The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Welcome to the new members

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Past Administrator

Yeah, missed that one, was out for lunch...

They are getting worse.
Old November 29th, 2006, 03:18 PM

Thanks, the spam is out of hand!

I will not let it stop me from accessing this fourm.

I like this fourm and the friendly info / relations it fosters.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 11:37 PM

Smile New Guy ? Is Mine a Classic Here?

Well I am new here.
Not sure this is for me. I wanted to start a thread with questions about these forums but was told I could only reply to threads not start one.
OK, but that causes me to post probably in the wrong place.
Anyhow hope this is as good a place as any.

I own a 1990 Ninety-Eight Regency Brougham Sedan. 3800 V-6-LN3
I like it. Seems to be in fine shape. 130M miles. Got it used (70M miles)(inherited it). Man I wish it was a Touring Sedan but alas it's not.
I intend to keep it til I die. Then I don't give a damm what becomes of it. Doubtful my offspring will be interested in keeping it.
Course I am aware things change and I may lose interest. Or they may gain interest. doubtful still !
I still carry collision on it. That's pretty stupid, but I keep forgetting to cancel it.
Maybe Monday.

Anyway I am not sure you guys would include it in your definition of "Classic Oldsmobiles" so I don't even know if I belong here.
So what is this sites official definition of a "Classic Oldsmobile" ?

If I fit in here yall will see I ask alot of questions...good ones I think, I try to ask them so others will benefit from the answers I hope they will generate.
Course I'm so mechanicallly challenged that I never know if I'm getting straight answers.. .

Anyway I think yall have a nice place here and I thank you for your patience and time and efforts.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 03:17 AM

Welcome and I think you will find that you are in the right place. The forums are broken out into many sections to help all types of Old's owners.
Old December 4th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Past Administrator

A Classic Oldsmobile has a manufacturer where the name is spelled O L D S M O B I L E.
Old December 5th, 2006, 05:29 PM

New Here

Just recently bought a 71 Cutlass S (with the wifes blessing). My very first car was a 68 Cutlass and after many stories and just as many cars in the mix. I started to come back to the old auto scene with a 1949 ford truck but that wasn't enough (no trunk). So we started looking at GTO's but they are way over priced. I seen a 69 convertible Cutlass and stopped to enquire about it to find out that it was not for sale but if you may be interested in a 71 hard top. Took a look and the price is definetly right so I took the wife to see it and I thought she was going to say no when he did a brake trouque in the shop. But she seen the potential and he is even going to store it till spring. It needs body and paint but there is 2 complete (rusted out) cutlass supreme and a S for parts but I will have to buy a carpet, headliner, and rubbers. Frame is finished and the motor is strong (455 with 70,000 on it).

Well I will looking in every now and then for advice and maybe the odd laugh. So everyone enjoy your choice of hardship as ours is Oldsmobile.
ImWired
Old December 6th, 2006, 04:34 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site! I see you are already researching and looking for body/color recommendatios as your other posts show. Good luck in your endevours and I hope we can help you out. The reward is sharing our interest and seeing the development of projects, especially before and after pictures!
Old December 6th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Banned

Post High quality movies absolutely for free!

Full lenght high quality movies absolutely for free! No payments, registrations and other crap
needed! It's absolutely free!
Start downloading full lenght movies for free in 10 seconds!
It's no a joke!

Just check it out!
Old December 6th, 2006, 10:23 PM

What is going on with all these SPAMers. What a waste of time............and space...........
Old December 7th, 2006, 04:45 AM
Past Administrator

Yeah, now the are posting in the late evening. I just saw it, always get them as fast as I can.
Old December 7th, 2006, 08:16 PM

OK I can log-in but I cant start new thread.
When will I be able to do so?
Is ther a set number of replies that I need to make before I can pose a question in new thread?

thanks
Old December 8th, 2006, 04:48 AM
Past Administrator

jaco,
Hi, I just checked your status and you have all regular member priveliges. You should be able to start a thread. Give it another try. Welcome to our site.
Old December 27th, 2006, 12:26 AM

Hi everyone, I own a 1984 Cutlass Supreme. It has MANY thousands of miles in 4 odometer flips on it's stock 307. I'm in the process of making it a trying to make it a true muscle sleeper, with a 455 swap(going to hang the 307 in a trophy case, lol) and a complete refreshining of the body and interior. I have been a Chevy guy for years, but this was my first car. I am in the process of selling my 1988 IROCZ(been a project platform more times than I know) so I can take more time to care for the Cutlass.
Glad to be a member of the Olds community!
Old December 27th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site!
Old December 27th, 2006, 03:08 PM

Welcome to the site!
lots of good info on here, and guys happy to help.
Old December 27th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Thanks for the welcome. I have a 72 Cutlass convertible I have had for 13 years. It only has 85,000 miles but it is time for a redo. It is leaking at the rear main and the front pump seal on the turbo 350. The left motor support is broken and the trans mount is broken. I am going to pull the engine and transmission. If the compression checks out okay (hot engine before it is pulled), I will probably just put a cam that will work with the 8.5 to 1 compression ratio, the Edelbrock Performer RPM and either use the quadrajet or a 600 CFM Holley. I have a set of Sanderson headers and roller tip rockers. I am looking for a better rear end, something like a 3.36.

I have also helped a friend of mine restore a 54 Super 88 convertible. He had one new and I found this one on ebay. It has taken almost 5 years but we are about done. He also has a 50 Super 88 convertible which is a very nice car.

I have done a lot of Chevy's over the years but have not done an Olds. As if have been doing a lot research on the Olds engine in preparation of this rebuild, I do realize Oldsmobile is different.

