The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Looking for Advice

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2014, 08:58 AM

Looking for Advice

Hi guys this is my first time on here I have a 71 Olds 442 W-30 that I inherited from my father a few years back, has ran good for several years and we keep her up to date on maintenance. Last year I noticed a knocking sound coming from the engine. I am a little concerned about driving it and damaging it. Having trouble finding some one who will look at it for me. Any suggestions on problem areas I should check first.
Attached Images

Last edited by megb442; May 14th, 2014 at 09:00 AM. Reason: change heading
Old May 14th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by megb442
Hi guys this is my first time on here I have a 71 Olds 442 W-30 that I inherited from my father a few years back, has ran good for several years and we keep her up to date on maintenance. Last year I noticed a knocking sound coming from the engine. I am a little concerned about driving it and damaging it. Having trouble finding some one who will look at it for me. Any suggestions on problem areas I should check first.
Welcome. That's a valuable model. Unfortunately, a "knocking sound" is pretty difficult to diagnose over the interweb. It could range from something as easy to fix as a cracked flexplate to a spun bearing requiring an engine rebuild. Where are you located? That would help people suggest possible mechanics.
Old May 14th, 2014, 09:49 AM

Hi, i agree w/ joe....i had knocking as well....it was a cracked flexplate, which was an easy fix....then i spun 2 bearings.....had to rebuilt the motor
Old May 14th, 2014, 09:50 AM

Lower Delaware
Old May 14th, 2014, 09:53 AM

the knocking sound is more prevalent when you first start the car up and when it is ideling, as it runs it seems to get quieter.
Old May 14th, 2014, 09:58 AM

the knocking sound is more prevalent when you first start the car up and when it is ideling, as it runs it seems to get quieter.
You have a rare and valueable car if its a real W car. You would not want to ruin that engine block if it is original so you should not run it till it is checked out. Am in NJ, if I was closer I would listen to the noise and try and diagnose for you. Hopefully someone will. How many miles are on it?
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Old(s) Fart

You might consider contacting the Delaware Valley Olds Club chapter of OCA. They might have a member near you who can listen and advise.

You might want to start with chapter president Jeff Antonucci. jlantonucci@comcast.net
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Old School Olds

Any way you can post a video
of it ideling? You tube perhaps.
Congrats and welcome. I agree
with others, if original, very valuable.
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:43 AM

Thank you, I believe it has around 134,000 original miles. I keep it in a garage at my moms house, were are going by there today so I will try and take a video and see if I can find a way to upload it tonight or tomorrow. I really appreciate the advice, we have had so many suggestions of what it could be I just don't want to start replacing everything if I don't have to.
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Olds Wagonmaster

"Knocks" are very difficult to diagnose without actually hearing and seeing the engine. And as another user put it, can be a very easy fix to something bad.

I had a knocking after a fresh rebuild and turned out to be a "fuel explosion" from incorrect retarded timing. Advanced the timing a bit beyond specs from the book (due to HEI ignition) and it ran smooth and right as rain.

Ye might want to check the timing first.
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Olds Wagonmaster

Oh! And what an absolutely gorgeous car!
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:45 AM

Also any way of determining value of a car like this, I have been approached to sell it several times, but I absolutely love it and have to much of a sentimental attachment to it. But even when insuring it I had no idea what number to put on it?
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Arrowstorm
Oh! And what an absolutely gorgeous car!

Thank you!
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
You might consider contacting the Delaware Valley Olds Club chapter of OCA. They might have a member near you who can listen and advise.

You might want to start with chapter president Jeff Antonucci. jlantonucci@comcast.net

I sent an email to Jeff, hopefully he knows someone close by, this weekend is Crusin in Ocean City, MD and were only about 20 mins from there so maybe even know someone that might be coming into town just for the weekend.
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:16 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Definitely do not run or drive it until the problems diagnosed. Question is, is it a knock or a tick. A tick could be upper end noise such as a sticky lifter. They tend to stick from long hibernations.They can quiet up after a few moments and this certainly isn't a major concern compared to a rod or wrist pin. Generally a rod knock will not go quiet.
Welcome to Classic Olds. We are here to help. Nice ride. Dont see many white ones. Is this a stick or automatic car? Do you have documentation to prove its W30 lineage?
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Definitely do not run or drive it until the problems diagnosed. Question is, is it a knock or a tick. A tick could be upper end noise such as a sticky lifter. They tend to stick from long hibernations.They can quiet up after a few moments and this certainly isn't a major concern compared to a rod or wrist pin. Generally a rod knock will not go quiet.
Welcome to Classic Olds. We are here to help. Nice ride. Dont see many white ones. Is this a stick or automatic car? Do you have documentation to prove its W30 lineage?

