The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New guy looking at a 68 Cutlass, need opinion

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2011, 11:56 AM

New guy looking at a 68 Cutlass, need opinion

Hello all,

I'm Dave. I am restoring a '66 Impala, but am now eyeing a 68 Cutlass. The car seems to be all in very good condition, even the original sheetmetal, EXCEPT the driver's side cowl.

As you can see from the photos below it was damaged at some point in it's life. It does not appear to have affected the rest of the car, but I would like to replace it. So my questions are:

1. Can this be easily cut out and replaced without affecting the integrity of the car? I can weld, so that isn't an issue.
2. Is there easy access to getting a replacement from a donor car? Would anyone have access to one or know where I could get one?

Your opinions would help a lot in my decision to buy.

Also what are some things to look for when checking out these cars (rust, weak frame points, hard to find parts)?

Thanks !!

Old October 10th, 2011, 05:59 AM

Anyone??
Old October 10th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by c-towndave

1. Can this be easily cut out and replaced without affecting the integrity of the car? I can weld, so that isn't an issue.
2. Is there easy access to getting a replacement from a donor car? Would anyone have access to one or know where I could get one?

Your opinions would help a lot in my decision to buy.

Also what are some things to look for when checking out these cars (rust, weak frame points, hard to find parts)?

Thanks !!
#1 - Easily, no! It can be done, however, me personnally, I would repair the dent as best I could since it is covered by the fender!

#2 - These cars are all over the place so I don't believe parts would be an issue! Acccess is always an issue, just don't set yourself up for a fire!

Good luck!
Old October 10th, 2011, 06:07 AM

I am by no means a body expert. Most of the damage would be covered by the fender. As for the top part I would say you could patch in a piece from a donor car. You need to find someone with a parts car. As all GM converts are prone to frame rot check the boxed frame for any holes or flaking inside.
Old October 10th, 2011, 01:34 PM

Thanks guys. Going to check it out Saturday. If all goes well, I'll be in the club.

Dave