The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Looking for Advice

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2014, 09:24 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Although its somewhat of a let down about the W30 status you still have a nice sharp looking piece of automotive history. If in fact the vin starts out as 344 that indicates 442 status. Though not as rare as one of 563, W30s, it is one of 5302 total (34487, coupes) produced for 71. Thats considered to be on the lower end of production which still makes it a desirable car.
Your vin says its a true 442. 71 was the last year of the 68-71 models in which the 442 was a separate model and not a trim/drivetrain option on a Cutlass which was the case before and aft of these years.
Same things still apply regarding the parts. Save all of them. Now this car may very well have some true factory W30 parts on it. Said parts are in high demand and the prices reflect that accordingly. Trans, engine, heads, rear end, red fender wells, carb, real OAI factory hood and air cleaner assembly, 442 grills, wing on the trunk etc...Someone could have stripped a wrecked or rotten W30 and installed all the goodies in your 442? Parts are being cloned too so caution applies here as well. Most of us here can tell the real stuff from the re-stamped forgeries.
So heres my advice...Insure it with a classic car insurance company as a 71, 442. Its value is somewhere between 20 & 35K...IMO. 35K is for a real and I mean real clean rust free example. Have it professionally appraised by an appraiser keenly familiar with Muscle cars. Keep it in good shape with regular maintenance. Store it properly (clean, dry, rodent free garage with stabilizer in the gas) Keep it out of the rain and snow. Drive it, be proud of it and enjoy it as your dad would have. You still have a very nice car.
ps autocolorlibrary.com has the paint exterior & interior codes
Old May 15th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Same things still apply regarding the parts. Save all of them. Now this car may very well have some true factory W30 parts on it. Said parts are in high demand and the prices reflect that accordingly. Trans, engine, heads, rear end, red fender wells, carb, real OAI factory hood and air cleaner assembly, 442 grills, wing on the trunk etc...Someone could have stripped a wrecked or rotten W30 and installed all the goodies in your 442? Parts are being cloned too so caution applies here as well. Most of us here can tell the real stuff from the re-stamped forgeries.
The problem is that the car has obviously been subject to significant mods in the past - vinyl top removed, complete repaint, etc. Without knowing what parts on the car are original, which ones are true rare factory parts that were added, and which ones are not, it's difficult to make a blanket statement.

We don't know if it's the original engine and heads, a real W-motor (of unknown year), or what. If the car does have an OW trans, that clearly isn't original, but it's worth something.
Old May 15th, 2014, 02:13 PM

yep, interior being an off white color.....

Originally Posted by megb442
Joe Interior code says TR 937? 1970Blueolds442 say that code is Parchment, I think that the off white he mentioned was referring to the interior color. I thought parchment was more of a gold or champagne.
Old May 15th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 1970blueolds442
yep, interior being an off white color.....
Correct. Parchment is an off-white. Makes sense with the white vinyl top.
Old May 15th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Administrator

I wouldn't be too disappointed, you have something to be proud of. That is a very nice car and hopefully you will have it in tip top enjoyment condition soon.
Old May 15th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Old School Olds

Meg, your video homework
is due tomorrow morning...

A walk around the car would be
awesome. We can help figure out
the noises on idel and a little revving
I would wager. You already get an A+
on just having this beauty.
The latter is for extra points...

Last edited by tru-blue 442; May 15th, 2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old May 16th, 2014, 07:40 AM

Hey guys got a chance to finally get my car fired up and running. Turns out it was two problems, we were able to get a better listen to where exactly the tick/knocks were coming from through the suggestion of a homemade stethoscope. Luckily it is just a exhaust leak and lifter getting stuck. Thank you all for all your help, I was able to learn more about this car in a few days then anyone in my family ever knew! What a great source this site is!
Old May 16th, 2014, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Meg, your video homework
is due tomorrow morning...

A walk around the car would be
awesome. We can help figure out
the noises on idel and a little revving
I would wager. You already get an A+
on just having this beauty.
The latter is for extra points...

Sorry couldn't get you a video today though it is pouring here! This weekend for sure
Old May 16th, 2014, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Although its somewhat of a let down about the W30 status you still have a nice sharp looking piece of automotive history. If in fact the vin starts out as 344 that indicates 442 status. Though not as rare as one of 563, W30s, it is one of 5302 total (34487, coupes) produced for 71. Thats considered to be on the lower end of production which still makes it a desirable car.
Your vin says its a true 442. 71 was the last year of the 68-71 models in which the 442 was a separate model and not a trim/drivetrain option on a Cutlass which was the case before and aft of these years.
So heres my advice...Insure it with a classic car insurance company as a 71, 442. Its value is somewhere between 20 & 35K...IMO. 35K is for a real and I mean real clean rust free example. Have it professionally appraised by an appraiser keenly familiar with Muscle cars. Keep it in good shape with regular maintenance. Store it properly (clean, dry, rodent free garage with stabilizer in the gas) Keep it out of the rain and snow. Drive it, be proud of it and enjoy it as your dad would have. You still have a very nice car.
ps autocolorlibrary.com has the paint exterior & interior codes

I was thinking the same thing about someone modifying using a wrecked W-30. Would make sense. Now that we know more we will be taking the time to try and find out which things have been replaced and which are original to the car. I still have the stock rims, although they are not on the car they are stored safely.

I have it insured with Hagerty for some where around 20K, and it is currently in a temperature controlled garage. Going to head down to the car show this weekend and ask around to some of the local guys for a very reputable mechanic that I can trust.
Old May 16th, 2014, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Meg, Meg, Meg, one of the Joys of owning an older car is working on it. They are very easy and most projects just require basic hand tools. Why pay big $$'s for things that you can learn to do on your own.
Old May 16th, 2014, 08:03 AM

I would be curious to see if the engine was swapped for a W30 as the trans was. Does the intake manifold look to be silver/aluminum and stamped 455 or W30? Also on the drivers side cylinder head there is a casting letter by the 1st spark plug hole. A w30 head for 1971 would have an H cast just to the left of that spark plug hole.
Old May 16th, 2014, 08:23 AM

I think the engine is the same bc a few years back my boyfriend checked a number (it was the same number one of you suggested we check the other day), and it did match the serial number to the car. Not sure about any of the other parts I will certainly have him look at the casting letter on the cylinder tomorrow as well as the intake manifold.

@oldcutlass, I do take pride in helping work on my car, my brother and boyfriend have done almost all the repairs/maintenance to the car since I assumed ownership. While I may not physically help them, I am always there watching and learning. I want to know as much as I can about it the car. They actually suggested both of the problem we determined but as a female I worry a lot and need a little reassurance. Hence knowing a good mechanic in my area will help significantly for any future concerns. But I do prefer we do the work ourselves as much as possible bc I know they truly care about the car as much as I do.
Old May 16th, 2014, 08:43 AM

A regular 455 engine for the 442 in 71 would have a G cast in that location on the head.
Old May 16th, 2014, 08:46 AM
71 cutlass convertible

What part of Delaware are you in? I'm on the Eastern Shore outside of Easton. I will be in OC on Sat. Maybe I will see you around?
There are 2 mechanics around me that I would trust. Both have and built several old cars. One is into Buick Gran Sports the other is more of a hot rodder both have good shops. I use them when I get over my head.
If you want there numbers shoot me a PM.

Larry
Old May 16th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Old School Olds

Meg, we are here to help out
as well. Put your worries aside
and enjoy it!