I am glad I found this website and look forward to offering help when I can.
Old December 28th, 2006, 04:52 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome here! Sounds like you have a good plan for the '72, someone flogged that puppy didn't they? Pictures please on the 54!
Old January 5th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I posted a picture of my car but it doesn't appear unless I click on my name. How do I fix this?

Thanks and I enjoy the site.

Glenn Hargrove
aka redoldsman
Old January 5th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Redoldsman,

Welcome!

Lotsa things there...may I suggest you consider staying with the QJet and going full roller rockers. Also, make sure you find an engine man that has experience with Oldsmobiles.

C.J.
Old January 5th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Thanks Texasred. I am also in Texas in Rowlett which is in the Dallas area. I appreciate the advice. I have found out that Olds people are really big on Qjets. I saw a guy from East Texas at the Nationals this year that specialized in Qjets and had four of them on a blown BB in a 66-67 442. If you saw him and have his name, I would appreciate it. Otherwise I may go with Sparky's. When you start reading the different forums, you really do realize the Olds is different. It just takes more $$. Common sense tells me to just do what I was talking about but then emotions tell me to go all the way through it and use flat top pistons while I have it out. The jury is still out on that one. I have a Toro oil pan and one of the things I have found out is I don't want to use a high volume oil pump. I have to finish my friends 54 Super 88 convertible before I can start on the Cutlass. The 54 is almost done after 4 1/2 years.

Thanks for the input.

redoldsman
Old January 5th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

His email is quadquad@verizon.net. Quad Quad...get it? I forgot his real name...please don't tell him!

The president of the South Texas Olds Club, Dan Sarvis Wblue70@aol.com, runs a 70 442 W-30 car into the 11s with stock cast iron heads and a QJet. It'll handle anything you can put to it! He also rebuilds them as a side business. Rebuilt, rejetted and drilled the throttle blades. Tuned so well that, after I dropped it back on, we went to adjust and his "ballpark" was dead on!

Good guy. Good rep. Good price.

BTW, have you contacted/joined the North Texas Olds Club in Dallas?

C.J.
Old January 13th, 2007, 08:46 PM

Hi all

Hi, my name is Steve. I plan on getting a 1957 Oldsmobile 98 2 door hardtop coupe so I have registered on this forum to get detailed information about the car . I would like to find out all specs on the car such as length, size motor, exterior trim, etc. If anybody here knows, please let me know. It would greatly appreciated.
Old January 14th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Past Administrator

Hi Steve, welcome to our site. The Ninety Eight had a 216.7 inch wheelbase. The engine was a 371 V8, 9.5:1 compression ratio, 400 pound feet of torque @ 2800rpm, 277 brake hp @ 4400rpm. As for exterior trim, just do a google image search, you will come up with lots of pictures. So when do you pick it up?
Old January 17th, 2007, 04:54 PM

Hi, my freinds call me Arco. I have a 68 442 Holiday Coupe I bought this car back in 1985 with no oil pressure. The car has a 400 cid, TH400, 3.31 12 bolt posi, AC, PB, PS, PW, AM FM radio, Olds under dash 8 track, gauges, and Tach with clock in the center.
Old January 17th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Hi Arco. Glad to have you here.

C.J.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 06:02 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site Arco.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 06:42 PM

Hey
My name is Terry and just joined. Hope to see some old friends and make some new ones. I have an Oldsmobile performance business and sell parts and build engines.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 04:31 AM
Past Administrator

Hi Terry, I remember you from over at R.O.P. Welcome to our site.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 04:51 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Heya Terry! Glad ta see ya here.

C.J.
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:38 PM

Hi! CJ and Dan nice to meet you. Hope to talk more often about cars.
Old March 20th, 2007, 01:25 PM

I have a 1971 olds cutlass supreme convertible and would like to know how many were built 1971. It has P/S P/B P/TRUNK P/SEATS P/TOP.
Thanks Marty
Old March 21st, 2007, 04:46 AM
Past Administrator

Hi Marty, I don't have my references here at work but still want to welcome you.
Old March 29th, 2007, 05:10 PM

New here just saying hello
Old March 29th, 2007, 05:11 PM

I have a 65 olds crusier wagon and i had a 72 88 my dad has a 65 442.
Old March 30th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site!
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:56 AM

oldsguy

Just a quick message to say Hi.Great to know it's a small world when you've got things in common that bring us all closer together via the internet. I've got a 58 super 88 and am looking for trunk handles since mine were removed by an unthoughtful thief and living in the UK it's so difficult to locate parts for my car.Hopefully I might strike it lucky now I know there are so many members out there.....Alan
Old April 2nd, 2007, 05:25 AM
Past Administrator

Alan,

Hi, there are quite a few owners of mid fifties Oldsmobiles, even a few '58s if I remember. Hope you find what you need.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 09:21 PM

Wanted: 1957 Oldsmobile convertible

I am looking for a 1957 Oldsmobile 98 convertible to restore. Must be in good shape. May consider one that is finished. Thanks
Ronnie
Old April 10th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Hey

Alright guys first of all I think its awesome what you guys do here, thanks alot for anything you can tell me. I've dabbled some with cars in the past but nothing near what I'd like to do here. I'm looking at a 1970 Olds F85 two door. Its pretty rough inside and out but supposedly runs good. I'm not interested in restoring to mint condition I basically just want to hot-rod it somewhat. Its listed at 1500 bucks and is an auto. I just wanted to know what you guys thought. I'll try to get some pictures soon. Let me know if its worth it. Thanks again
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Past Administrator

Sure it's worth it! Worth even more if it was 4 speed and bench seat but get it anyway.

Quick Reply: Welcome to the new members