The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Just starting to enjoy my Grandfather's 1959 Olds

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2019, 06:18 PM

Just starting to enjoy my Grandfather's 1959 Olds

Beginning to enjoy the car i learned to drive on many, many years ago. My Grandfather bought this beauty new in 1959 and it has been in the family ever since.
It is a Dynamic 88 Sedan. Beautiful original condition with 38,000 original miles. Two tone Emerald Mist over Frost Blue. Just coming out of extended storage and seems to be running well but will probably need some minor things before we can hit the road with it.
If anyone has some suggestions in getting this car back to it''s original glory we'd love to hear from you.
Old July 9th, 2019, 06:35 PM

Welcome! Let’s see some pics.
Old July 9th, 2019, 06:48 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Welcome, check over brakes, hoses etc. Anything that can rot probably will need to be at least checked if not changed. Oh and we need pics.
Old July 9th, 2019, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, lets see it.
Old July 10th, 2019, 05:15 AM

Welcome, I bet it's a cool car.
Old July 10th, 2019, 12:57 PM

Welcome! Can't wait to see it!!
Old July 11th, 2019, 05:57 PM

Just downloaded some pictures--I think. Learning this site.
Old July 11th, 2019, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Nice car
Old July 11th, 2019, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by jbordinger
Beginning to enjoy the car i learned to drive on many, many years ago. My Grandfather bought this beauty new in 1959 and it has been in the family ever since.
It is a Dynamic 88 Sedan. Beautiful original condition with 38,000 original miles. Two tone Emerald Mist over Frost Blue. Just coming out of extended storage and seems to be running well but will probably need some minor things before we can hit the road with it.
If anyone has some suggestions in getting this car back to it''s original glory we'd love to hear from you.
Lucky you!! What a fantastic family heirloom. Way better than some crappy crystal and plate setting! One of the few serious regrets in my life was over my Grandmother's 1950 Desoto. Her father bought it brand new and she inherited it from him. She absolutely adored it and named it Betsy. However my grandfather didn't care for it that much and so when it became clear that they only needed one car once he retired, they decided to get rid of it. I had an interest in vintage cars and they offered it to me, but it wasn't my favorite car and it needed a complete exterior restoration as it lived it's entire life outside. Lots of surface rust, but no rot because they lived in Los Angeles. I turned it down and eventually they sold it to a guy that said he was going to part it out.

I have regretted ever since. I should have kept that car in the family. I do have the photos they took the day my Great Grandfather brought it home from the dealer though, so that's something.

As to your car, I have revived many cars from deep storage and even just abandonment and I can say that you need to flush and change ALL the fluids. Just do them all. Oil, transmission fluid, radiator coolant, brake fluid, power steering (if it has this), differential fluid and last... gas. Get some new gas in there! IMO, preferably Chevron if you can get it where you live. If it running and driving well, then just inspect anything rubber. Tires, hoses, belts, etc. Also have a look at the wiring. Old wire insulation can get brittle and crumble off, reveling bare copper. This leads to corrosion and resistance. Hopefully it all looks good. Oh yeah, do a complete grease job too.

After that, enjoy your family connection!
Old July 12th, 2019, 02:51 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Very nice car. You would be wise to get a shop manual in addition to what Daiv8or said ^^^^.

Enjoy!!
Old July 12th, 2019, 09:20 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Very nice. It is good to see a nice clean example of the kind of cars that most Americans were driving back in the day. Nothing fancy or flashy, just a nice car. I love the colors.