The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

I love Oldsmobiles

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2009, 08:23 PM

I love Oldsmobiles

I am new and wanted to introduce myself to everyone. My name is Will and I have a maroon 1982 98 Regency with a rebuilt 1973 Olds 350. I love my land-yacht.
Old September 7th, 2009, 09:10 PM

Welcome to the forum. I'm also a newbie.
Old September 8th, 2009, 02:17 AM

welcome. my dad and i both have had early 1980s 88s and 98s. they sure are nice driving cars. my dad always adds a sway bar to the back of his, makes for better turning. we usually get the diesel cars but had some gas ones.
Old September 8th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO, we can use more members that own eighties and up models.
Old September 8th, 2009, 06:59 AM

Talking Welcome to CO

This is a great place for information and help. Glad you joined the olds family
Old September 8th, 2009, 07:13 AM

Welcome. We look forward to seeing pics of your land yacht.
Old September 8th, 2009, 09:14 AM

You guys are great!! I will prob be bombing you guys with questions.

I will get some pics up tonight. I love my 98. My first mistake was taking the q-jet off for the fancy edelbrock #1407 750cfm. My Olds wants her original q-jet back. Her computer isnt happy. I am hoping to get 2-3 more mpg when i switch back.
Old September 8th, 2009, 09:18 AM

Id love some more privledges (sp) so I can write much more, sirs.
Old September 8th, 2009, 09:24 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Hang in there your wish will come true soon.
Old September 8th, 2009, 10:32 AM

Thank you good sir. Thats a beautiful white Olds. I wish I had found this site a few years ago.
Old September 8th, 2009, 10:41 AM

If you replaced your Q-jet with an Edelbrock carburetor without removing all of your emissions equipment you will have multiple problems. If you want decent gas mileage and aren't concerned about high performance go back to your stock carburetor.
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome Oldsmobilliam! You'll find this site and these people very nice and helpful! Glad you joined! Hey, I work at a steel company in Ohio, and we sell to Appleton Marine!!
Old September 8th, 2009, 02:55 PM

Thank you madame! There seem to be many Olds lovers in Ohio.
Old September 9th, 2009, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
If you replaced your Q-jet with an Edelbrock carburetor without removing all of your emissions equipment you will have multiple problems. If you want decent gas mileage and aren't concerned about high performance go back to your stock carburetor.
I removed all the emissions equipment during the motor change. Well I still have the EGR and PCV stuff but the air pump and all that other bs is gone. THe catalytic converter is also gone.

I know I have the C3 (CCC) computer and my ECM likes some feedback from the electronic q-jet. I think that 750 cfm is too much for a mildly modified 350. I believe the q-jet is about 670 cfm and ive had several people tell me it worked just fine on 403's, 425's, and even 455's. I have read also that the q-jet sends a signal to the ecm which energizes a solonoid in the tranny to lock up the T.C. The 'Brock is pretty and such but my 98 misses her good ole reliable q-jet. If anyone has a good electronic q-jet I'd prob be willing to trade the #1407 'Brock.

Its taken me a little time to realize that my 5,160 lb land-yacht just isnt meant to be a "hot-rod" but more of a "luxury-crusier". I think my rear-end is about 2.73. I need to open it up to be sure. I kind of wish I had dropped a 455 in there instead of the 350. But as the 1973 350 was still a solid main web and has a decent amount of nickel in the cast iron, I still have some room to add some power. It was bored .030 over and has a Mondello cam...not sure which one as the guy I bought it from died but it has a rouch idle but enough vacuum to operate the power brakes without issue. He also put the A4 aluminum intake on it, with the ports enlarged and matched and whatnot. I have read that the #8 heads are the best-flowing of the smogger heads; I hope to get some 7's or i think 7a's at some point.

