The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Need to move P/S pump

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2012, 05:18 AM

Need to move P/S pump

I have 67 442 conv 4 speed, with power steering and no air conditioning.
I want to add vintage air system. Their compressor mounting bracket goes on driver side --right where the power steering pump is. The bracket would work fine if the P/S pump were mounted lower like the 1968 and later cutlass.
The 1968 and newer pumps seem to be smaller which would help,too.
Can I take a pump and bracket from a 68 and newer cutlass, and bolt it directly to my 67 ?
I know that I could mount a factory type a/c compressor on the passenger side, but then I would have to remount the alternator, and change the engine pulleys from two groove to three grooves.
What's the best way to go ? Other than rolling down the windows and speeding up.

Last edited by Tedl; September 24th, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old August 28th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Tedl
I have 67 442 conv 4 speed, with power steering and no air conditioning.
I want to add vintage air system. Their compressor mounting bracket goes on driver side --right where the power steering pump is. The bracket would work fine if the P/S pump were mounted lower like the 1968 and later cutlass.
The 1968 and newer pumps seem to be smaller which would help,too.
Can I take a pump and bracket from a 68 and newer cutlass, and bolt it directly to my 67 ?
I know that I could mount a factory type a/c compressor on the passenger side, but then I would have to remount the alternator, and change the engine pulleys from two groove to three grooves.
What's the best way to go ? Other than rolling down the windows and speeding up.
The 64-67 frame is about 1.5" narrower than the 68-72 frames, thus the reason for the high-mount PS pump. The pump bodies are all the same, but the reservoirs are different and easily swapped. You can also use the smaller reservoirs with the remote fill tank as used on the mid-1980s full size pickups. Others have used the 68-up PS pump brackets on the early cars but the clearance sure looks tight to me. The steering box gets really close to the pump. Why can't you simply get the correct 67 A/C bracket set and adapt the Sanden compressor to the Olds brackets? Several vendors sell adapters that allow the Sanden compressor to bolt up to A6 compressor mounts.
Old August 28th, 2012, 07:27 AM

I have one of the smaller style pumps (it's shiny chrome) with the low mount bracket (black) that came off of my 66 442 that I will sell you for $60.00 plus shipping. I'll even include a useable belt. Send me a PM if interested.
Old August 28th, 2012, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tedl
Randy,
This is my first time using this forum, and don't know what I'm doing.
I am interested, but I don't know what a PM is or how to send you one.
Thanks,
Ted
Hi Ted,
I am fairly new too. A PM is a Private Message. Like sending an email to a member. To send a PM, just click on my user name and you will get a drop down box. The second selection is 'send a PM to RandyS'. Click on that and take it from there.