The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

My 67 Turnpike Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:13 PM

Location: I live in CO, 15 mi. East of Monument between Denver and Colorado Springs.
My 67 Turnpike Cruiser

Hi again. New to the forum, been away at the SHOT Show in Las Vagas for the past week. I have a 1967 Cutlass Supreme sedan (post) although I think they called them both coupes. It is white with a black vinyl top, black interior, bench front seat (correct for this model, I'm told), automatic (darn), AC, and most interesting (and the reason I kept it stock) it has the fairly rare Turnpike Cruising engine package. In case you haven't heard of it, like I hadn't, they took the 400 HC 442 engine and changed out to a 2 barrel carb. They also changed to a taller rear end for "even better" millage. Only year they had the HC engine. Dropped the compression in 68 and the option in 69. Do you think anyone wanted one? Me neither, that's why they are so rare. I have been picking at restoring it for several years and learned alot. One question for the brain trust; Does anyone know if a right hand outside mirror was an option in 67? I really miss not having one when I drive it. I have been looking for a look-alike for a long time. I tried to upload some pictures so we'll see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cutlass-5 001.jpg (72.0 KB, 33 views)
Cutlass-4 001.jpg (79.5 KB, 28 views)
Cutlass-3 001.jpg (72.0 KB, 42 views)
Cutlass-2 001.jpg (75.3 KB, 44 views)
Cutlass-1 001.jpg (94.7 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by vintovka; January 22nd, 2013 at 08:15 PM. Reason: wrong pictures, not current. Before top replaced..
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:34 PM

Hi vintovka: I own a '67 Delta 88 Custom Holiday Coupe. As far as I have learned from here, is that the right hand mirror was a dealer installed option.
Some people on the forum have stated that the rt hand mirrors are still available on ebay (for high prices). I have a mirror on my right hand door.
I don't know if it is the proper one or not, but it fits and looks the same as the left hand mirror and it does the job.

BTW, Your '67 Cutlass Supreme is lookin' good! Thanks for the pics.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 09:04 PM

I too was at the SHOT show, and I think the TC is a very interesting car. The RH outside mirror was an accessory pkg. #982750 for 66 F85s, and 982858 for 67 F85s.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 03:44 AM
Getting There

welcome to the site nice looking Post car
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:28 AM

Nice - if you're looking for better mileage than you;re already getting, throw a Q-jet on there, and tighten the secondary air door.
Those small primaries will really make a difference, [at least 3 MPG] and better responce, unless you open the secondaries!
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Nice car, welcome.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:25 AM

The Turnpike cruiser was a great option. I have owned one and seen in person two others. Mine was a bench seat both of the other two had bucket seats and consoles. All were automatics as I am sure you have learned. It was a great package.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 09:38 AM
Trying to remember member

Yes, both were called coupes. The hardtop is the Cutlass Supreme Holiday Coupe and yours is the Cutlass Supreme Sports Coupe. Bucket seats were standard in your model, and the bench was an option. You can find that info and more in the '67 SPECS booklet available at Wild About cars.
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...aldisplayed=50

There were approx 2250 Turnpike Cruisers (L66) made in '67.

Wild About Cars. http://wildaboutcars.com. An information supersource, especially Oldsmobile. More Olds content than anywhere else on the internet and continuing to grow.
You'll find Chassis Service Manuals, Product Information Manuals (AKA Assembly Manuals), Inspector's Manuals, and other documents that will contain this and much much more.
Dealer Brochures, magazine ads and articles, and the Automotive History Preservation Society library growing daily.
Free to join, free to learn.