I didnt know much about cars at all until the past 4 or 5 years. My dad and I spent about 10 years "estranged" and it was a wonderful bonding experience when we did the motor-swap. My car now has a lot of sentimental value to me. Actually, I have asked the wife to bury me in it when I die, the front of the 98 straight down so the world can kiss my a$$!! Oldsmobilliam is quite silly and a lil crazy, all!!
Old September 9th, 2009, 09:47 AM

Talking

I do have a question that I dont think belongs here but I hope to have some feedback as I want to do this job soon.

How hard is it to change a freeze plug? Its the rear-most one on the drivers side, closest to the oil pan. Do I have to remove the exhaust manifold to access it? If so, ive read one can grind down the egr bumps in said manifold to improve the Rocket's breathing. Does everyone agree?

Thanks you guys (and gals) for all your help. This site is the best in the world (or a close tie with 442.com) and I wish i had found it about 5 years ago.

Olds power forever!!
Old September 9th, 2009, 09:53 AM

This isnt the best pic as I took it from the cell but I will add some pics that do my baby justice soon.
Old September 9th, 2009, 09:58 AM

Another question while I have time to write...on the 350 the lil "dipstick holder" is stuck in the engine and Im having issues with that. Any suggestions?
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:24 AM

You can't run a CCC Q-jet without a properly working ECM. Plus, your ECM isn't going to work properly without the catalytic converter, smog pump, and O2 sensor installed.

Q-jets were available in two sizes 750 cfm and 800 cfm. They used them on everything from the Olds 307 to the Olds 455 so it should work fine for your 350 (if you get the right one).

BTW, it is a pain to change freeze plugs. I think it can be done with the engine in the car...

You mentioned the "dipstick holder" is stuck in the engine. What do you mean? Do you mean the dipstick tube broke off in your block? If so you should try to remove the exhaust manifold on that side and remove the dipstick tube with a pair of vise grips.
Old September 9th, 2009, 12:55 PM

Welcome to ClassicOldsmobile Will

Last edited by Nailhead 88; September 9th, 2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: ad
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:34 PM

So I may be better off just keeping the Edelbrock?

The little "plug" at the bottom of the dipstick holder broke off where it enters the engine. The "plug" is in there, it just broke off the holder.
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Nailhead 88
Welcome to ClassicOldsmobile Will
Thank you, im glad to be here.
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:37 PM

You mentioned the "dipstick holder" is stuck in the engine. What do you mean? Do you mean the dipstick tube broke off in your block? If so you should try to remove the exhaust manifold on that side and remove the dipstick tube with a pair of vise grips.[/quote]

Im prob not explaining it properly. THe bottom part of the actual holder broke off in the engine, its pretty flush, so to speak. Im thinking I may can pry it out with a small flat screwdriver.
Old September 10th, 2009, 06:19 AM

So I may be better off just keeping the Edelbrock?
If the car has a CCC Q-jet on it right now without a functioning ECM then I would replace the Q-jet with your Edelbrock.
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
If the car has a CCC Q-jet on it right now without a functioning ECM then I would replace the Q-jet with your Edelbrock.

When we dropped the 350 in and cranked her up the q-jet started leaking and we went to get another and the sales guy ended up getting me to buy the brock.

Ive used the 'brock whole time (about 4000k) and other than sucking down gas it works well. Ive never had a check engine light come on (it does at startup so its working).

Im wondering if I went back to the q-jet would the CCC go crazy then? It seems to be controlling the advance and spark-stuff as normal. All the remaining emissions stuff remains, minus the a.i.r. pump and the ECM controleld parts on the q-jet.
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:14 AM

I want to go back to the Q-Jet.
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:44 AM

Did you use the points distributor from the 73 engine or did you use the HEI distributor from the 307 in the car orignially? If you have the points distributor in it you should be good.

If you put the CCC Q-jet on the car without a functioning ECM it WILL NOT WORK. Plus, your ECM WILL NOT WORK without a smog pump, and O2 sensor.
Old September 11th, 2009, 09:04 PM

I may be in trouble.