The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New here

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2021, 06:15 PM

It's been a while

New guy here from cornfield County OH. A bit of backstory-grew up in an Oldsmobile household. First car was a '78 Delta 88..been in Mopars ever since but still have a soft spot for Oldsmobile.

Been low-key wishing I could find my Grandpas 70 442 W-30 as it was local legend and I took it for granted when my uncle had it.

What brings me here, my boss has a '69 442 that has been in the barn for 10+ years and I finally convinced him to letting me put it back together as he's accepting the fact he's never going to mess with it again. Picked up the numbers matchingoriginal 400/Turbo 400 this afternoon and finally got to lay eyes on the car.

I've never rebuilt anything other than small block Mopars, so this'll be a learning experience..and with any luck I can end up buying the car to enjoy when it's all said and done. If not, at least I know where to go to find someone who will enjoy it. ​​​​​​​

Old April 11th, 2021, 07:00 PM

New here

New user here, but been around Oldsmobile most of my life. First car was a '78 Delta 88 (avatar) though I've been dealing with Mopars ever since. Still have a soft spot for Oldsmobiles though, and have been low key looking for my Grandpa's '70 442 as that car was local legend. What brings me here is the new project in starting for one of the owners of the company I work for. He has a '69 442 that has been in his barn for the last 10+ years. After riding his case about it, he finally gave me the okay to pick up the engine and tear it down to make sure it's still usable. It is the original 400, with the original Turbo 400 behind it. I've only ever cracked open small block Mopars, so this'll be quite the experience.

I'd love to buy the car off of him, as it would be a near full circle opportunity for myself, but ultimately I'd want to get it done so it can be driven and enjoyed again. I understand these are not your typical Camry, so they need to be out and driven so the next generation can appreciate them.
Old April 11th, 2021, 07:05 PM
Banned

Well welcome. Hope it all works out well for you. What colors does the 442 have?
Old April 11th, 2021, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Well welcome. Hope it all works out well for you. What colors does the 442 have?
It was covered in years of dust, but I'm fairly certain it was burgundy. Don't remember if there were stripes though.
Old April 11th, 2021, 09:30 PM
Administrator

I merged your 2 threads. Welcome to the site, sucking up to the boss by rebuilding his engine works...
Old April 12th, 2021, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I merged your 2 threads. Welcome to the site, sucking up to the boss by rebuilding his engine works...
Thanks, I wasn't sure the first one ever went through (lost wifi as it was submitting and couldn't find it once I got back on) so I'll probably delete the first out of redundancy.

I guess it does kinda look like that, doesn't it? Haha
Old April 12th, 2021, 03:23 AM

Welcome aboard
Old April 12th, 2021, 03:34 AM

Welcome to the forum. Good luck on your project. Lots of information here.

Wayne

Old April 12th, 2021, 08:08 AM

You should try to make the deal sooner rather than later.... you get that thing on the road for him and he may never give it up!!!

Welcome and good luck! There is nary a thing you could encounter that hasnt been covered by the experts here. Plenty of good info and support. If you get a chance, get a pic of the vin and cowl tag and folks could probably tell you most everything about the original car. FYI: there is a direct correlation between the number of pics you post and the amount of help you get...!!!!

Having the time of my life with my father's 69 442 W-30.... this is a great way to cure a mopar habit!!
Old April 12th, 2021, 09:39 AM

Believe me, I'm not a patient person so I've already been pushing to get something settled asap.

The wife made the mistake of telling me there was a chance..so I'm going to give it a good shot.

I'm definitely a picture person, just didn't get any while I was out there yesterday. If/when things go through, I'll be able to hit a forum as hard as I used to..ha.