The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie to the Olds (and GM) World!

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2018, 08:15 PM
XKC

Angry Newbie to the Olds (and GM) World!

Hi All,

As the title says, I'm a newcomer to the Olds world, and the only other GM products that I've owned have been a 1997 Buick Skylark (loaned to me for a month while I was car searching after my car at the time was totaled) and an 04 GMC Sonoma that I had for about a year as a 16 year old before my parents sold it when I moved to college. It's been 14 years since the Sonoma, and about 5 since the Skylark, but suddenly I find myself back in the world of GM.

I've recently been given unofficial ownership of a 1968 Oldsmobile 98, 4-door, with the Grey/Green paint color. The car is about 300 miles away, and has sat for around 30 years. It was previously owned by my step-father's father, who passed away from a heart attack. Since then, none of his children have wanted ownership of that car, and finally, my step-father was able to convince the title holder that I'd do the car and their family proud by restoring it.

I've been involved in the automobile world as a hobby since 2004, and in 2008/2009 I took over joint ownership/administrator duties of a car club centered around the 84-88 Nissan 200SX (S12 chassis, RWD, the models I owned had the 3.0L V6). I haven't had a true "project car" since 2011 (the '99 miata doesn't count, since by height I don't quite fit in the dang thing to drive it). My goal mainly will be a simple restoration to running condition so that as my kiddos grow up, we'll have a nice cruiser to take on a Saturday drive. I don't expect show quality, and I don't expect a "factory" restoration, as I'm more than happy to add in a few modern day comforts or upgrade parts as I go.

Hope to chat with more of you soon!
XKC

Last edited by XKC; April 6th, 2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old April 5th, 2018, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, sounds like a fun project.
Old April 6th, 2018, 05:09 AM
344879M363895

Hello and welcome. There is a lot of help here to help you on your journey. Good luck.
Old April 6th, 2018, 06:56 AM
XKC

Thanks, both of you. I can't wait to get it here. As far as I know the title/ownership paperwork is in the mail on it's way to me at this point. Once I get that, I'll get the plan in motion to get it hauled back up here.
Old April 6th, 2018, 07:01 AM

XKC, welcome to the site. I bet it's a cool car. Post pics when you get a chance.
Old April 6th, 2018, 07:46 PM
XKC

Well hell, that was short lived. I found out the person in possession of the title drove it into a muddy field on the property and destroyed the 30 year old title to spite his siblings about ten years ago. Without the title and no clear "ownership" defined in my step-grandfather's will, this project is a non-starter now for me. It'd be impossible to get titled and would be a nightmare to restore if it's sat in a wet spot in the yard for that long.

I know that all sounds like a made up horror story, but that's what the text I got this evening from my step-father indicates. Never even got pictures of the thing before this dream died in a fire (or puddle in a field as it may be). The sad part is, over the past week I've quickly fallen in love with the potential of the Rocket 455 and I love the looks of both the pillar and no-pillar 4door Ninety-Eight. Wouldn't even know where to begin to buy a true classic in need of restoration that wouldn't break my bank.

Any suggestions, or am I better off going back to the cheap world of 70's and 80's imports?
Old April 6th, 2018, 08:00 PM
Phantom Phixer

Welcome !
Come and join the " Darksiders " on this thread ;
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ers-unite.html
Old April 6th, 2018, 08:07 PM

I wouldn't give up. They're out there. You may have to travel a bit to get one.

I found a few on a quick search.

Here's one in West Virginia (I believe) that doesn't look too bad for $5500.

https://martinsburg.craigslist.org/c...547802738.html

Here's a convertible in Chicago. A little on the high side pricewise, but he might take less. Convertibles are always fun and generally hold their value well.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/c...537742550.html

Here's another four-door at a very reasonable $4500. In Fresno, California. Looks pretty good.

https://fresno.craigslist.org/ctd/d/...547297780.html

Old April 6th, 2018, 08:30 PM
XKC

jaunty75, thanks for the encouragement! I really don't want to give up on it, because even without having the original car, a replacement could still be restored in my step-grandparents Lynn and Pauline's memory just as well as the original could. The chicago one would be closest to me, so cheapest to get it here. Thanks for the links! Do you use any particular search methods to find these? I tried a few google searches but I wasn't nearly as successful.
Old April 6th, 2018, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by XKC
Do you use any particular search methods to find these? I tried a few google searches but I wasn't nearly as successful.
There are ways to use Google to search craigslist if you know the correct syntax. I just use this site. It searches craigslist, ebay, autotrader, and other sites.

https://www.searchtempest.com/
Old April 7th, 2018, 03:16 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Good luck with your Olds 98 project...
Old April 7th, 2018, 06:31 PM

Smile

A new guy here as well!
WELCOME!!!
Old April 8th, 2018, 12:31 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Originally Posted by XKC
It'd be impossible to get titled and would be a nightmare to restore if it's sat in a wet spot in the yard for that long.

Wouldn't even know where to begin to buy a true classic in need of restoration that wouldn't break my bank.

Any suggestions, or am I better off going back to the cheap world of 70's and 80's imports?
Getting the title might be easier that the restoration. That said, there are available 98s in Central Illinois and Eastern Iowa (Dubuque, Clinton, Davenport) if you want to go that route. Not sure of your budget but you could get a complete car with $$ to spare for goodies. PM if you are interested in finding a 60s 98 in your area.
Old April 8th, 2018, 01:10 PM

I've quickly fallen in love with the potential of the Rocket 455 and I love the looks of both the pillar and no-pillar 4door Ninety-Eight
Hey XKC, I know the feeling.
I picked this one up a long time ago and spent some time and money on it but it's been sitting for a few years now.
I think it's time for someone else to enjoy it. I haven't advertised it - I had a buyer years ago but he just wanted the drivetrain and was going to junk the car so I said no.
Yes, I'm up in Alberta, but what an adventure it is hauling cars across the country!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
side 1.jpg (714.9 KB, 2 views)
side2.jpg (588.9 KB, 2 views)
inside.jpg (519.6 KB, 2 views)
engine.jpg (570.8 KB, 2 views)