I think it is kind of more of a tick, and my boyfriend did suggest the lifters. We were going to try and take another listen tonight. When my dad purchased the car it didn't really come with a whole lot of documentation. It does have the red fender wells and the OW in the vin. I used to take it down to OC, MD where they have shows and every car guy that looked at believed it to be a true W-30. As for it being white, I don't know of the history but some people have suggested it may have been repainted. And it is an automatic.
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:25 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Thank you, I believe it has around 134,000 original miles. I keep it in a garage at my moms house, were are going by there today so I will try and take a video and see if I can find a way to upload it tonight or tomorrow. I really appreciate the advice, we have had so many suggestions of what it could be I just don't want to start replacing everything if I don't have to.
Good move. And if you do need to replace anything dont turn in the cores (water pumps, carb, dist, starter etc...) and keep any and all the original take off parts together for the future. These OEM parts will add value to the car especially if its a genuin W30. All these parts can be rebuilt so you can retain the original castings. My 2 cents.
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

...and the OW in the vin.
Well, there won't be any "OW" in the VIN. What you are probably thinking of is the "OW" code on the automatic trans, which was only used on the W-30. If the VIN derivative stamped on the trans matches the VIN of the car, that's proof of reality.
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Well, there won't be any "OW" in the VIN. What you are probably thinking of is the "OW" code on the automatic trans, which was only used on the W-30. If the VIN derivative stamped on the trans matches the VIN of the car, that's proof of reality.

Ok, I will look tonight and see what it says. I actually never questioned whether it was a true W or not, I know a lot of people creates clones so I understand the need to make absolutely sure it is 100% authentic
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:43 AM

Ok, I know a lot of people creates clones so I understand the need to make absolutely sure it is 100% authentic
It would be for your benefit to be sure as many Many dollars are between the two in value.
Old May 14th, 2014, 12:40 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

I think it is kind of more of a tick, and my boyfriend did suggest the lifters. We were going to try and take another listen tonight. When my dad purchased the car it didn't really come with a whole lot of documentation. It does have the red fender wells and the OW in the vin. I used to take it down to OC, MD where they have shows and every car guy that looked at believed it to be a true W-30. As for it being white, I don't know of the history but some people have suggested it may have been repainted. And it is an automatic.
OW refers to the transmission code. That wont be in the vin its on a tag attached to the passenger side of the trans. However a partial vin will be on the transmission case pan rail(drivers side). If it matches the vin your on your way to W30 proof. The vin will tell you its a 442 by the first 3 numbers...344. If there is a M in the vin thats good too as all W30 were built in Lansing Mi. Unfortunately paperwork is the only way to truly verify W30 status as all the W30 parts can be bolted on to a 442 or even a Cutlass. Looking for the elusive line cards or build sheets, if still in the car is one way of proving lineage. They can be found under the rugs, in the seat backs, in the seat springs, behind the dash, under the head liner above the gas tank etc...or not at all. If you do decide to treasure hunt be real careful when removing the fragile paper. If you do find it get it out of the elements and store it safely.

Post pics of the cowl tag so we can decipher it for you. It will list the cars original color and some options etc...

Check out this link for more info.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...fake-real.html

Note I got distracted and by the time I was able to post this some of your answers were already addressed.
Old May 14th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Old School Olds

School's in session Meg.
This is going to be fun for you. And me.
Again, congrats. We need more pics too!
Old May 14th, 2014, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
OW refers to the transmission code. That wont be in the vin its on a tag attached to the passenger side of the trans. However a partial vin will be on the transmission case pan rail(drivers side). If it matches the vin your on your way to W30 proof. The vin will tell you its a 442 by the first 3 numbers...344. If there is a M in the vin thats good too as all W30 were built in Lansing Mi. Unfortunately paperwork is the only way to truly verify W30 status as all the W30 parts can be bolted on to a 442 or even a Cutlass. Looking for the elusive line cards or build sheets, if still in the car is one way of proving lineage. They can be found under the rugs, in the seat backs, in the seat springs, behind the dash, under the head liner above the gas tank etc...or not at all. If you do decide to treasure hunt be real careful when removing the fragile paper. If you do find it get it out of the elements and store it safely.

Post pics of the cowl tag so we can decipher it for you. It will list the cars original color and some options etc...

Check out this link for more info.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...fake-real.html

Note I got distracted and by the time I was able to post this some of your answers were already addressed.

Looks like I have a lot of homework tonight haha! I know for a fact that it has the 344 in the VIN 1st 3. I have seen that online before as something to check for. I know for a fact it is a 442 and not a cutlass. I will also take some pics tonight along with a video of it running so well see what we find out! Thank you all so much I am really excited to finally have some help in finding out more about her.
Old May 14th, 2014, 05:13 PM
Hookers under Hood

Awesome car Meg, It could be just an exhaust manifold crack/gasket leak and sound like a lifter tick. Enjoy your new homework!!!

