The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New Forum Guy with kickdown bracket problem/question

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2013, 01:03 PM

New Forum Guy with kickdown bracket problem/question

Hello Gentlemen and Ladies,

Name is Rich and just picked up a 1968 cutlass S convertible 350 - 350TH.. The TH350 kickdown cable was just laying in the engine bay. I ordered the holley bracket 20-45 which they claim works for all gm but when I received it the bolt pattern on my stock manifold didn't coincide with the bracket. I would love to just get the stock one from back in the day but cant seem to locate one. Am I barking up the wrong tree. Any help would be appreciated.

Rich
Old October 26th, 2013, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by 68s350

Name is Rich and just picked up a 1968 cutlass S convertible 350 - 350TH.. The TH350 kickdown cable was just laying in the engine bay. I ordered the holley bracket 20-45 which they claim works for all gm but when I received it the bolt pattern on my stock manifold didn't coincide with the bracket. I would love to just get the stock one from back in the day but cant seem to locate one. Am I barking up the wrong tree. Any help would be appreciated.

Rich
Oldsmobile th350 kick down cable goes to the gas pedal not the carb. Look for an extra bracket just above where the throttle cable attaches.
Old October 27th, 2013, 07:35 AM

I thought the TH350 had a kickdown linkage and cable to carb and the TH400 had the gas pedal switch. am I mistaken? If so am I yanking off the kickdown cable hooked up to the TH350- and putting what in it's place?
Old October 27th, 2013, 09:16 AM

Chevy used linkage to the carb, Olds used a cable to the gas pedal for the th350. Both used an electric switch on the gas pedal for th400.
Old October 27th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Old(s) Fart

Rich
Here's a lesson learned: When a vendor says "fits all GM", he really means "fits all CHEVIES".

As for your 68 Cutlass, the TH350 was not released until midway through the 1969 model year. Apparently your car was a factory Jetaway car (as likely evidenced by the gear selector that only says "PRNDL") that was converted to a TH350. You will need a 1969-72 accelerator pedal for a TH350 car. You will also need to cut a second square hole directly below the accelerator cable hole in the firewall for the cable to pass through. If you have the correct kickdown cable on the trans, you will see a square feature molded into it near the accelerator end that snaps into the square hole you need to cut in the firewall.
Old October 28th, 2013, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by 4speed455
Chevy used linkage to the carb, Olds used a cable to the gas pedal for the th350. Both used an electric switch on the gas pedal for th400.

Are there vendors out there that would sell the correct cable to the gas pedal?
Old October 28th, 2013, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Here's a lesson learned: When a vendor says "fits all GM", he really means "fits all CHEVIES".

As for your 68 Cutlass, the TH350 was not released until midway through the 1969 model year. Apparently your car was a factory Jetaway car (as likely evidenced by the gear selector that only says "PRNDL") that was converted to a TH350. You will need a 1969-72 accelerator pedal for a TH350 car. You will also need to cut a second square hole directly below the accelerator cable hole in the firewall for the cable to pass through. If you have the correct kickdown cable on the trans, you will see a square feature molded into it near the accelerator end that snaps into the square hole you need to cut in the firewall.

Hey Joe,

On my gas pedal I do have a switch but no connector that I can see - So I suppose that is the wrong pedal and I will need a 69-72 pedal and cable to the th350. Who is a good source for these parts? Any help would be appreciated.
Old October 28th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Hey Joe,

On my gas pedal I do have a switch but no connector that I can see - So I suppose that is the wrong pedal and I will need a 69-72 pedal and cable to the th350. Who is a good source for these parts? Any help would be appreciated.
The Jetaway used an electric kickdown, just like a TH400. I'm not aware of anyone reproing the TH350 accelerator pedal. You'll need to find a used one. There is a plastic bushing that goes in the tab on the pedal arm and a stainless steel spring clip that pushed over the end of the kickdown cable and allows you to adjust the point at which it engages. The correct kickdown cable will have the square feature that snaps into the firewall that I mentioned above and the accelerator pedal end will have a swaged on metal rod about an inch or so long that fits through the plastic bushing and accepts the stainless steel spring clip.
Old October 28th, 2013, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The Jetaway used an electric kickdown, just like a TH400. I'm not aware of anyone reproing the TH350 accelerator pedal. You'll need to find a used one. There is a plastic bushing that goes in the tab on the pedal arm and a stainless steel spring clip that pushed over the end of the kickdown cable and allows you to adjust the point at which it engages. The correct kickdown cable will have the square feature that snaps into the firewall that I mentioned above and the accelerator pedal end will have a swaged on metal rod about an inch or so long that fits through the plastic bushing and accepts the stainless steel spring clip.
joe - any pics that you could send - worth a thousand words. What repro supplier do you guys use? is Fusnick a good source?
Old October 28th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Old(s) Fart

joe - any pics that you could send - worth a thousand words. What repro supplier do you guys use? is Fusnick a good source?
If you mean pics of the accelerator pedal setup, see this thread.
Old October 28th, 2013, 08:40 AM

Do you have an aftermarket carb? I used to use a generic bracket that attached to the carb mounting stud when running a Holley carb. That allowed me to hook up both throttle and kickdown at the carb (chevy-like). Went back to a QJet now and still working on getting the gas pedal setup as Joe described.
Old October 28th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Administrator

I wonder if it would be easier to just do it like a Chevelle at this point. He already has the bracket, so all he would need is a cable and carb stud.
Old October 28th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I wonder if it would be easier to just do it like a Chevelle at this point. He already has the bracket, so all he would need is a cable and carb stud.
Except he doesn't have the correct bracket:

I ordered the holley bracket 20-45 which they claim works for all gm but when I received it the bolt pattern on my stock manifold didn't coincide with the bracket.
Also, we still don't know which cable is already in that trans. If he's got the correct A-body kickdown cable, it won't work with the carb bracket.
Old October 28th, 2013, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by hookem horns
Do you have an aftermarket carb? I used to use a generic bracket that attached to the carb mounting stud when running a Holley carb. That allowed me to hook up both throttle and kickdown at the carb (chevy-like). Went back to a QJet now and still working on getting the gas pedal setup as Joe described.
the holley bracket that attaches to the carb bolt puts the cable in the wrong place - too far forward to operate correctly.
Old October 28th, 2013, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by hookem horns

sorry - stock quadrajet
Old October 28th, 2013, 12:12 PM

What repro supplier do you guys use? is Fusnick a good source?
anyone on this?