped you off to that?

Car was originally silver. Paint job is amateur and I plan on going back silver whenever that time comes around. I'll eventually end up going with 442 grills and the black headlight bezels as well.

Wheels look good and function well for me right now but i do wish they had less of a gap between the tire and the fender lip.
Old August 18th, 2018, 11:05 AM
Just an Olds Guy

The tip off for the headlight bezels is their alignment. The wide part should be to the center of the stone shield. I also noticed that one of the eye brow moldings (drivers side) is missing. That part is easily availble through the parts wanted section of this site, or from aftermarket vendors.

Sterling Silver (PNT code 13 13 on the Cowl tag)? I'm partial to sliver myself.

If the wheels aren't giving you the right clearances for the fenders, or lock to lock turns they might have the wrong offset. I've found that lower profile tires give a much stiffer ride unless you have a specially tuned suspension to compensate.

EDIT: Mirrors are aftermarket too. Are you planning to change them to sport (RPO D35) mirrors?
Old August 18th, 2018, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
The tip off for the headlight bezels is their alignment. The wide part should be to the center of the stone shield. I also noticed that one of the eye brow moldings (drivers side) is missing. That part is easily availble through the parts wanted section of this site, or from aftermarket vendors.

Sterling Silver (PNT code 13 13 on the Cowl tag)? I'm partial to sliver myself.

If the wheels aren't giving you the right clearances for the fenders, or lock to lock turns they might have the wrong offset. I've found that lower profile tires give a much stiffer ride unless you have a specially tuned suspension to compensate.

EDIT: Mirrors are aftermarket too. Are you planning to change them to sport (RPO D35) mirrors?
Definitely plan on swapping to sport mirrors too. Not to be factory correct but I prefer the look.