The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie with a '57 88

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2018, 09:30 PM
1957 Golden Rocket 88

Talking Newbie with a '57 88

So I just bought this 1957 88 from a guy who owned it for a short period of time after buying it from a kid who thought he would paint it purple... hate the color but it's growing on me LOL. It's a Sedan model, which was originally all Allegheny Green, with Alcan White & Allegheny Green interrior. My last car was a '67 Mustang, had about 400 hp, but was p.o.s. to drive - needless to say mustangs are way overrated. I've only driven this a few times but I already love it. It just glides down the road, and "S" gears are amazing. Starting to finally work on it this weekend to tighten up the steering, and the brakes. First though is flushing the fluids as I took off the radiator cap and thought there was mud on the bottom. Any places anyone found parts for great prices I would appreciate the help, as I just found at JEGS the door rubber for on $31 a pair which I though was a good price. Any words of wisdom from people who own one, as to what to look for, anything finicky about them please let me know. Thanks, Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds 88.JPG (3.52 MB, 14 views)
Old July 12th, 2018, 04:47 AM

Welcome.
Try flushing, but maybe consider a trip to a radiator shop for cleaning and pressure testing.

I have a 57 88 that I haven't started on yet. I have been getting some things on www.rockauto.com for other Olds's I have. There is a number someplace on this site that will get you a 5% discount.

Everyone recommends getting a bound copy of the manual. There are "loose leaf" and CD versions available also. You can find a manual on www.rockauto.com under the "Literature" or Ebay.

You can compare the price for your "door rubber" with Jegs for curiosity.
Good luck.
Old July 12th, 2018, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, x2 for a cooling system flush.
Old July 12th, 2018, 06:52 AM

Welcome aboard. Chances are if the radiator water is muddy someone has put some sort of stop leak in there at some time (could just be rust). Quite a few here use Fusick for parts . Not the cheapest but a good company that supports the Oldsmobile community and often have that hard to get part you need and can't find anywhere else (860- 623-15890).I also use USA Parts Supply (703-335-1935), often for a price comparison.

Compared to a Mustang depending what you are looking for you will find that mid fifties Oldsmobile's (especially sedans) aren't well supported in aftermarket trim and sheet metal so ebay and parts car vendors are getting to be your best bet. Most engine and suspension parts are still viable though .... Lost in the fifties ... Tedd
Old July 13th, 2018, 10:11 PM
1957 Golden Rocket 88

arghh... so I found my first issue. The alternator is shot, found out driving it over to my fathers house to work on the breaks. But doesn't everyone have a few of these stories... On the side of the road, engine wouldn't crank, and then a cop pulls up which sent my dog out the window to greet him. Had to get the chain out so my father could tow me the mile that was left...

I've only gone through about four sites but can't find one for less than $400 which is crazy... looking through the posts it looks like everyone rebuilds them. Well there's a first for everything. At least this is doing exactly what I wanted which is creating some good times for my dad and I as he turns 75 this year.
Old July 13th, 2018, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Craiginct
arghh... so I found my first issue. The alternator is shot, found out driving it over to my fathers house to work on the breaks. But doesn't everyone have a few of these stories... On the side of the road, engine wouldn't crank, and then a cop pulls up which sent my dog out the window to greet him. Had to get the chain out so my father could tow me the mile that was left...

I've only gone through about four sites but can't find one for less than $400 which is crazy... looking through the posts it looks like everyone rebuilds them. Well there's a first for everything. At least this is doing exactly what I wanted which is creating some good times for my dad and I as he turns 75 this year.

I am thinking your "alternator" is a generator. It sounds like you had a dead battery ? Maybe your voltage regulator is bad ? Oldcutlass and others are a wiz on this stuff.

$400 for rebuilding generators or buying an aluminum radiator ?

As Tedd mentioned, "Stop leak" was commonly used.
Old July 14th, 2018, 05:33 AM

You can have your battery and generator tested at an auto parts store. Try SoffSeal and Steele Rubber for weatherstripping. Definitely a cool car.
Old July 14th, 2018, 06:15 AM

Unless someone has adapted a alternator in your car it should be a generator as mentioned above. If it is a generator and you get it rebuilt I would also get a new voltage regulator to go along with a new or rebuilt generator (also keep your old parts). There are re manufactured generators out there, Wilson comes to mind (dubious quality) and I a'm running one now but have had it rebuilt already so if you can have your own generator rebuilt by a local generator shop it's probably best.

Keep us posted and good luck.

PS You may never love it but it takes about three weeks to get used to a new cars color... Trust me been there done that several times..... Tedd
Old July 14th, 2018, 06:37 AM
1957 Golden Rocket 88

Thanks for all the advice everyone!! As you can tell I am a newbie especially to this year of vehicle as I didn't realize these were generators and not alternators... So what's the difference between a generator and an alternator? Fortunately there's a car show in town today that I was hoping to take it to and ask questions, but I'll have to just drive over with something else Hopefully there are some locals who know some good shops for rebuilding it locally. From looking at other threads and from your advice Tedd it sounds like a good idea to have two around so you can always be up and running.

I think I'll try the voltage regulator first this morning, and then slowly work my way around from there today.

Thanks again everyone I'll keep you updated!!
Old July 14th, 2018, 06:46 AM

If your battery will take a charge (you do have a battery charger don't you) you can get six of eight starts just off the battery and run many miles once started. That should give you enough starts to go to the show and stop by the auto shop and have it tested before you throw money at something that may not be the problem..... Just a thought ....Tedd
Old July 14th, 2018, 01:34 PM

A Generator produces DC voltage and an Alternator produces AC which is rectified by it's internal diodes to DC. Alternators are considered more efficient and can produce more current in a smaller package. Generators can be fussy as basically they are like a DC motor with brushes and an armature that carbon up and wear.
Old July 14th, 2018, 02:17 PM

if you search craigslist oldsmobile (parts) there is a 57 4dr parts car in johnston or n. scituate r.i. also there is a rebuilt generator on l.i. cl
Old July 14th, 2018, 03:06 PM
1957 Golden Rocket 88

So we have a bad generator... off for rebuilding... thanks for the help everyone!
Old July 14th, 2018, 09:11 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Welcome to the site. The 57 is one of my favorite Oldsmobiles form the 50's. I don't think I could ever get used to the color but that is me. It looks like they took the chrome off the side which is part of the car I love. As mentioned, you should get a factory shop manual. I like the original with a few greasy fingerprints on them. They are usually easy to find on ebay but beware the prices can vary a lot. The should be around $25 to $35 and will be the best money you ever spend on your car. I recently bought an extra for my 54 because it was $10. Be very careful towing your car because you can do damage to the transmission unless you remove the driveshaft or have the rear wheels off the ground. We look forward to the progress you will make with your car and as you can already see, there are lots of good folks here who are glad to help.
Old July 21st, 2018, 09:02 PM
1957 Golden Rocket 88

Thanks redoldsman, I agree next summer I'll paint it... need to get the electrical and interior first. If you saw the electrical you would probably get sick, there are wires hanging everywhere that aren't connected, and obviously he didn't know what he was doing and took short cuts. Found a few wires that were just twisted with tape. So I cleaned a lot of that out the last couple of days, and replaced the generator. But now its safe, and I don't have to worry so I ordered some seat belts so my kids can ride in it soon. It also now runs really smooth. I have a shop manual, which I've read through quite a bit and is probably one of the best I've ever seen, especially the detail. As I get started this fall on the interior and wiring I'll post pics to follow along with the work... Thanks everyone and enjoy the rest of summer!