Move engine to drop transmission pan?

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2008, 02:51 PM

pops out until given gas

Today at a light, my '84 Delta 88 with a 307 popped what I think was into nutral. When I gave it gas it went back to normal. Is it anything to worry about?
Thanks
Old October 23rd, 2008, 03:40 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Your trans is probably slipping.
Didn't you lose reverse gear a few weeks ago as well?
Old October 23rd, 2008, 04:35 PM

Yes it did. I noticed that when parked on a slight downward incline.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 05:25 PM

Mine does that when it's low on fluid.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 05:57 PM

I don't know if this helps or not. I was experiencing similar problems,probably not to the extent that you are describing though. I dropped the pan and changed out the filter, problem cleaned up after that. The unit will need to be rebuilt(excessive material in the pan), but seemed to clean up its operation for now. This is on a th400 in a truck so it may not correlate. I am assuming you have a metric200, which is not as robust a tranny.
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Just the facts...

you might want to check your tranny linkage for mis-adjustment or looseness. also check your motor and tranny mounts for same.

bill
Old October 24th, 2008, 02:02 AM

Thanks guys. I want to drop the pan, but I'm worried about having to move the engine first. I'm not sure how to do that but I know the thing could use a good cleaning. I dropped a oil pan on an 88 a while back and the crud in the bottom was way too much and the filter needed replacing because of the buildup. I can imagine what the tran would be like.

Any help on the motor moving would be appreciated. I will move this up to the small block heading.

Last edited by ztim; October 24th, 2008 at 02:03 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old October 24th, 2008, 02:09 AM

Move engine to drop transmission pan?

I am moving this up here from the tran section now where this would be more appropriate.

1984 Delta 88 with a 307 4brl. The transmission seems to be jumping out of gear parking on a slight downhill slope. When put in reverse it will pop back in. The other day it popped out at a light then when given gas it popped back in gear again. I was informed the pan may need cleaning for one thing, but was afraid I would have to move or prop up the engine to get it out of the way.

What would be the best way to do this? Thanks.
Old October 24th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Past Administrator

On most rear drive cars you don't have to move/prop up the engine to drop the transmission pan. If you don't have four good jack stands buy some, now is the time. Jack up the car on a level concrete or blacktop surface, rocks are not safe and the kill you back. Use the four jack stands at the four corners of the car and check the car for stability after you get them up by leaning on the side of the car and shoving it. If it is stable and just gives a little bit then you are good. Some people use only two jack stands in the front but four are better and some day you will need them anyway. Some people use a creeper but I don't because it decreases the clearance you have to work with, instead get a nice canvas tarp, or large section of plywood (careful for splinters!), or a pad. I found a black 4x4 pad intended for use as a gym pad that is about 1/2 inch thick, it is great and cleans easily. Anyway, you have to be able to crawl under the car and see all the pan bolts all the way around the perimeter. If you can get to all of them then you are good. Unless the car was modified with a drain plug you will have to loosen all the bolts just a little bit but don't break the seal or move the pan. Have a wide shallow drain pan ready like the kind for changing oil. Place it at the corner you choose to break loose first and then loosen the bolts at that corner more but not completely off, usually about six to eight bolts are enough on the corresponding sides. Move from directly underneath the pan to the side and with a large screwdriver or paint scraper wedge between the pan and the transmission and break the seal. Be ready for Niagara Falls as all the fluid will come pouring out that corner. Let it drain completely, go have a coke or something. It may be good to have a second catch pan ready but you shouldn't get more than five or six quarts, most of it will be in the converter. When it is done draining, loosen all the bolts and remove the pan.

With all that said. All you may accomplish by doing this is to drain the fluids in the pan, clean off the inside of the bottom of the pan, replace the gasket, and replace the fluid. I am not sure if this will fix your transmission problem though.

edit: I merged your threads for you.
Old October 24th, 2008, 05:47 AM

When you take the pan off make sure the new filter and the bottom of the transmission are CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN! Automatic transmissions are not tolerant of dirt and nastiness.
Old October 24th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ztim
I am moving this up here from the tran section now where this would be more appropriate.

1984 Delta 88 with a 307 4brl. The transmission seems to be jumping out of gear parking on a slight downhill slope. When put in reverse it will pop back in. The other day it popped out at a light then when given gas it popped back in gear again. I was informed the pan may need cleaning for one thing, but was afraid I would have to move or prop up the engine to get it out of the way.

What would be the best way to do this? Thanks.
Certainly try cleaning the pan and changing the filter, but don't be surprised if you find it's time for a new 200-4R trans. I had two go bad within 18 months. In stock condition they do not hold up and they are very sensitive to heat and lack of frequent fluid changes.
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:06 PM

Thanks folks. I'll give it a try as soon as I feel a bit better. Just had my second to last chemotherapy on Wednesday and will feel good enough in a week and a half or before my next (last).