Last edited by 76olds; May 14th, 2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old May 14th, 2014, 06:56 PM

I learned recently that cutting open the oil filter will help tell what's going on in the motor. Summit racing sells a filter cutter for around 35.00. If you find a lot of debris in there it is a sign of a problem. Motors can be ruined without you even knowing it is happening but checking the filter at oil changes is a way of early detection. Better to find it sooner than later,(later =loss of original motor block and major value). That car is awesome and although the knock you hear may not mean catastrophe it is best to be safe. Have a mechanic you trust check it out before running it too much. Good luck with it and congratulations on owning it.
Old May 15th, 2014, 06:07 AM

Ok so last night I went and got some pictures of the car. Unfortunately my brother had been over recently and apparently left the battery hooked up so it was dead and I just didn't have the time to charge it and fire it up. I did get the vin and the plate info by the drive window.
The VIN is 334871R108528
the plate reads
Body by Fisher
ST 71-34487 R00586 BDY
TR 937 68A PNT
12A755
Old May 15th, 2014, 06:08 AM

I can't get my photos to upload here so I am going to add them to my gallery for you guys to see
Old May 15th, 2014, 06:34 AM

VIN Decoder Says this
Year:1971Division:OldsmobileSeries:442Body:2dr Holiday HardtopPlant:Arlington, TexasSerial
Number:

BC it says Arlington TX does that mean somebody rebuilt it to look like a W before we bought it?
Old May 15th, 2014, 06:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

Ok so last night I went and got some pictures of the car. Unfortunately my brother had been over recently and apparently left the battery hooked up so it was dead and I just didn't have the time to charge it and fire it up. I did get the vin and the plate info by the drive window.
The VIN is 334871R108528
the plate reads
Body by Fisher
ST 71-34487 R00586 BDY
TR 937 68A PNT
12A755
Well, bad news. The "R" in the seventh position of the VIN indicates that this car was built in the Arlington, TX assembly plant. Real W-30s were only built at the Lansing, MI plant, and that letter would have to be an "M".

I assume your VIN is a typo above, as the first three characters of the VIN would be "344", not "334". The cowl tag does show the "344", so it's a real 442, but not a real W-30. Sorry.
Old May 15th, 2014, 06:43 AM

Just a little heartbroken to find that out after all these years... but either way I still love the car! And yes that was a typo.
Old May 15th, 2014, 06:47 AM

Can you guys decipher the rest of the Cowl. Any idea what the original color was?
Old May 15th, 2014, 07:16 AM
Old(s) Fart

Can you guys decipher the rest of the Cowl. Any idea what the original color was?
68A means Sable Brown Metallic (68) with a white vinyl top (A)
Old May 15th, 2014, 07:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

The 12A means that the car was built the first week (A) of December (12), 1970.
Old May 15th, 2014, 07:37 AM

How about 937 for the interior code I can't find that anywhere online. And wow Sable Brown with a white vinyl top, sounds completely different then what it is now. Someone certainly spent a lot of time and money to change it over at some point.
Old May 15th, 2014, 07:49 AM

Parchment

How about 937 for the interior code I can't find that anywhere online. And wow Sable Brown with a white vinyl top, sounds completely different then what it is now. Someone certainly spent a lot of time and money to change it over at some point.
Old May 15th, 2014, 08:04 AM

Ok so that's like a gold or champagne right? Huh wish there was someway to trace the history of this car and find out what happened to along the way, bc they changed so much.
When my dad purchased it he was told it was all original. It was a local small dealership, so they obviously did not do their homework when they purchased it. It so crazy to think of the transformation it went through.
Either way I am happy they did it bc it really is a good looking car and other then my mysterious tick/knock it has run great for me. Hopefully we will have more time to dig into some of your suggestions tonight and will update with my findings
Old May 15th, 2014, 08:12 AM

id say like an off white color

Ok so that's like a gold or champagne right? Huh wish there was someway to trace the history of this car and find out what happened to along the way, bc they changed so much.
When my dad purchased it he was told it was all original. It was a local small dealership, so they obviously did not do their homework when they purchased it. It so crazy to think of the transformation it went through.
Either way I am happy they did it bc it really is a good looking car and other then my mysterious tick/knock it has run great for me. Hopefully we will have more time to dig into some of your suggestions tonight and will update with my findings
Old May 15th, 2014, 08:25 AM

Here's code 68. Now i'm in the mood for a Hershey bar :

rev1-14.jpg
Old May 15th, 2014, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by 72 w29 all green
Here's code 68. Now i'm in the mood for a Hershey bar :

Wow that is VERY different.....
Old May 15th, 2014, 08:29 AM

Joe Interior code says TR 937? 1970Blueolds442 say that code is Parchment, I think that the off white he mentioned was referring to the interior color. I thought parchment was more of a gold or champagne.

Quick Reply: Looking for Advice